Dingwall - A Pictish Stone
Attribution: Image by indianabones from Pixabay (A cairn of stones)
In August 2019 the news broke that a carved Pictish stone had been discovered at the site of an early Christian church in the Dingwall area.
The stone, thought to have been carved around 1200 years ago, is decorated with a number of Pictish symbols and is likely to have measured more than two metres in height when originally carved. It has been described as bearing two massive beasts “unlike anything found on any other Pictish stone” and has lain on the ground since at least the 1700s when it was reused as a grave marker..
While undertaking a survey of the church site earlier in 2019, Anne Macinnes of the North of Scotland Archaeological Society (NOSAS) was clearing vegetation, saw the carving and recognised its importance. Her find was subsequently verified by archaeologists from Highland Council and Historic Environment Scotland.
Gravestone replacing the Pictish stone
The Pictish stone had been used as a grave marker commemorating a McAulay family and so NOSAS arranged to have a replica made and erected. This gained approval from Clan McAulay who gave a generous donation towards the project.
The inscription on the Gravestone reads:
January 2 1796
The two images above show the stone at the consevators