Bridges Connecting Maryburgh And Conon

Attribution: S. Fraser (Maryburgh Primary School March 2015)

A River with many bridges

Over the years there have been several bridges crossing between Maryburgh and Conon Bridge.  These have ranged from a bridge by Thomas Telford to a metal bridge containing utility pipes.

Remnants of old with new in the background.

Attribution: unknown

History of the Railway Bridge

RCHS is grateful to the Editor of the Ross-shire Journal for permission to reproduce the article which appeared in the edition of 8 June 2012 to mark the 150th anniversary of the opening of that section of the Highland Railway.

In January 1859 Alexander Matheson convened a meeting of interested parties to discuss the building of a railway from Inverness to Dingwall. Matheson was a director of Jardine Matheson which traded between India and China.

He and his uncle James, one of the founders, both made fortunes and were able to purchase Highland estates. Alexander owned Ardross, near Alness.

After Queen Victoria and Prince Albert purchased Balmoral, the Scottish Highlands became a popular tourist destination. The landed gentry liked to travel each summer for their Scottish estates along with their retinue, so good communications were essential for them as well as for the local population who were able to benefit from the employment provided.

The indigenous landowners were also keen on the railway as they realised this was an opportunity for them to develop the resources of their estates for export such as wood, fish, grain and whisky.

The Dingwall Town Council was very enthusiastic about a railway. Its citizens had either to walk or ride on horseback to Inverness or rely on the stagecoach. From there, they were able to get a train to Aberdeen and travel further south if they wished.

The directors asked Joseph Mitchell, the engineer for the railway eastwards along the coast to Keith, to carry out a survey. He and his assistants, William and Murdoch Paterson

The plaque on the Maryburgh side of the rail bridge commemorates the opening of the Inverness and Ross-shire Railway on 11 June 1862

The plaque on the Maryburgh side of the rail bridge commemorates the opening of the Inverness and Ross-shire Railway on 11 June 1862. It lists the directors of the company, the civil engineer and the contractor. 

Attribution: [Photo courtesy of Douglas Chisholm.]

View more photographs of the Bridges over the River conon

Click on photo album to view thumbnails and then click thumbnail to see the full size images 
Maryburgh » Maryburgh History » Maryburgh Seaforth Sanitorium » Maryburgh Seaforth Sanitorium
   
Seaforth Home Adult Training Centre 1974
Plaque recording building use as an auxiliary hospital
Memorial stone (surmounted by Mackenzie crest)
Seaforth Home Adult Training Centre 1974
Seaforth Home Adult Training Centre 1974
Laying Foundation Stone 27th November 1908
On duty.
Maryburgh in the background.
Heather and another nurse
Relaxing
Private George Rennie, The Royal Scots
Private W Marshall, 2nd Gordon Highlanders
Dominique Nythenhove, 6th regiment de Ligne
Private E Smith, 2nd Battalion Warwicks and Private A Cameron, 1st Seaforth Highlanders
Andre Flamand, 11th Infantry
Charles Van de Kirkhoven, 3rd (fighter on foot) Infantry
Joseph De Gombert, 5th Infantry,
Seaforth Centre before the A835 was built
Seaforth Children's Home 1957-1965
Seaforth Children's Home 1957-1965
Seaforth Children's Home 1957-1965
Seaforth Children's Home 1957-1965
Nurse Shirley Maureen Booth on left with her friend and fellow nurse, Mary Ledingham, from Invergordon. They each dressed up to entertain the children.
Opening ceremony.
Attractive art deco entrance.
"Laying foundation stone Seaforth Sanatorium 27 November 1906."
Seaforth Home Adult Training Centre 1974
m26_ht_oh_sc_log.gif
Seaforth Centre aka Seaforth Sanatorium
Opening of Seaforth Sanatorium
Seaforth Home Adult Training Centre 1974
Plaque recording building use as an auxiliary hospital
Memorial stone (surmounted by Mackenzie crest)
Seaforth Home Adult Training Centre 1974
Seaforth Home Adult Training Centre 1974
Laying Foundation Stone 27th November 1908
On duty.
Maryburgh in the background.
Heather and another nurse
Relaxing
Private George Rennie, The Royal Scots
Private W Marshall, 2nd Gordon Highlanders
 

Please submit your comment

Do you have any more information about any of the content on this page.

Your comments are always welcome: