Maryburgh Folk

Attribution: S. Fraser (Maryburgh Primary School March 2015)

Angus Mackenzie

This picture was taken at the time of the Paris Olympics 1924 and the laying of a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Warrior. The piper standing closest to the then Prince of Wales (later Edward VIII and even later the Duke of Windsor) is Angus Mackenzie of Maryburgh.
The British Olympic team in the background is the team that many years later inspired the famous film Chariots of Fire.

Angus Mackenzie of Maryburgh, piper

Attribution: [Photograph courtesy of Bill and Joan Mackenzie]

Mrs Margaret Mackay

Margaret Mackay was born on 3 October 1914 and brought up in Lochinver where she had her primary education prior to attending Golspie High School. When the Second World War broke out, Margaret joined the WRNS, being stationed at first at Evanton. Later, as an officer, she served at Admiralty Headquarters and also at Machrihanish.

Following war service, Margaret married William Mackay, who was a railway employee and finally station master at Conon Bridge until the station closed in 1960. Then Margaret and William lived in Invergordon for a time but moved to Maryburgh where Margaret took an active part in village life, being a regular attender at Maryburgh Free Church. She lived an independent life into her 90s, including daily visits to the local shop and helping with the annual checking of Blythswood shoeboxes in the Free Church hall. Unfortunately, in January 2014 she suffered a fall, had a spell in hospital and then moved to residential care in Wyvis House.

Good genes are obviously in Margaret’s family because her grandfather, a crofter near Lochinver, lived to 103 years!

Mrs Margaret Mackay on 3 October 2014, celebrating her 100th birthday

Mrs Margaret Mackay on 3 October 2014, celebrating her 100th birthday with family and friends in Wyvis House, Dingwall, and showing her congratulatory card from HM The Queen.
Attribution: unknown

Mary Gordon Ross (later Menzies)

FIRST MEMBER OF THE A.T.S. TO ENTER GERMANY

The first member of the A.T.S. to enter Germany, was Junior Commander Mary Gordon Ross, of Culbokie, Ross-shire, who, since February, has been Catering Adviser to a British General Hospital of the Rhone.

She arrived at the hospital only 24 hours after it opened with 300 beds, she heard guns not many miles away. Within the first week 1,400 new patients were admitted, but this Scots girl, who was trained at a London catering establishment before the war, was not flustered, and both wounded men and staff got all the food they needed.

Junior Commander Ross started her A.T.S. career as a cook, and worked her way through the ranks to sergeant major before being commissioned. She later ran an A.T.S. cookery school in the West of England and was also messing for a time to a unit of the Seaforth Highlanders. She still wears her skirt of Seaforth Tartan with her uniform when off duty.

Now that the war in Europe is over, she continues to cater for anything from 500 to 1,500 people of all nationalities, including allied wounded, German prisoners of war and hundreds of “displaced persons” as well as the hospital staff.

She wants to stay on in the A.T.S., but her chief ambition is to do the same sort of job for a military hospital in the Far East.

Please visit the photo album below to see more photographs of Mary and the official documents showing her commendation.

Mary Gordon Ross (later Menzies)

Mary Gordon Ross (later Menzies) 248962 J/Cmdr ATS Catering Pool, Army School Cookery, Aldershot. Left 28 September 1945. BEM. Mentioned in Dispatches.
Attribution: unknown

View further photographs of Maryburgh Folk

Click on photo album to view thumbnails and then click thumbnail to see the full size images 
Maryburgh » Maryburgh History » Maryburgh Brahan Castle
Brahan Castle
Brahan Castle
Another view of Brahan Castle. [Photo courtesy of Mavor Wilson.]
Brahan Castle
Brahan Castle
Brahan Castle
Brahan Castle
Photograph donated by Mrs Rosemary Henderson, Maryburgh. Note the two stags at the front of the Castle.
Ornamental Stags
Ornamental Stags
Dingwall Volunteers Band
Dingwall Volunteers Band
Dingwall Volunteers Band at front of Brahan Castle, date unknown. [Photo courtesy of Lewis Mackenzie.]
Old Colours of Seaforth
Old Colours of Seaforth
Old Colours of Seaforth. (The small boy on the left is Jimmy Wilson, son of the Estate Factor.)
Built in the early 17th century, it was a stronghold of the MacKenzies
Built in the early 17th century, it was a stronghold of the MacKenzies
Due to the exorbitant costs of upgrading, Brahan Castle was dismantled in 1953. Built in the early 17th century, it was a stronghold of the MacKenzies.
The Entrance to the Castle
The Entrance to the Castle
[W J MacCulloch collection]
Ornamental Stags
Ornamental Stags
A fine pair of ornamental stags once surmounted the sturdy pillars either side of the drive leading to Brahan Castle, c.1903. (See "Manderley", Strathpeffer.)
Ornamental Stags
Ornamental Stags
A fine pair of ornamental stags once surmounted the sturdy pillars either side of the drive leading to Brahan Castle, c.1903. (See "Manderley", Strathpeffer.)
Main hall
Main hall
The Golden Bed
The Golden Bed
Sittingroom/Study
Sittingroom/Study
Main hall
Main hall
Music room
Music room
Music room
Music room
Main hall
Main hall
Billiards room
Billiards room
Main hall
Main hall
Mackenzie tartan
Mackenzie tartan
Plaque beside the golden bed.
Plaque beside the golden bed.
Plaque beside the bed. The caption reads as follows: "History of the Golden Bed of Brahan. "Colonel Daniel Mackenzie was for some time in the service of Colin Earl of Seaforth and afterwards, going abroad, served in the wars for several years in Moscow and Flanders. "There, having by his merit and valour run through the inferior degrees of honour, he at length attained that of a Colonel of a Regiment of Foot and married the daughter of Dean Wolfard, Count de Vredrad, Governor of Buldorbe in Flanders, a descendant of the noble and illustrious House of Nassau."
The site of Brahan Castle viewed from the old stable buildings.
The site of Brahan Castle viewed from the old stable buildings.
(Photo taken on an 'Open Day' 2000.)

Please submit your comment

Do you have any more information about any of the content on this page.

Your comments are always welcome: