Archaeology

Since 2007, during Highland Archaeology Week, Allan Kilpatrick of The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS) has led groups round the fortifications on the North Sutor and South Sutor entrances to the Cromarty Firth which were created prior to the 1914-1918 War and added to during the 1939-45 conflict.

The North Sutor.

Attribution: unknown

A Changing Parish

Retyped and reprinted May 2000 by Liz Whiteford.

The document is reproduced by kind permission of the author, Anne Gordon, who reserves all rights pertaining to her work.

Anne Gordon died on 29 September 2015 and RCHS wishes to reiterate appreciation of her willingness to share her work, which is a wonderful legacy to leave behind.

Please wait while flipbook is loading. For more related info, FAQs and issues please refer to DearFlip WordPress Flipbook Plugin Help documentation.

Attribution: unknown

School Log Books

Read two articles by Anne Gordon who discovers a picture of day to day life drawn from the school logs of Pitcalnie and Nigg.

Nigg School, now a private residence.

Attribution: unknown

The Parish Of Nigg

Anne Gordon died on 29 September 2015 and RCHS wishes to reiterate appreciation of her willingness to share her work, which is a wonderful legacy to leave behind.

Please wait while flipbook is loading. For more related info, FAQs and issues please refer to DearFlip WordPress Flipbook Plugin Help documentation.

Attribution: unknown

Statistical Accounts

On the 25 May 179, Sir John Sinclair, Baronet of Ulbster in Caithness wrote to over nine hundred Parish ministers throughout Scotland asking them to contribute to a Statistical Inquiry by answering as best they could,a series of one hundred and sixty-six Queries respecting each Parish.

The New (or Second) Statistical Account of Scotland built on the previous work carried out by Sir John Sinclair for the First Statistical Accounts by including the knowledge of local doctors and schoolmasters. The Second Statistical Accounts were published between 1834 and 1845.

Nigg Parish Photographs

Welcome to this collection of photographs from Nigg Parish. The originals are held by Mrs Liz Whiteford. The photographs were presented in three albums on the original RCHS website, but as the topics are similar in each album it has been decided to amalgamate them under the headings formerly listed.

Each album can be viewed in the Library page of this website.