A BRIEF HISTORY
From Bronze Age hut circles and virtified fort remains (Sands river and Gairloch beach) to present day, the area has had a colourful history influenced mainly by the area’s easy access by sea and inaccessibility from the land! History is evident all around the area with such examples as the Destitution roads, still used although mainly upgraded, deserted “runrig” settlements, ruined croft houses and Flowerdale House, seat of the Clan Mackenzie. Early this century Gairloch saw mass emigration to the Colonies and the population plummeted until the last few decades when burgeoning tourism brought new income to the area. The custodian of Gairloch’s local history is the award-winning Gairloch Heritage Museum which depicts the full story of the area. Click below to visit Gairloch Museum website
The museum takes a journey through time showing how local people lived and worked in Gairloch through the ages. The website contains pages of the exhibits, archive & library, events and exhibitions as well as plans for the new museum.
On the 25 May 1790, Sir John Sinclair, Baronet of Ulbster in Caithness wrote to over nine hundred Parish ministers throughout Scotland asking them to contribute to a Statistical Inquiry by answering as best they could,a series of one hundred and sixty-six Queries respecting each Parish.
The New (or Second) Statistical Account of Scotland built on the previous work carried out by Sir John Sinclair for the First Statistical Accounts by including the knowledge of local doctors and schoolmasters. The Second Statistical Accounts were published between 1834 and 1845.