Attribution: unknown (The ruin of Free Church in Jamestown)
In November 2002 the Fodderty SWRI celebrated its 73rd Anniversary. In 2002 it had approximately 20 members ranging in age from 35(ish) – 90+. They had meetings at 7.30 pm on the third Thursday of each month in Strathpeffer Community Centre.
Below is the 2002/2003 session programme of open meetings:
19th September – Local Artist Esther Armstrong
17th October – Metal Detecting with Sandy Snell
21st November – Munro’s Nurseries with Colin Munro
16th January – Visit to India and Bangladesh with Dr. Kitty Campbell
20th February – The work of the RSPB with Kenna Chisholm
20th March – Cookery Demonstration with Maureen Ringrose.
Our evening starts with a short business meeting followed by our speaker for the evening and finishing off with a light supper.
Due to restricted numbers for catering/transport, members-only meetings take place on –
19th December – Christmas Dinner
17th April – Spring Outing
25th May – AGM
Strathpeffer Amateur Operatic Society 1959-1982
The Chairman of the Strathpeffer Amateur Operatic Society, John M.M. Fleck, in his Foreword to the programme of ‘The Yeoman of the Guard’ (1971) wrote –
The Strathpeffer Amateur Operatic Society began in 1958, and ever since has been delighting audiences with its performances of Gilbert and Sullivan Operas. Its reputation has been achieved by much hard work and co-operation, but three people stand out as those most responsible for its high standards.
Strathpeffer and District Pipe Band
The Pipe Band was formed in 1980 primarily to entertain visitors in the village square at Strathpeffer. The Pipe Band perform every Saturday night in the square from May to September; while the band have a break during the performance tourists are entertained with a display of Highland Dancing. The band wears the tartan Mackenzie of Seaforth, while the logo on their ties is of Castle Leod; permission for this was given by the late Earl of Cromartie.
At the time this photograph was taken the band played under the leadership of Drum Major Duncan Sutherland and Pipe Major James Mackenzie. Several band members have been with the band since it was formed. Members of the Pipe Band give their time and energies voluntarily. They practise every week during the winter and continue to perfect their music during the summer. As well as playing every week in the Square, they often perform at local Highland Games and Gala days.
Royal British Legion
The Strathpeffer Branch of the Royal British Legion was founded in the 1930s. By 1946 there were 81 members. The Chairman at that time was W. H. Fraser and the Honorary Treasurer was A. Barnie, the local Chemist. A year later in 1947 the Chairman was Mr. Munro and the Secretary of the Branch W. J. L. Mackenzie. In 1949 Major E. W. Whitelaw became the Honorary President , the Chairman being W. Smith of Contin and the Secretary was T. S. Henderson. The Vice-Chairman during this period was Mr. A. Macleod, who later took over the post of Chairman.
In 1951 Major General H. Macdonald, C.B., presented the King’s Colour and Branch Standard in the Parish Church at the dedication of the standards from ten different branches. The Branch Chairman was Lt. Col. O. E. B. Macleod.
During the 1960s Mr. Fred Hoare and Mr. W. Watts alternated as Chairman. After Fred Hoare’s death in the 1980s, Bill Watts continued as Chairman, supported first of all by Iain Nicolson as Treasurer-Secretary and then by Walter Chaloner. Lt. Col. Murdo Macdonald succeeded Bill Watts. The present Chairman is Mr. Hamish Galbraith and the Treasurer-Secretary is Peter Rathbone.
The late Rory, Earl of Cromartie acted as Honorary President for many years. He has now been succeeded by Captain R.W. K. Stirling.
The Victory Hall acted as the Branch’s Headquarters for many years but recently meetings have been held in the Strathpeffer Hotel.
The membership for the year 1999-2000 is around thirty. Part of the duties of the Branch is the attendance with the Standards at Remembrance Day Service and also raising around £1000 annually for the Earl Haig Fund. The Branch’s Annual Dinner is held in the Strathpeffer Hotel as part of the Fund Raising Events.
Armistice Day 1999
Every year the local members of the Royal British Legion attend a church service; the colours are presented and the two-minute silence observed at 11am. After the service the colour party and members of the public go to the War Memorial at Fodderty Cemetery where poppy wreaths are laid; a piper from the local pipe band is present and plays a lament.
This year 2000, we have been taking photographs of what is happening in our school. We also have pictures of interesting places we visited. We stored this information in a computer. Now we have put our pictures and reports on this Web Site for anyone to read. We would like to hear from other schools in the world.