Bridges Connecting Maryburgh And Conon

Attribution: S. Fraser (Maryburgh Primary School March 2015)

A River with many bridges

Over the years there have been several bridges crossing between Maryburgh and Conon Bridge.  These have ranged from a bridge by Thomas Telford to a metal bridge containing utility pipes.

Remnants of old with new in the background.

Attribution: unknown

History of the Railway Bridge

RCHS is grateful to the Editor of the Ross-shire Journal for permission to reproduce the article which appeared in the edition of 8 June 2012 to mark the 150th anniversary of the opening of that section of the Highland Railway.

In January 1859 Alexander Matheson convened a meeting of interested parties to discuss the building of a railway from Inverness to Dingwall. Matheson was a director of Jardine Matheson which traded between India and China.

He and his uncle James, one of the founders, both made fortunes and were able to purchase Highland estates. Alexander owned Ardross, near Alness.

After Queen Victoria and Prince Albert purchased Balmoral, the Scottish Highlands became a popular tourist destination. The landed gentry liked to travel each summer for their Scottish estates along with their retinue, so good communications were essential for them as well as for the local population who were able to benefit from the employment provided.

The indigenous landowners were also keen on the railway as they realised this was an opportunity for them to develop the resources of their estates for export such as wood, fish, grain and whisky.

The Dingwall Town Council was very enthusiastic about a railway. Its citizens had either to walk or ride on horseback to Inverness or rely on the stagecoach. From there, they were able to get a train to Aberdeen and travel further south if they wished.

The directors asked Joseph Mitchell, the engineer for the railway eastwards along the coast to Keith, to carry out a survey. He and his assistants, William and Murdoch Paterson

The plaque on the Maryburgh side of the rail bridge commemorates the opening of the Inverness and Ross-shire Railway on 11 June 1862

The plaque on the Maryburgh side of the rail bridge commemorates the opening of the Inverness and Ross-shire Railway on 11 June 1862. It lists the directors of the company, the civil engineer and the contractor. 

Attribution: [Photo courtesy of Douglas Chisholm.]

View more photographs of the Bridges over the River conon

Click on photo album to view thumbnails and then click thumbnail to see the full size images 
Maryburgh » Maryburgh Places » Maryburgh Residential » Maryburgh Residential
   
The west end of Wrightfield Park after crossing the Conon bridge.
Farm steading on Hood Street (adjacent to Peartree Cottage)
Albert Place
Next to Glencanisp is Hermanville, outside which stood the village pump where residents would gather to fill buckets and have a "bleather".
Glencanisp
SeaforthPl02.jpg
Grant Crescent.
Aerial photograph of Maryburgh taken on 16 August 1963
Map of Maryburgh in 1972
Laburnum
Seaforth Place
The wooden clad Swedish style houses.
Drewellis (at one time the village inn)
Peartree Cottage (1824) the oldest house in the village.
Sunnyholm (1828)
The Tollhouse.
Birch Drive
Birch Drive
Grant Crescent.
Hood Street looking up the hill from Proby Street.
The entrance to Mackenzie Place.
Some of the 30-plus houses in Mackenzie Place
Ussie Mills
Proby Place is a small row of houses leading off from Proby Street.
Proby Street looking east from entrance to Seaforth Place.
Proby Street looking west from Albert Place.
Rosshill Drive.
Winter view from Dunglass Road.
Some of the Wrightfield Park houses showing the landscaped bank between the houses and the main road.
The west end of Wrightfield Park after crossing the Conon bridge.
Farm steading on Hood Street (adjacent to Peartree Cottage)
Albert Place
Next to Glencanisp is Hermanville, outside which stood the village pump where residents would gather to fill buckets and have a "bleather".
Glencanisp
SeaforthPl02.jpg
Grant Crescent.
Aerial photograph of Maryburgh taken on 16 August 1963
Map of Maryburgh in 1972
Laburnum
Seaforth Place
The wooden clad Swedish style houses.
 

Please submit your comment

Do you have any more information about any of the content on this page.

Your comments are always welcome: