Maryburgh Past Industries

Attribution: S. Fraser (Maryburgh Primary School March 2015)

Ussie Mill

This Corn and Meal mill was in operation during the second half of the 18th century.

This Corn and Meal mill was in operation during the second half of the 18th century.

Attribution: unknown

CARDEN MILL

The CARDEN MILL is possibly of the same period as the USSIE MILL but, although the lade can be identified, only the outline ruins of the building foundation can be seen.

The Fodderty Parish Valuation Roll with the Carden Mill and Land listed

Attribution: unknown

Snuff and Lint Mill

The location of the SNUFF and LINT MILL is shown on an ESTATE MAP dated 1787, but there is no evidence to be seen of its exact location today.

The location of the SNUFF and LINT MILL is shown on an ESTATE MAP dated 1787

Attribution: unknown

Brick and Tile Works

On a later map, dated 1847, a brick and tile works is shown as being in production on a site immediately below the old road bridge at the north-east end of the village and probably continued in operation to a much later date. In fact, the modernisation of some old properties in Maryburgh has revealed the use of MARYBURGH BRICKS.

Maryburgh bricks used in construction of old properties in Maryburgh

Attribution: unknown

View more photos relating to past industries

Click on photo album to view thumbnails and then click thumbnail to see the full size images 
Maryburgh » Maryburgh History » Maryburgh Seaforth Sanitorium » Maryburgh Seaforth Sanitorium
   
Seaforth Home Adult Training Centre 1974
Plaque recording building use as an auxiliary hospital
Memorial stone (surmounted by Mackenzie crest)
Seaforth Home Adult Training Centre 1974
Seaforth Home Adult Training Centre 1974
Laying Foundation Stone 27th November 1908
On duty.
Maryburgh in the background.
Heather and another nurse
Relaxing
Private George Rennie, The Royal Scots
Private W Marshall, 2nd Gordon Highlanders
Dominique Nythenhove, 6th regiment de Ligne
Private E Smith, 2nd Battalion Warwicks and Private A Cameron, 1st Seaforth Highlanders
Andre Flamand, 11th Infantry
Charles Van de Kirkhoven, 3rd (fighter on foot) Infantry
Joseph De Gombert, 5th Infantry,
Seaforth Centre before the A835 was built
Seaforth Children's Home 1957-1965
Seaforth Children's Home 1957-1965
Seaforth Children's Home 1957-1965
Seaforth Children's Home 1957-1965
Nurse Shirley Maureen Booth on left with her friend and fellow nurse, Mary Ledingham, from Invergordon. They each dressed up to entertain the children.
Opening ceremony.
Attractive art deco entrance.
"Laying foundation stone Seaforth Sanatorium 27 November 1906."
Seaforth Home Adult Training Centre 1974
m26_ht_oh_sc_log.gif
Seaforth Centre aka Seaforth Sanatorium
Opening of Seaforth Sanatorium
Seaforth Home Adult Training Centre 1974
Plaque recording building use as an auxiliary hospital
Memorial stone (surmounted by Mackenzie crest)
Seaforth Home Adult Training Centre 1974
Seaforth Home Adult Training Centre 1974
Laying Foundation Stone 27th November 1908
On duty.
Maryburgh in the background.
Heather and another nurse
Relaxing
Private George Rennie, The Royal Scots
Private W Marshall, 2nd Gordon Highlanders
 

Please submit your comment

Do you have any more information about any of the content on this page.

Your comments are always welcome: