Blythswood Shoebox Appeal

Attribution: S. Fraser (Maryburgh Primary School March 2015)

Blythswood Shoebox Appeal - Maryburgh Free Church Hall

Since 2001 people from Maryburgh/Conon, and their friends from the surrounding district, gather in Maryburgh Free Church hall each October-November to check and supplement shoeboxes of small gifts donated to Blythswood Care for the benefit of disadvantaged people in (mainly European) countries with fragile economies.

Customs regulations in such countries often ban certain items and so each shoebox must be checked to exclude these and then have items inserted which are regarded as “necessities”, such as toiletries and new, warm clothing, often referred to as “fillers”.

These “fillers” are acquired through the generosity of many throughout the year, collected by Blythswood and then delivered to the hall prior to commencement of the checking process. Indeed, since 2015, a group of volunteers from the Maryburgh district has continued to meet, fortnightly, in the hall, to knit garments which will help bring comfort in countries where winter temperatures can be less than zero. Other volunteers continue to seek out bargains throughout the year and produce these when the exercise begins each October.

 

04 Ladies' and girls' underwear and scarves.

Attribution: unknown

The categories are: Man, Woman, Elderly Woman, Teen boy, Teen girl, Boy 8-12, Girl 8-12, Boy 3-7, Girl 3-7 and Baby. Those checking the boxes are joined by a team of men who pack individual boxes into large boxes, each showing the category and number within, and each day’s output is collected by Blythswood and, subsequently, transferred to the container lorries heading for a country. As the number participating in checking the shoeboxes can reach 25, you may imagine how hard – nevertheless cheerfully – these men work each day! Also, it is amazing what can be packed into the space of an average shoebox.

During October-November 2016 Maryburgh group achieved a personal record of 11,701 shoeboxes checked and filled! The 2016 Appeal allowed 121,474 boxes to be distributed.

For those who like facts – the first shoebox appeal in 1993 achieved 300 boxes and by 2016 Blythswood’s total had reached 2 million.

View more photographs from the Shoebox Appeal

Click on photo album to view thumbnails and then click thumbnail to see the full size images 
Maryburgh » Maryburgh Environment » Maryburgh River Bridges
Construction of the new bridge - 1979 - photo 2
Construction of the new bridge - 1979 - photo 2
Construction of the new bridge - 1979 - picture 3
Construction of the new bridge - 1979 - picture 3
Construction of the new bridge - 1979 - picture1
Construction of the new bridge - 1979 - picture1
A835 Sign
A835 Sign
A835
A835
Prior to the opening of the Kessock Bridge, a new road, the A835, was built. From a roundabout at the east end of Maryburgh this continues across the Black Isle to Tore roundabout where it joins the dual carriageway leading to Kessock Bridge.
Boys on bikes - Crossing the old Conon Bridge
Boys on bikes - Crossing the old Conon Bridge
The new road bridge across the River Conon,replacing Telford's bridge, opened on 30th May 1969.
The new road bridge across the River Conon,replacing Telford's bridge, opened on 30th May 1969.
The bridge built by Thomas Telford connecting Maryburgh with Conon.
The bridge built by Thomas Telford connecting Maryburgh with Conon.
Remnants of old with new in the background.
Remnants of old with new in the background.
Demolition of the old bridge.
Demolition of the old bridge.
The old Toll House at the Maryburgh side of Telford's bridge.
The old Toll House at the Maryburgh side of Telford's bridge.
The plaque on the Maryburgh side of the rail bridge commemorates the opening of the Inverness and Ross-shire Railway on 11 June 1862
The plaque on the Maryburgh side of the rail bridge commemorates the opening of the Inverness and Ross-shire Railway on 11 June 1862
The plaque on the Maryburgh side of the rail bridge commemorates the opening of the Inverness and Ross-shire Railway on 11 June 1862. It lists the directors of the company, the civil engineer and the contractor. [Photo courtesy of Douglas Chisholm.]
The frozen River Conon in the early part of the 20th century
The frozen River Conon in the early part of the 20th century
The frozen River Conon in the early part of the 20th century showing the rail bridge and the road bridge in the background. [Photo: RCHS]
The bridge in the 21st century, looking upstream.
The bridge in the 21st century, looking upstream.
The view looking upstream showing the metal bridge carrying utility pipes between Maryburgh and Conon and the railway bridge behind.
The view looking upstream showing the metal bridge carrying utility pipes between Maryburgh and Conon and the railway bridge behind.

Please submit your comment

Do you have any more information about any of the content on this page.

Your comments are always welcome: