Dingwall Of Old – a Virtual Tour

Attribution: unknown (Greenhill street  in Dingwall looking North)

Dingwall history in old photographs - a virtual stroll around the town

On this page you will see extracts from a virtual tour via photographs.  Please view the photograph album at the bottom of this page for the full tour.

01 Dingwall of old

Clark’s print of 1824 with the main road arriving at what is now Hill Street.

Attribution: Dingwall Museum

Extract from the Highland News of 18 August 1906:

Contractors for New Post Office: The following are the contractors for the new Post Office, the foundations of which are now being cleared. Mason, Wm Maclean, Dingwall; carpenter, Wm Macdonald, Dingwall; slater, James Gray & Son, Inverness; plumbers, R Mackenzie & Son, Dingwall; plasterer, Roderick Ross, Invergordon; painter, Hugh Ross & Son, Dingwall; blacksmith and tile work, the Rose Street Foundry Company, Inverness. The new building, which occupies a convenient site, will be fitted up throughout with the electric light. The plan, which has been specially arranged by the Post Office authorities, shows that the building will be a commodious one, and will greatly facilitate the working of the staff. The building will have an ornate frontage of well-dressed freestone. The architects are Messrs Ross & Macbeth, Inverness. [Information supplied by Caroline Vawdrey.]

11 Dingwall of old

Attribution: Dingwall Museum

The National Bank of Scotland

Across from the Free Church, this building was the National Bank, then headquarters of the North of Scotland Hydro Electric Board and, currently, the Highland Theological College.

The National Bank of Scotland amalgamated with the Commercial Bank in 1959 to become the National Commercial Bank and moved to the Commercial Bank’s premises, adjacent to the Post Office, in 1961. In turn, this bank amalgamated with, and became, the Royal Bank of Scotland in 1969.

The original Royal Bank of Scotland operated from a small unit within the offices of T S H Burns & Son, solicitors, Park Street, until (early 1960s?) a new bank was built on the site of a former garage at the corner of Hill Street/HighStreet, where it served the public until it operated from the bank premises adjacent to the Post Office.

The unoccupied building was purchased by Ross and Cromarty District Council and became the Motor Taxation Office, then sold to become a frozen food shop, after which the Post Office acquired it on moving from their Park Street/High Street site, where it continued operating until moving to a unit in the Spar Shop at the other end of High Street.

13 Dingwall of old

Attribution: Dingwall Museum

"the boys' hostel"

At the end of High Street, where the road continues to Strathpeffer, and now adjacent to the Highland Council offices, stood “the boys’ hostel” where generations of boys from the west coast of the county lived while continuing their secondary education in Dingwall Academy. This originally was the home of Provost Robertson whose daughter married Prime Minister William Gladstone.

26 Dingwall of old

Attribution: Dingwall Museum

Lewis Fraser, saddler

At the junction with Tulloch Street was Lewis Fraser, saddler. [Ross and Cromarty Heritage Society is grateful to Miss Anne Fraser, Dingwall, daughter of Lewis M Fraser, for permission to copy the postcards which she owns.]

This postcard shows a youthful Lewis M Fraser with a younger brother, Francis, who eventually became curator of the Natural History Museum, London. At the age of 18, Lewis completed his apprenticeship as a saddler prior to the unexpected death of his father, James, leaving Lewis to support a large family of brothers and sisters. During the Second World War a sister, Jessie, had been on holiday in Dingwall when France fell, and she decided to return to Jersey to collect her belongings. Alas, the Nazis were in occupation and Jessie was interned for the remainder of the War. Another brother, Jim, had a distinguished career with the Forestry Commission. [Information supplied by Miss Anne Fraser.]

30 Dingwall of old

Attribution: Dingwall Museum

Going back to Dingwall High Street in 1932 ......

Man on left standing outside what is now Boots, chemist. Shop on right became shoe shop (Easifit), later Pullars (drycleaners) and in 2010 is a Pizza supplier. The door on High Street became a single window during post-War alterations when the corner with Tulloch Street was replaced with a pillar and the entrance was a diagonal between the two streets. The building was refurbished in 2008-09 following the closure of Pullars and the entrance in 2010 has reverted to that of pre-War.

In September 2011 an article by John Macleod appeared in the Ross-shire Journal identifying the child in the pram as Munro Stewart, a Dingwall native now retired and living in Conon Bridge. Munro had seen this photograph during a visit to Dingwall Museum (as it features in the museum’s calendar for 2012) and volunteered some information.

Munro had seen the photograph originally when he and his wife Morag were house-hunting and had gone into a local cafe where the picture was displayed on a wall. Munro recognised his mother, Margaret, with a friend, possibly Chrissie Dunbar who lived in Ferintosh distillery buildings. He estimates that the photograph would have been taken around 1932 when he would have been two-and-a-half years and when the family lived in Leopold Place.

Dingwall forebears for Munro are grandfather George, who was a local butcher and lived in Rose Cottage, Tulloch Street, long since demolished, and father Jimmy, who was a popular auctioneer in Fraser’s Auction Rooms when they, too, were located in Tulloch Street.

Munro’s own background reveals that he was captain of Dingwall Academy football team prior to playing for Dingwall Thistle and Ross County. Called up for National Service in 1947, he served in the Royal Signals before resuming work in the finance department of Ross and Cromarty County Council. He also worked in councils in Wick and Dunoon before joining Argyll and Bute as director of finance until his retirement in 1990.

[Information in article reproduced by courtesy of the Ross-shire Journal – editor@rsjournal.co.uk ]

38 Dingwall of old

Attribution: Dingwall Museum

39 Dingwall of old

Munro Stewart in September 2011

Attribution: Photograph courtesy of Uisdean Menzies – uisdean@fraser-menzies.fsnet.co.uk

View the Virtual photographic tour

Click on photo album to view thumbnails and then click thumbnail to see the full size images 
Dingwall » Dingwall Places
11 Dingwall Places
11 Dingwall Places
Territorial Army building on Ferry Road.
10 Dingwall Places
10 Dingwall Places
Territorial Army building on Ferry Road.
13 Fingal Lodge
13 Fingal Lodge
Freemasons Lodge at west end of Dingwall.
21 Dingwall Places
21 Dingwall Places
Aerial view of Church Street.
16 Dingwall Places
16 Dingwall Places
Nicol's Court
06 Dingwall Places
06 Dingwall Places
Hill Street
02 Dingwall Places
02 Dingwall Places
Dingwall and the Black Isle from Dochcarty. [Photo Dingwall Camera Club]
Dingwall Places
Dingwall Places
A snowy Ferry Road.
22 Dingwall Places
22 Dingwall Places
Church Street at ground level, looking towards High Street.
27 Dingwall Places
27 Dingwall Places
In Tulloch Street, across the road from St Clement's, stands the Old Academy complex and in this building is the Community Centre.
07 Dingwall Places
07 Dingwall Places
Park Street with Free Church in background.
08 Dingwall Places
08 Dingwall Places
Railway Station
15 Dingwall Places
15 Dingwall Places
Older properties include Lochiel Place.
31 Dingwall Places
31 Dingwall Places
At the start of Craig Road is the canal built by Thomas Telford.
28 Dingwall Places
28 Dingwall Places
"Over the fence" from the Old Academy lies the site of the former Dingwall Castle including its Doocot, seen here surrounded by scaffolding and awaiting repairs to its structure.
33 Dingwall Places
33 Dingwall Places
A short distance away, on your left, is Pefferside Park and boating pond, gifted to the town by Dingwall Fire Brigade Club.
29 Dingwall Places
29 Dingwall Places
A short distance from the Doocot is the Episcopal Church.
25 Dingwall Places
25 Dingwall Places
St Clement's Church
26 Dingwall Places
26 Dingwall Places
St Clement's church adjacent to the marts' site, now Tesco.
04 Dingwall Places
04 Dingwall Places
Towering above Dingwall is the Macdonald monument, built to honour Major General Sir Hector Macdonald, a local man who rose from Private through the ranks of the British Army. He was victor of the battle of Omdurman in the Sudan war. His monument is surrounded by the local cemetery known as Mitchell Hill.
03 Dingwall Places
03 Dingwall Places
Macdonald Memorial.
30 Dingwall Places
30 Dingwall Places
At the top of Tulloch Street is the Bank of Scotland.
37 Dingwall Places
37 Dingwall Places
To the left of Tulloch flats is Dingwall Primary School, originally part of Dingwall Academy but now a separate building.
36 Dingwall Places
36 Dingwall Places
On the road to Tulloch Castle hotel are the Tulloch flats, once known as Mackay Hostel, the home of boys from the west coast who attended Dingwall Academy.
14 Dingwall Places
14 Dingwall Places
Houses in Boggan Bank, opposite Fingal Lodge.
18 Dingwall Places
18 Dingwall Places
Looking down the "close" adjacent to Munro's butcher's shop towards the windows of Dingwall Camera Club's base.
19 Dingwall Places
19 Dingwall Places
The mechanism of the Town Clock, now redundant following renovation of the town hall tower.
01 Dingwall Places
01 Dingwall Places
Ben Wyvis 3432 ft (1046m) as seen from south entrance to Dingwall. Petrol station forecourt no longer exists and the building formerly known as The Park (out of sight) is now a local authority office. [Photo J W Bruce, 2001]
34 Dingwall Places
34 Dingwall Places
Behind the pond could be seen Dingwall Academy, opened in 1939, with its extensive playingfields in front, on which the "new" Dingwall Academy now stands.
23 Dingwall Places
23 Dingwall Places
Reith & Anderson's auction mart at the foot of Church Street with Ian Tolmie on the rostrum.
32 Dingwall Places
32 Dingwall Places
A less attractive photo of part of the canal with the Cromarty Firth in the background. [Photo source unknown]
24 Dingwall Places
24 Dingwall Places
At the foot of Church Street, Hamilton and Reith & Anderson auction marts, now combined and operating on a site outwith Dingwall.
20A Dingwall Places
20A Dingwall Places
Beside Dingwall Museum is Eagle Close, above which is the headquarters of Dingwall Camera Club.
03 Dingwall Places
03 Dingwall Places
The Cromarty firth and Black Isle taken from the old ferry crossing Dingwall - Alcaig.
05 Dingwall Places
05 Dingwall Places
The Macdonald Memorial in course of construction [F W Urquhart photograph]
12 Dingwall Places
12 Dingwall Places
Police Station, adjacent to Fingal Lodge.
20 Dingwall Places
20 Dingwall Places
For a few years the Mercat Cross was sited outside the Towh Hall but due to deterioration it was moved into Dingwall Museum.,
02 Dingwall Places
02 Dingwall Places
The Black Isle from Cluny Hill.
35 Dingwall Places
35 Dingwall Places
At the foot of 'Kinnairdie brae' the home and garden of Mr William Logan whose construction firm built the Tay Road Bridge, several of the hydro dams and power stations around the Highlands. His firm employed mainly local labour.
17 Dingwall Places
17 Dingwall Places
Across the High Street from Nicol's Court was Woolworths store which closed, nationally, in 2008 and became the Factory Shop in 2010.

Please submit your comment

Do you have any more information about any of the content on this page.

Your comments are always welcome: