Maryburgh Folk

Attribution: S. Fraser (Maryburgh Primary School March 2015)

Angus Mackenzie

This picture was taken at the time of the Paris Olympics 1924 and the laying of a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Warrior. The piper standing closest to the then Prince of Wales (later Edward VIII and even later the Duke of Windsor) is Angus Mackenzie of Maryburgh.
The British Olympic team in the background is the team that many years later inspired the famous film Chariots of Fire.

Angus Mackenzie of Maryburgh, piper

Attribution: [Photograph courtesy of Bill and Joan Mackenzie]

Mrs Margaret Mackay

Margaret Mackay was born on 3 October 1914 and brought up in Lochinver where she had her primary education prior to attending Golspie High School. When the Second World War broke out, Margaret joined the WRNS, being stationed at first at Evanton. Later, as an officer, she served at Admiralty Headquarters and also at Machrihanish.

Following war service, Margaret married William Mackay, who was a railway employee and finally station master at Conon Bridge until the station closed in 1960. Then Margaret and William lived in Invergordon for a time but moved to Maryburgh where Margaret took an active part in village life, being a regular attender at Maryburgh Free Church. She lived an independent life into her 90s, including daily visits to the local shop and helping with the annual checking of Blythswood shoeboxes in the Free Church hall. Unfortunately, in January 2014 she suffered a fall, had a spell in hospital and then moved to residential care in Wyvis House.

Good genes are obviously in Margaret’s family because her grandfather, a crofter near Lochinver, lived to 103 years!

Mrs Margaret Mackay on 3 October 2014, celebrating her 100th birthday

Mrs Margaret Mackay on 3 October 2014, celebrating her 100th birthday with family and friends in Wyvis House, Dingwall, and showing her congratulatory card from HM The Queen.
Attribution: unknown

Mary Gordon Ross (later Menzies)

FIRST MEMBER OF THE A.T.S. TO ENTER GERMANY

The first member of the A.T.S. to enter Germany, was Junior Commander Mary Gordon Ross, of Culbokie, Ross-shire, who, since February, has been Catering Adviser to a British General Hospital of the Rhone.

She arrived at the hospital only 24 hours after it opened with 300 beds, she heard guns not many miles away. Within the first week 1,400 new patients were admitted, but this Scots girl, who was trained at a London catering establishment before the war, was not flustered, and both wounded men and staff got all the food they needed.

Junior Commander Ross started her A.T.S. career as a cook, and worked her way through the ranks to sergeant major before being commissioned. She later ran an A.T.S. cookery school in the West of England and was also messing for a time to a unit of the Seaforth Highlanders. She still wears her skirt of Seaforth Tartan with her uniform when off duty.

Now that the war in Europe is over, she continues to cater for anything from 500 to 1,500 people of all nationalities, including allied wounded, German prisoners of war and hundreds of “displaced persons” as well as the hospital staff.

She wants to stay on in the A.T.S., but her chief ambition is to do the same sort of job for a military hospital in the Far East.

Please visit the photo album below to see more photographs of Mary and the official documents showing her commendation.

Mary Gordon Ross (later Menzies)

Mary Gordon Ross (later Menzies) 248962 J/Cmdr ATS Catering Pool, Army School Cookery, Aldershot. Left 28 September 1945. BEM. Mentioned in Dispatches.
Attribution: unknown

View further photographs of Maryburgh Folk

Click on photo album to view thumbnails and then click thumbnail to see the full size images 
Maryburgh » Maryburgh History » Maryburgh Prisoner Of War Camp
All but three huts have been pulled down.
All but three huts have been pulled down.
THE CAMP AS IT WAS IN 1998
The site was used as a storage area for farm machinery
The site was used as a storage area for farm machinery
THE CAMP AS IT WAS IN 1998
All but three huts have been pulled down.
All but three huts have been pulled down.
THE CAMP AS IT WAS IN 1998
All but three huts have been pulled down.
All but three huts have been pulled down.
THE CAMP AS IT WAS IN 1998
The Camp as it was in 1998
The Camp as it was in 1998
The camp as it was in 1998
The camp as it was in 1998
THE CAMP AS IT WAS IN 2000
THE CAMP AS IT WAS IN 2000
THE CAMP AS IT WAS IN 2000 Early in the year 2000 the trees surrounding the camp were taken down. This actually gives a much better impression of what the camp was like during the war. This has also cleared the area where the football pitch was located and can be seen quite clearly. Two other concrete foundations are also visible including the spot where the "glasshouse" was possibly situated. The close proximity of the factor's house to the camp is also very visible (first photo).
THE CAMP AS IT WAS IN 2000
THE CAMP AS IT WAS IN 2000
THE CAMP AS IT WAS IN 2000 Early in the year 2000 the trees surrounding the camp were taken down. This actually gives a much better impression of what the camp was like during the war. This has also cleared the area where the football pitch was located and can be seen quite clearly. Two other concrete foundations are also visible including the spot where the "glasshouse" was possibly situated. The close proximity of the factor's house to the camp is also very visible (first photo).
THE CAMP AS IT WAS IN 2000
THE CAMP AS IT WAS IN 2000
THE CAMP AS IT WAS IN 2000 Early in the year 2000 the trees surrounding the camp were taken down. This actually gives a much better impression of what the camp was like during the war. This has also cleared the area where the football pitch was located and can be seen quite clearly. Two other concrete foundations are also visible including the spot where the "glasshouse" was possibly situated. The close proximity of the factor's house to the camp is also very visible (first photo).
The official line dried up before it got started so I decided to go with the local history available.
The official line dried up before it got started so I decided to go with the local history available.
Celebration of 1953 Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II
Celebration of 1953 Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II
Estate workers children were given commemorative tins to mark the Queen's Coronation in 1953. This photo shows the presentation taking place at the former camp. The huts can be seen quite clearly in the background.
Original entrance roadway
Original entrance roadway
Original entrance roadway. There were two entrances. One was quite grand with a proper sentry gate and three enormous stone emblems. There were also flags flying alongside.
Hut foundations are clearly visible.
Hut foundations are clearly visible.
THE CAMP AS IT WAS IN 1998
Macrae's Garage, Dingwall
Macrae's Garage, Dingwall
The garage has been ideitified as Macrae's Garage at the corner of Hill Street and High Street. The site became a building used as the local (motor) taxation office and then Dingwall Post Office before this office moved to the west end of High Street in 2013. The man second from left was Finlay Forbes from Muir of Ord and the woman was Anne Macdonald (Gordon) from Strathpeffer.
One of the remaining huts with stove.
One of the remaining huts with stove.
THE CAMP AS IT WAS IN 1998
In 1998 the one remaining hut was still being used by the local Venture Scout Group.
In 1998 the one remaining hut was still being used by the local Venture Scout Group.
THE CAMP AS IT WAS IN 1998
Prisoner of War Camp, Brahan
Prisoner of War Camp, Brahan
Map showing location of the camp
Map showing location of the camp
The site of the former camp is to be found along the Maryburgh to Ullapool road approximately two miles from the village of Maryburgh and on the left hand side. It lies between the house named Tallysow and the North Lodge. It is part of the large, historically important estate of Brahan which is owned by Mr A M H Matheson.
Artist: Unknown POW, Brahan. (The painting was salvaged fom the wall of a camp building.)
Artist: Unknown POW, Brahan. (The painting was salvaged fom the wall of a camp building.)
Dingwall Thistle Football Club
Dingwall Thistle Football Club
Dingwall Thistle Football Club Back row, l-r: Johnnny Macdonald, Ackie Macpherson, Sonny Sutherland, Angus Goodall, Willie Shearer, David Hamilton, Duncan Ross, Polson Morrison, Willie Wilson. Front row, l-r: Hugh Urquhart, Jimmy Shand, ? Seigall, Davie Lawson, James Macdonald
Plan of POW Camp
Plan of POW Camp
Photocopy of a postcard sent home to Germany in 1947 by a POW at Brahan
Photocopy of a postcard sent home to Germany in 1947 by a POW at Brahan
P.O.W. Herbert / Peter Wilson / James Wilson (estate factor ) / Jimmy Wilson / P.O.W. Peter
P.O.W. Herbert / Peter Wilson / James Wilson (estate factor ) / Jimmy Wilson / P.O.W. Peter
Prisoner of War - now living locally
Prisoner of War - now living locally
Prisoners of War
Prisoners of War
Letter from daughter of a German POW
Letter from daughter of a German POW
The letter and photo below came from the daughter of a German POW who worked as the ration wagon driver at Brahan.
The ablutions.
The ablutions.
THE CAMP AS IT WAS IN 1998
The ablutions.
The ablutions.
THE CAMP AS IT WAS IN 1998
The remaining ablutions hut.
The remaining ablutions hut.
THE CAMP AS IT WAS IN 1998
The stone Ukranian Emblem dated 1949
The stone Ukranian Emblem dated 1949
This stone was to be seen at the site for a number of years. Another emblem was removed at some point and acquired by the lady owner of Malton Ville in Conon Bridge. When she moved to Grantown the stone emblem went too. It is not known whether that stone was returned to Brahan.
The stone Ukranian Emblem dated 1949
The stone Ukranian Emblem dated 1949
This stone was to be seen at the site for a number of years. Another emblem was removed at some point and acquired by the lady owner of Malton Ville in Conon Bridge. When she moved to Grantown the stone emblem went too. It is not known whether that stone was returned to Brahan.
The remains of the water tower.
The remains of the water tower.
THE CAMP AS IT WAS IN 1998
Beaufort Castle
Beaufort Castle
Although thjis is Beaufort castle, Beauly, Heinz Mainus was transferred from the POW camp at Brahan
Heinrich Mainus
Heinrich Mainus
Heinrich Mainus or Heinz, was transferred from Brahan POW camp to Kiltarlity whetre he remained after the war.
POW Brahan/Beauly ID card
POW Brahan/Beauly ID card
This is the ID card of Heinrich Mainus who was transferred from the Brahan camp to the cam at Kiltarlity
POW Brahan postcard
POW Brahan postcard

Please submit your comment

Do you have any more information about any of the content on this page.

Your comments are always welcome: