Dingwall Churches

Attribution: unknown (Greenhill street  in Dingwall looking North)

Castle Street Church of Scotland

The Castle Street Church of Scotland is situated in Castle Street opposite the National Hotel. Built in 1909 as the United Free Church (a result of the Union of Free and United Presbyterian Churches in 1900), the architect was William Mackintosh.

01 Dingwall Churches

Attribution: unknown

St Clement's Church of Scotland

This, the parish church of Dingwall, was completed in 1803, the previous building having fallen into a state “unworthy of repair.”

02 Dingwall Churches

Attribution: unknown

The Free Church of Scotland

The Free Church is situated opposite the railway station. Built in 1870 to replace the old Free Church in Castle Street. The architect was John Rhind, and the church is built in French Gothic style, although the octagonal dome on the spire is extremely uncommon in Gothic buildings. The church will seat 1,000 people comfortably, and was opened by the famous London preacher, Charles Haddon Spurgeon, a good friend of the first minister, the well-known Rev. John Kennedy. The building has long been admired for its beautiful interior, and particularly for its magnificent 16 foot high, stained glass ‘rose window’. A new hall was built at the rear in 1987. The congregational list includes around 180 homes, and services are held twice on Sunday with a weekly Prayer Meeting and Bible Study, as well as other meetings designed for the different age groups in the congregation.

03 Dingwall Churches

Attribution: unknown

The Free Presbyterian Church

The Free Presbyterian Church is situated in Hill Street. Built in 1959, the architect was J. Lyon of Matheson and Mackenzie. It is a harled buttress box with rubble gable, it replaced the original 1904 church (now Kirkholm) in Greenhill Street. The interior of the church is deliberately austere in keeping with the early reformed church tradition. Seating capacity – 350.

04 Dingwall Churches

Attribution: unknown

The Scottish Episcopal Church

The Episcopal Church is situated in Castle street. The Episcopalians have worshipped in the town since the Sixteenth Century, first at St. Clements and later in private houses until the first chapel was built in Castle Street in 1806. The present building, with a capacity of 128, is the fourth to be built on the site. Erected in 1871 it is of simple and sturdy gothic design, consisting of a three-bay nave with lower one-bay nave. There are stained glass windows on four walls. An organ was installed in 1872 and there is a small choir. The parish stretches from the Black Isle to Achnasheen. The Davidson Mausoleum (to the right of the church) has been located elsewhere, the hall behind the mausoleum was demolished and a new hall erected in 2005.

05 Dingwall Churches

Attribution: unknown

St. Lawrence's Roman Catholic Church

Opened 1902. The architect was William C. Jones. It was built in plain Gothic style. Above the altar there are three stained glass windows by Dom Ninian Sloane O.S.B., of Pluscarden Abbey. The Church has been refurbished. 

08 Dingwall Churches

Attribution: unknown

Cille Bhrea Chapel

Lemlair, Dingwall. [NH. 576614 – Nat. grid ref.]

The information given below, and the associated photograph, is taken from notes provided by AOC Archaeology Group, with additional details by the unknown “T.W.”

Cille Bhrea, on the north shore of the Cromarty Firth, was established by 1228 as the parish church of Lemlair and continued in use until the early 17th century. A cross inscribed slab was recovered from the foreshore and, although of uncertain date, it may suggest an earlier origin for the Christian use of the site. During the life of this parish church it became famous as the first place in Easter Ross where the Reformed Doctrine was preached by Dr. Munro of Castlecraig, who crossed the Cromarty Firth to do so. After the abandonment of the chapel in the early 17th century, the graveyard was used intermittently during the 18th and 19th centuries, with the most recent burials being from a cholera outbreak in 1836.

09 Dingwall Churches

Attribution: AOC Archaeology Group

View more photos of the Dingwall Churches

Click on photo album to view thumbnails and then click thumbnail to see the full size images 
Dingwall » Dingwall Places
11 Dingwall Places
11 Dingwall Places
Territorial Army building on Ferry Road.
10 Dingwall Places
10 Dingwall Places
Territorial Army building on Ferry Road.
13 Fingal Lodge
13 Fingal Lodge
Freemasons Lodge at west end of Dingwall.
21 Dingwall Places
21 Dingwall Places
Aerial view of Church Street.
16 Dingwall Places
16 Dingwall Places
Nicol's Court
06 Dingwall Places
06 Dingwall Places
Hill Street
02 Dingwall Places
02 Dingwall Places
Dingwall and the Black Isle from Dochcarty. [Photo Dingwall Camera Club]
Dingwall Places
Dingwall Places
A snowy Ferry Road.
22 Dingwall Places
22 Dingwall Places
Church Street at ground level, looking towards High Street.
27 Dingwall Places
27 Dingwall Places
In Tulloch Street, across the road from St Clement's, stands the Old Academy complex and in this building is the Community Centre.
07 Dingwall Places
07 Dingwall Places
Park Street with Free Church in background.
08 Dingwall Places
08 Dingwall Places
Railway Station
15 Dingwall Places
15 Dingwall Places
Older properties include Lochiel Place.
31 Dingwall Places
31 Dingwall Places
At the start of Craig Road is the canal built by Thomas Telford.
28 Dingwall Places
28 Dingwall Places
"Over the fence" from the Old Academy lies the site of the former Dingwall Castle including its Doocot, seen here surrounded by scaffolding and awaiting repairs to its structure.
33 Dingwall Places
33 Dingwall Places
A short distance away, on your left, is Pefferside Park and boating pond, gifted to the town by Dingwall Fire Brigade Club.
29 Dingwall Places
29 Dingwall Places
A short distance from the Doocot is the Episcopal Church.
25 Dingwall Places
25 Dingwall Places
St Clement's Church
26 Dingwall Places
26 Dingwall Places
St Clement's church adjacent to the marts' site, now Tesco.
04 Dingwall Places
04 Dingwall Places
Towering above Dingwall is the Macdonald monument, built to honour Major General Sir Hector Macdonald, a local man who rose from Private through the ranks of the British Army. He was victor of the battle of Omdurman in the Sudan war. His monument is surrounded by the local cemetery known as Mitchell Hill.
03 Dingwall Places
03 Dingwall Places
Macdonald Memorial.
30 Dingwall Places
30 Dingwall Places
At the top of Tulloch Street is the Bank of Scotland.
37 Dingwall Places
37 Dingwall Places
To the left of Tulloch flats is Dingwall Primary School, originally part of Dingwall Academy but now a separate building.
36 Dingwall Places
36 Dingwall Places
On the road to Tulloch Castle hotel are the Tulloch flats, once known as Mackay Hostel, the home of boys from the west coast who attended Dingwall Academy.
14 Dingwall Places
14 Dingwall Places
Houses in Boggan Bank, opposite Fingal Lodge.
18 Dingwall Places
18 Dingwall Places
Looking down the "close" adjacent to Munro's butcher's shop towards the windows of Dingwall Camera Club's base.
19 Dingwall Places
19 Dingwall Places
The mechanism of the Town Clock, now redundant following renovation of the town hall tower.
01 Dingwall Places
01 Dingwall Places
Ben Wyvis 3432 ft (1046m) as seen from south entrance to Dingwall. Petrol station forecourt no longer exists and the building formerly known as The Park (out of sight) is now a local authority office. [Photo J W Bruce, 2001]
34 Dingwall Places
34 Dingwall Places
Behind the pond could be seen Dingwall Academy, opened in 1939, with its extensive playingfields in front, on which the "new" Dingwall Academy now stands.
23 Dingwall Places
23 Dingwall Places
Reith & Anderson's auction mart at the foot of Church Street with Ian Tolmie on the rostrum.
32 Dingwall Places
32 Dingwall Places
A less attractive photo of part of the canal with the Cromarty Firth in the background. [Photo source unknown]
24 Dingwall Places
24 Dingwall Places
At the foot of Church Street, Hamilton and Reith & Anderson auction marts, now combined and operating on a site outwith Dingwall.
20A Dingwall Places
20A Dingwall Places
Beside Dingwall Museum is Eagle Close, above which is the headquarters of Dingwall Camera Club.
03 Dingwall Places
03 Dingwall Places
The Cromarty firth and Black Isle taken from the old ferry crossing Dingwall - Alcaig.
05 Dingwall Places
05 Dingwall Places
The Macdonald Memorial in course of construction [F W Urquhart photograph]
12 Dingwall Places
12 Dingwall Places
Police Station, adjacent to Fingal Lodge.
20 Dingwall Places
20 Dingwall Places
For a few years the Mercat Cross was sited outside the Towh Hall but due to deterioration it was moved into Dingwall Museum.,
02 Dingwall Places
02 Dingwall Places
The Black Isle from Cluny Hill.
35 Dingwall Places
35 Dingwall Places
At the foot of 'Kinnairdie brae' the home and garden of Mr William Logan whose construction firm built the Tay Road Bridge, several of the hydro dams and power stations around the Highlands. His firm employed mainly local labour.
17 Dingwall Places
17 Dingwall Places
Across the High Street from Nicol's Court was Woolworths store which closed, nationally, in 2008 and became the Factory Shop in 2010.

Please submit your comment

Do you have any more information about any of the content on this page.

Your comments are always welcome: