Attribution: unknown (The ruin of Free Church in Jamestown)
Fodderty and Strathpeffer Church of Scotland
This church was designed and built towards the end of the last century by William C Joass in the Victorian Gothic Revival style, as part of the development of Strathpeffer as Britain’s most northerly spa town.
The church has a seating capacity of 500 and is a “B” listed building by Historic Scotland. There are twin towers at the entrance to the church which house the spiral staircases leading to the balcony. Inside there are two side aisles and the pews which run between them are of one length of pitch pine. The chancel extends from the nave under a lower roof.
Strathpeffer Free Church
Strathpeffer Free Church was built in 1886. It is a very substantial stone building, with a steeple and a bell which can be heard for some distance..
It has beautiful stained glass windows; the pulpit and seats are pitch pine. Downstairs it seats 300 with more upstairs. There is a hall attached at the back where a prayer meeting is held weekly.
Since 1900 there have been nine ministers; meantime the charge is vacant.
The church’s main object is to preach the gospel and visit the sick.
[Note: Early in 2015 the building was advertised for sale by the Free Church of Scotland since the congregation had diminished.]
St Anne's Episcopal Church
St Anne’s is a delightful little church built in 1892 in memory of Anne, Duchess of Sutherland and Countess of Cromartie. The estimated cost was £2600 and the money was raised by the congregation holding bazaars and concerts etc. The stone was quarried on Cromartie Estates and given free. The nave was completed in 1893 and the chancel in 1899. The beautiful altar made of Italian marble and the stained glass windows were gifted by friends and visitors.
The former Free Church in Jamestown, Strathpeffer.
The former Free Church in Jamestown, Strathpeffer. Following the Disruption of 1843 the people of Jamestown were gifted land by Mrs Stewart-Mackenzie of Seaforth and built a church in 1861-62 along with adjacent manse and glebe buildings. The building behind the church was reputed to be a school. The last service held in the church was in 1954 and the building fell into disrepair. [Photograph Douglas Gordon]
See also Remembering the Strathpeffer Area: Jamestown by ARCH (Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands).