Bridges Connecting Maryburgh And Conon

Attribution: S. Fraser (Maryburgh Primary School March 2015)

A River with many bridges

Over the years there have been several bridges crossing between Maryburgh and Conon Bridge.  These have ranged from a bridge by Thomas Telford to a metal bridge containing utility pipes.

Remnants of old with new in the background.

Attribution: unknown

History of the Railway Bridge

RCHS is grateful to the Editor of the Ross-shire Journal for permission to reproduce the article which appeared in the edition of 8 June 2012 to mark the 150th anniversary of the opening of that section of the Highland Railway.

In January 1859 Alexander Matheson convened a meeting of interested parties to discuss the building of a railway from Inverness to Dingwall. Matheson was a director of Jardine Matheson which traded between India and China.

He and his uncle James, one of the founders, both made fortunes and were able to purchase Highland estates. Alexander owned Ardross, near Alness.

After Queen Victoria and Prince Albert purchased Balmoral, the Scottish Highlands became a popular tourist destination. The landed gentry liked to travel each summer for their Scottish estates along with their retinue, so good communications were essential for them as well as for the local population who were able to benefit from the employment provided.

The indigenous landowners were also keen on the railway as they realised this was an opportunity for them to develop the resources of their estates for export such as wood, fish, grain and whisky.

The Dingwall Town Council was very enthusiastic about a railway. Its citizens had either to walk or ride on horseback to Inverness or rely on the stagecoach. From there, they were able to get a train to Aberdeen and travel further south if they wished.

The directors asked Joseph Mitchell, the engineer for the railway eastwards along the coast to Keith, to carry out a survey. He and his assistants, William and Murdoch Paterson

The plaque on the Maryburgh side of the rail bridge commemorates the opening of the Inverness and Ross-shire Railway on 11 June 1862

The plaque on the Maryburgh side of the rail bridge commemorates the opening of the Inverness and Ross-shire Railway on 11 June 1862. It lists the directors of the company, the civil engineer and the contractor. 

Attribution: [Photo courtesy of Douglas Chisholm.]

View more photographs of the Bridges over the River conon

Click on photo album to view thumbnails and then click thumbnail to see the full size images 
Maryburgh » Maryburgh History » Maryburgh A History of Maryburgh Free Church
01 Maryburgh Free Church
01 Maryburgh Free Church
01 The Hon Mrs Mary Elizabeth Frederica MacKenzie 1783 - 1862
01 The Hon Mrs Mary Elizabeth Frederica MacKenzie 1783 - 1862
01a Cover of Book
01a Cover of Book
03 Original Design
03 Original Design
04 The photograph of the Free Church Communion Service at Maryburgh, August 1887
04 The photograph of the Free Church Communion Service at Maryburgh, August 1887
05 Rev George Macleod
05 Rev George Macleod
06 Mr Alexander Mackenzie from Dornie
06 Mr Alexander Mackenzie from Dornie
07 Looking to Ferintosh from the F.C. manse, Maryburgh
07 Looking to Ferintosh from the F.C. manse, Maryburgh
08 Hood Street - Pre 1900
08 Hood Street - Pre 1900
09 Rev Roderick Mackenzie
09 Rev Roderick Mackenzie
10 Leaving the Manse - 1907
10 Leaving the Manse - 1907
11 Proby Street - circa 1910
11 Proby Street - circa 1910
12 Maryburgh Free Church Sunday School Picnic at Kyle of Lochalsh, 1906
12 Maryburgh Free Church Sunday School Picnic at Kyle of Lochalsh, 1906
13 Maryburgh Free Church Sunday School Picnic at Lochrosque, Achnasheen, 1908
13 Maryburgh Free Church Sunday School Picnic at Lochrosque, Achnasheen, 1908
14 Maryburgh Free Church Sunday School Picnic at Nairn, 1910
14 Maryburgh Free Church Sunday School Picnic at Nairn, 1910
15 Rev George Muirden
15 Rev George Muirden
16 Rev John R. Muirden
16 Rev John R. Muirden
17 Rev Duncan MacLachlan
17 Rev Duncan MacLachlan
18 Rev Donald S Mackenzie
18 Rev Donald S Mackenzie
19 Rev Douglas MacKeddie
19 Rev Douglas MacKeddie
20 Children from Maryburgh Primary School who attended the service of celebration to mark the 150th anniversary of the Free Church in the village.
20 Children from Maryburgh Primary School who attended the service of celebration to mark the 150th anniversary of the Free Church in the village.
21 Maryburgh Free Church
21 Maryburgh Free Church

Please submit your comment

Do you have any more information about any of the content on this page.

Your comments are always welcome: