The Main Post Office, Gairloch
Here the mail for the parish of Gairloch is sorted and distributed. Irene Lamb, the present postmistress, also runs the adjacent art gallery, with her artist husband, Les.
Pictured, are Irene Lamb, postmistress and the postal deliverers, Roddie MacKenzie (Port Henderson), Jamie Johnson (South Erradale) and Alison Campbell (Opinan).
Post Office, Badachro
Mr. Dingwall, jr., who was the local postman, used this corrugated iron building, next to the road. It had previously been the tailor’s shop. The building, at the head of the bay, was the Post Office much used by fishermen from visiting boats to send telegrams regarding their catches. Earlier it had been the smiddy.
Old Post Office and Steading, Opinan
The post office was attached to the end of the house. The last postmistress was Mrs Isobel Macpherson who took over from her father Mr Hector MacKenzie. She retired c.1949. Mr. Hector MacKenzie ran a co-operative from the house and supplied oatmeal, flour, clothing and flannel to make clothes. (Maggie MacKenzie, Sunnyside, Gairloch.)