Kilmuir and Logie Easter Churches

Attribution: Photo courtesy of Tain Museum Trust (Balnagown castle)

Kilmuir Easter Free Church

The oldest record about the parish of Kilmuir Easter states that in 1296 Roger de Foderingeye was “vicar of the Church of Kilmor”, but it is only from the Reformation of 1560 that there is a continuous record of the names of the ministers there.

The church which was built in 1621 was “T”-shaped and had three galleries, if not at first, then certainly by 1771, the date of the oldest surviving Kirk Session minute, which also tells us that the galleries were named after local landowners, Cromartie, Balnagown, Kindeace, Priesthill, and Sir John Gordon. In the cemetery there are graves from this period before the building of the present church in 1798.

In 1843 at the Disruption the Rev. Charles Matheson led most of the congregation out of the Church of Scotland to join the newly formed Free Church, building a new church (demolished in the 1980s) at Lower Tulloch. The remaining Church of Scotland congregation had an uphill struggle in the following decades, but by 1900 was in a position to refurbish the interior of the 1798 building, when the pulpit was removed from the south wall and a new one put in the north east corner, the seating and other church furniture all totally renewed, and the three galleries reduced to one as the population of the parish (quite apart from the Disruption) had more than halved during the 19th century.

Kilmuir Easter Free Church

Attribution: [photograph courtesy of Tain Museum Trust]

Kilmuir and Logie Easter Church of Scotland

A church at Kilmuir Easter can be traced back to 1296. The present church was built in 1798 on the site of at least two previous churches. This church had seating for 900 from 350 families in the parish and had three galleries. In 1904, the church was extensively refurbished and only one gallery now remains. The gallery contains box pews which were once occupied by the MacKenzie family of New Tarbat House and other local landowners.

Attached to the east end is part of one of these earlier churches, together with a round tower with the words “Beigit 1616”. The smaller building between the tower and the church is part of an earlier church and is the burial vault of Mackenzies, Earls of Cromartie.

Further information is available in the Kilmuir and Logie Easter Church of Scotland and the History of Kilmuir Easter Church sites.

 

Kilmuir and Logie Easter Parish Church

Attribution: [photograph courtesy of Tain Museum Trust]

Bi-centenary of the present church in 1998

Read more about the Bi-Centenary Celebrations

Part of Centenary Celebrations: a Flower Festival

Attribution: unknown

View more photographs of the Churches and Centenary celebrations.

Click on photo album to view thumbnails and then click thumbnail to see the full size images 
Kilmuir » Kilmuir Places
Balnagown Bridge
Balnagown Bridge
Balnagown Bridge Built mid seventeen century. General Roy's maps of 1750 show three main roads in the region between Dingwall and Tain, these stone bridges indicate a regular well used route along north shore of Cromarty firth, but until the parliamentary act of 1669 creating the statute Labour system there was no method of maintaining such roads. 1999 sees Balnagown road bridge completely renewed to modern structional standards. [Photo courtesy of Tain Museum Trust]
Balnagown Castle
Balnagown Castle
[Photo courtesy of Tain Museum Trust]
Dalrannich House
Dalrannich House
Eagle's Cage
Eagle's Cage
The cage constructed for the once famous Balnagown eagles stands now in a field to the west of the castle. One game-keeper had to supply three pairs of rabbits each week to the eagles, else they were fed mutton. [Photo courtesy of Tain Museum Trust]
North (or East) Lodge, Kildary
North (or East) Lodge, Kildary
[Photo courtesy of Tain Museum Trust]
King James IV bridge
King James IV bridge
King James IV bridge Within site of Balnagown castle is the graceful hump back bridge fording the river of that name. Restored by Baron David Ross early 17th century, once it carried the main road to Tain and got its name from the regular pilgrimages across it by King James IV on his way to the shrine of St Duthas at Tain. [Photo courtesy of Tain Museum Trust]
Kings' Causeway
Kings' Causeway
Kings' Causeway The route or bridal path taken by royal visitors King James IV and V when on pilgrimages to the shrine of St Duthac chapel in Tain. This part of the causeway was built with stones over a peat bog as the royal pilgrims were approaching in bare feet. Vestiges of the original route still exist. [Photo courtesy of Tain Museum Trust]
Marybank Lodge
Marybank Lodge
Marybank Lodge This 18th century building, situated on an open position at the edge of the steep slope to the river and fish farm buildings below. Swiss Cottage and the castle are viewed across the river to the south; the driveway entrance is from the Marybank-Lamington road, one mile from Kildary. Modern flats are incorporated into the shooting lodge for inclusive use of the sporting clients of the estate. [Photo courtesy of Tain Museum Trust]

Please submit your comment

Do you have any more information about any of the content on this page.

Your comments are always welcome: