Attribution: Anne Gordon & Barbara Scott (Nigg Old Parish Church)

Churches

Nigg Parish Church

Attribution: unknown

Features

Shandwick Stone

Attribution: unknown

Place Names of Nigg Parish

This extract was taken, with the permission of the Trustees, from Prof. W.J. Watson’s – ‘Place Names of Ross and Cromarty’. The most recent edition of this work was published by HIGHLAND HERITAGE BOOKS Tir nan Oran, 8 Culcairn Road, Evanton IV16 9YT

Place Names of Ross and Cromarty p 50 onwards

Place Names of Ross and Cromarty

Photographs of Places

Welcome to this collection of photographs from Nigg Parish. The originals are held by Mrs Liz Whiteford. The photographs were presented in three albums on the original RCHS website, but as the topics are similar in each album it has been decided to amalgamate them under the headings formerly listed.  The full set of photographs can be viewed in the Nigg Library page of this website, but we have also included the photographs that relate to places on this page.

Click on photo album to view thumbnails and then click thumbnail to see the full size images 
Nigg » Nigg History » Nigg Features

Nigg Features

Welcome to this collection of photographs from Nigg Parish. The originals are held by Mrs Liz Whiteford. The photographs were presented in three albums on the original RCHS website, but as the topics are similar in each album it has been decided to amalgamate them under the headings formerly listed.
the Shandwick Stone.
Click on photo album to view thumbnails and then click thumbnail to see the full size images 
Nigg » Nigg History » Nigg Places 1

Nigg Places 1

Welcome to this collection of photographs from Nigg Parish. The originals are held by Mrs Liz Whiteford. The photographs were presented in three albums on the original RCHS website, but as the topics are similar in each album it has been decided to amalgamate them under the headings formerly listed.
Taken in 1976 at Caanruidh on Wester Rarichie
Click on photo album to view thumbnails and then click thumbnail to see the full size images 
Nigg » Nigg History » Nigg People 2 » Nigg People 2
   
LtoR: Donald Ross (DOY), Donald Ross Snr., John Ross, George John Munro
Sign near old hall which used to be on site of Arabella car park.
Nanette with bicycle in garden at Lower Bayfield, c. late 1930s.
Larchie the dog with George playing with toy gun at Lower Bayfield, c. late 1920s.
Guides outside old Nigg Hall, c. late 1930's.
Culnaha Smithy (during 1914-18 War).
Danny Macleod at Broomhill Cottage when it had a thatched roof c.1926.
Heather Mackenzie (Mrs Thom's daughter) on Nigg beach, c.1963.
Possibly Shandwick beach.
Jessie Macleod (Mrs Thom's grandmother) and her two sisters at Broomhill, c.1926.
Possibly Shandwick beach.
Evening at Nigg pier, c.1926.
?Dorothy Bell? at Bayfield loch, c.1926.
l-r: Mrs Thom's Uncle Donny, Danny Macleod, Big Hughie in ground rented from Pitcalzean Estate at the back of Broomhill known as the 'the park' which was crofted by Danny Macleod. c.1920s.
Heather Mackenzie (Mrs Thom's daughter) on beach in front of Broomhill.
Billy Mackenzie (Mrs Thom's son) on Nigg Road with Patsy the cow and Mrs Thom's father William Ross.
Lyn Thomson (Mrs Thom's niece) and friend at Broomhill.
Billy Mackenzie (Mrs Thom's son)
Below Broomhill, c.1969.
RAF dingy belonging to Billy Ross (Mrs Thom's brother).
Mary Ann Macdonald's house Elder Cottage with Eric Bates (Mrs Thom's nephew) in foreground., c.1951.
Danny Macleod or Danny the boat as he was often called
Jessie Macleod's nieces, Katie and Janet Maclean,
Vida and Danny Macleod outside Broomhill Cottage, c.1920s.
l-r: Jessie Macleod, Mr Bell, Danny Macleod, Mrs Bell at Broomhill Cottage, c.1926
Heather Mackenzie with Balnabruach Village in background
WRI outing taken from outside of Nigg Hotel. c1946
Danny Macleod (grandfather of Mrs Thom), at Broomhill Cottage, c.1928.
Mrs Thom's son Billy and her God-daughter Ann Thomson on the beach below Pitcalzean Wood, c.1963.
Danny Macleod and his wife Jessie at Broomhill Cottage c.1928.
Janet Ross of Broomhill (mother of Mrs Thom) and her daughter-in-law Janet, c.1956.
Florence, Marion, Evelyn, Jean in the garden at Lower Bayfield, c.1930s.
Back row l-r: Marion, Evelyn, Florence, Hannah. Front row l-r: George, Mary, Jean, Granny Macintosh and Mrs Ross to right of photo. Taken at Lower Bayfield, c. late 1920s.
John, James, Donald (nicknamed Doy), George, and Billy (school friend), c. late 1920's.
James and John Ross in garden at Lower Bayfield before going off to collect cows, c. late 1920's.
Florence, Marion Evelyn, Jean, Mary in garden at Lower Bayfield.
Nannette and Evelyn in garden at Lower Bayfield, c. late 1930's.
Donald Ross Snr and Mr Gray (visitor from London), c.1938.
School photo of Ross family taken at Nigg School, c. late 1920s. John, Hannah, Marion, James, Donald (Doy).
l-r: Donald Ross, Donald Ross Snr (carpenter), James Ross, c.1935. Father and brothers of Florence Ross (Pettit).
John Ross with Jenny the pet goat on lead, Nigg Road at Lower Bayfield, c.1935.
LtoR: Donald Ross (DOY), Donald Ross Snr., John Ross, George John Munro
Sign near old hall which used to be on site of Arabella car park.
Nanette with bicycle in garden at Lower Bayfield, c. late 1930s.
Larchie the dog with George playing with toy gun at Lower Bayfield, c. late 1920s.
Guides outside old Nigg Hall, c. late 1930's.
Culnaha Smithy (during 1914-18 War).
Danny Macleod at Broomhill Cottage when it had a thatched roof c.1926.
Heather Mackenzie (Mrs Thom's daughter) on Nigg beach, c.1963.
Possibly Shandwick beach.
Jessie Macleod (Mrs Thom's grandmother) and her two sisters at Broomhill, c.1926.
Possibly Shandwick beach.
Evening at Nigg pier, c.1926.
 
Click on photo album to view thumbnails and then click thumbnail to see the full size images 
Nigg » Nigg History » Nigg Schools

Nigg Schools

Welcome to this collection of photographs from Nigg Parish. The originals are held by Mrs Liz Whiteford. The photographs were presented in three albums on the original RCHS website, but as the topics are similar in each album it has been decided to amalgamate them under the headings formerly listed.
Nigg School outing, early 1970s.

Please submit your comment

Do you have any more information about any of the content on this page.

Your comments are always welcome: