Tollie and Loch Ussie Schools

Attribution: S. Fraser (Maryburgh Primary School March 2015)

TOLLIE and LOCHUSSIE SCHOOLS

The second statistical account (1907), mentions a school at Tollie, attended by 70 pupils who were taught english, gaelic, writing and arithmetic. This school was closed around 1882.

The site of the school is marked on the map, and the photograph shows what remains of the building.

Ruins of Tollie School

Attribution: unknown

Tollie school site

Attribution: unknown

Scout Association

The old cottage and adjacent land at Tollie, Brahan, was gifted to the Scout Association for training purposes and as a camp site in the late 60s/early 70s. The cottage was upgraded and was re-opened in July 1987 by the late Mrs Matheson of Brahan who is seen here receiving a basket of flowers from Stuart Bain and Alan Walmsley. To Mrs Matheson’s right is the late Alexander Ferguson, Rector of Dingwall Academy.

The camp site closed in [?] and the area is now a golf course and a centre for observing Red Kite raptors.

Scout Centre

Attribution: unknown

LOCHUSSIE SCHOOL

Lochussie school 1947-48.

Pupils at Lochussie school 1947 – 1948

Attribution: unknown

Lochussie school

Attribution: unknown

SCHOOL CLOSES AFTER QUARTER OF A CENTURY

The doors of the little, green wooden school nestling in the beautiful hills of Lochussie have closed for the last time. The Ross-shire Education Authority have decided to close the school which has served the children from crofts and cottages in the area for quarter of a century.

Needless to say last Friday afternoon, at the annual prize-giving, was a sad occasion for all – parents, former pupils and the 10 children attending the school. But none more so than for the teacher there for 16 of its 25 years, Mrs Annie Mackenzie. Mrs Mackenzie, who resides at Knockfarrel, has been given a similar position at Killearnan.

 

Closure of Loch Ussie School

Attribution: unknown

Friday’s gathering was presided over by Mr William John Mackay, Ian Mor, Knockfarrel, the chairman of the local branch of the Crofters’ Association. Mr Mackay referred to the fine capabilities of Mrs Mackenzie as a woman and teacher, and said that the closing of the school was a “very sad occasion”. He then called on local resident Mrs E. Ross, for many the school’s cook and cleaner, to present to Mrs Mackenzie with a handsome writing bureau suitably inscribed. The bureau was a token of respect for all Mrs Mackenzie had done for the community from the parents of pupils past and present. The oldest pupil, Brian Cameron, then presented a travelling clock to Mrs Mackenzie on behalf of the pupils, and the youngest pupil, Bryan Macleod, presented her with a beautiful bouquet. Mrs Ross was the recipient of an electric kettle handed over to her by pupil Isobel Simpson.

It was with great feeling that Mrs Mackenzie addressed the gathering and recalled her many happy hours in the little school. She referred to the many pupils who had passed through her hands and finished their education to make their mark in the outside world.
The ten children, with their prizes of books and purses on their laps, sat silently as they listened to their teacher’s voice for the last time in their little schoolroom. Even the five-year-olds were on their best behaviour, as if sensing the end of an era. And Mrs Mackenzie, with tears welling in her kind eyes, had a word for each one of them.

The ceremony over, the children, who will continue their education at nearby Maryburgh School, ran happily out to their compact playing field to take part in their annual sports. Yes, Friday was a sad day in Lochussie ….. but we are sure that every pupil who commenced their education in that schoolroom in its picturesque surroundings, will always remember those days.

View more photographs of the schools

Click on photo album to view thumbnails and then click thumbnail to see the full size images 
Maryburgh » Maryburgh History » Maryburgh Prisoner Of War Camp
All but three huts have been pulled down.
All but three huts have been pulled down.
THE CAMP AS IT WAS IN 1998
The site was used as a storage area for farm machinery
The site was used as a storage area for farm machinery
THE CAMP AS IT WAS IN 1998
All but three huts have been pulled down.
All but three huts have been pulled down.
THE CAMP AS IT WAS IN 1998
All but three huts have been pulled down.
All but three huts have been pulled down.
THE CAMP AS IT WAS IN 1998
The Camp as it was in 1998
The Camp as it was in 1998
The camp as it was in 1998
The camp as it was in 1998
THE CAMP AS IT WAS IN 2000
THE CAMP AS IT WAS IN 2000
THE CAMP AS IT WAS IN 2000 Early in the year 2000 the trees surrounding the camp were taken down. This actually gives a much better impression of what the camp was like during the war. This has also cleared the area where the football pitch was located and can be seen quite clearly. Two other concrete foundations are also visible including the spot where the "glasshouse" was possibly situated. The close proximity of the factor's house to the camp is also very visible (first photo).
THE CAMP AS IT WAS IN 2000
THE CAMP AS IT WAS IN 2000
THE CAMP AS IT WAS IN 2000 Early in the year 2000 the trees surrounding the camp were taken down. This actually gives a much better impression of what the camp was like during the war. This has also cleared the area where the football pitch was located and can be seen quite clearly. Two other concrete foundations are also visible including the spot where the "glasshouse" was possibly situated. The close proximity of the factor's house to the camp is also very visible (first photo).
THE CAMP AS IT WAS IN 2000
THE CAMP AS IT WAS IN 2000
THE CAMP AS IT WAS IN 2000 Early in the year 2000 the trees surrounding the camp were taken down. This actually gives a much better impression of what the camp was like during the war. This has also cleared the area where the football pitch was located and can be seen quite clearly. Two other concrete foundations are also visible including the spot where the "glasshouse" was possibly situated. The close proximity of the factor's house to the camp is also very visible (first photo).
The official line dried up before it got started so I decided to go with the local history available.
The official line dried up before it got started so I decided to go with the local history available.
Celebration of 1953 Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II
Celebration of 1953 Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II
Estate workers children were given commemorative tins to mark the Queen's Coronation in 1953. This photo shows the presentation taking place at the former camp. The huts can be seen quite clearly in the background.
Original entrance roadway
Original entrance roadway
Original entrance roadway. There were two entrances. One was quite grand with a proper sentry gate and three enormous stone emblems. There were also flags flying alongside.
Hut foundations are clearly visible.
Hut foundations are clearly visible.
THE CAMP AS IT WAS IN 1998
Macrae's Garage, Dingwall
Macrae's Garage, Dingwall
The garage has been ideitified as Macrae's Garage at the corner of Hill Street and High Street. The site became a building used as the local (motor) taxation office and then Dingwall Post Office before this office moved to the west end of High Street in 2013. The man second from left was Finlay Forbes from Muir of Ord and the woman was Anne Macdonald (Gordon) from Strathpeffer.
One of the remaining huts with stove.
One of the remaining huts with stove.
THE CAMP AS IT WAS IN 1998
In 1998 the one remaining hut was still being used by the local Venture Scout Group.
In 1998 the one remaining hut was still being used by the local Venture Scout Group.
THE CAMP AS IT WAS IN 1998
Prisoner of War Camp, Brahan
Prisoner of War Camp, Brahan
Map showing location of the camp
Map showing location of the camp
The site of the former camp is to be found along the Maryburgh to Ullapool road approximately two miles from the village of Maryburgh and on the left hand side. It lies between the house named Tallysow and the North Lodge. It is part of the large, historically important estate of Brahan which is owned by Mr A M H Matheson.
Artist: Unknown POW, Brahan. (The painting was salvaged fom the wall of a camp building.)
Artist: Unknown POW, Brahan. (The painting was salvaged fom the wall of a camp building.)
Dingwall Thistle Football Club
Dingwall Thistle Football Club
Dingwall Thistle Football Club Back row, l-r: Johnnny Macdonald, Ackie Macpherson, Sonny Sutherland, Angus Goodall, Willie Shearer, David Hamilton, Duncan Ross, Polson Morrison, Willie Wilson. Front row, l-r: Hugh Urquhart, Jimmy Shand, ? Seigall, Davie Lawson, James Macdonald
Plan of POW Camp
Plan of POW Camp
Photocopy of a postcard sent home to Germany in 1947 by a POW at Brahan
Photocopy of a postcard sent home to Germany in 1947 by a POW at Brahan
P.O.W. Herbert / Peter Wilson / James Wilson (estate factor ) / Jimmy Wilson / P.O.W. Peter
P.O.W. Herbert / Peter Wilson / James Wilson (estate factor ) / Jimmy Wilson / P.O.W. Peter
Prisoner of War - now living locally
Prisoner of War - now living locally
Prisoners of War
Prisoners of War
Letter from daughter of a German POW
Letter from daughter of a German POW
The letter and photo below came from the daughter of a German POW who worked as the ration wagon driver at Brahan.
The ablutions.
The ablutions.
THE CAMP AS IT WAS IN 1998
The ablutions.
The ablutions.
THE CAMP AS IT WAS IN 1998
The remaining ablutions hut.
The remaining ablutions hut.
THE CAMP AS IT WAS IN 1998
The stone Ukranian Emblem dated 1949
The stone Ukranian Emblem dated 1949
This stone was to be seen at the site for a number of years. Another emblem was removed at some point and acquired by the lady owner of Malton Ville in Conon Bridge. When she moved to Grantown the stone emblem went too. It is not known whether that stone was returned to Brahan.
The stone Ukranian Emblem dated 1949
The stone Ukranian Emblem dated 1949
This stone was to be seen at the site for a number of years. Another emblem was removed at some point and acquired by the lady owner of Malton Ville in Conon Bridge. When she moved to Grantown the stone emblem went too. It is not known whether that stone was returned to Brahan.
The remains of the water tower.
The remains of the water tower.
THE CAMP AS IT WAS IN 1998
Beaufort Castle
Beaufort Castle
Although thjis is Beaufort castle, Beauly, Heinz Mainus was transferred from the POW camp at Brahan
Heinrich Mainus
Heinrich Mainus
Heinrich Mainus or Heinz, was transferred from Brahan POW camp to Kiltarlity whetre he remained after the war.
POW Brahan/Beauly ID card
POW Brahan/Beauly ID card
This is the ID card of Heinrich Mainus who was transferred from the Brahan camp to the cam at Kiltarlity
POW Brahan postcard
POW Brahan postcard

Please submit your comment

Do you have any more information about any of the content on this page.

Your comments are always welcome: