Attribution: Anne Gordon & Barbara Scott (Nigg Old Parish Church)

Churches

Nigg Parish Church

Attribution: unknown

Features

Shandwick Stone

Attribution: unknown

Place Names of Nigg Parish

This extract was taken, with the permission of the Trustees, from Prof. W.J. Watson’s – ‘Place Names of Ross and Cromarty’. The most recent edition of this work was published by HIGHLAND HERITAGE BOOKS Tir nan Oran, 8 Culcairn Road, Evanton IV16 9YT

Place Names of Ross and Cromarty p 50 onwards

Place Names of Ross and Cromarty

Photographs of Places

Welcome to this collection of photographs from Nigg Parish. The originals are held by Mrs Liz Whiteford. The photographs were presented in three albums on the original RCHS website, but as the topics are similar in each album it has been decided to amalgamate them under the headings formerly listed.  The full set of photographs can be viewed in the Nigg Library page of this website, but we have also included the photographs that relate to places on this page.

Click on photo album to view thumbnails and then click thumbnail to see the full size images 
Nigg » Nigg History » Nigg Work » Nigg Work
   
Photos of harvesting at Cullisse (no date).
Photos of harvesting at Cullisse (no date).
Pitcalzean (Westfield), c.1950s.
Reclamation on Wester Rarichie
Reclamation, Wester Rarichie.
SS Sutors, the Cromarty-Invergordon ferry, c.1926.
"Tattie Howkin" in the past with horse power.
01 Pitcalzean Wood and Hi-Fab yard
02 Excavation at the Hi-Feb site.
03 Excavation work
04 Construction work.
05 Construction continues.
06 Construction progresses
07 Construction continutes
08 Construction
09 Construction continutes
10 Construction continues
11 Construction nears the end.
11 Construction nears the end.
12 The Hi-Fab accommodation ship Highland Queen.
13 The Hi-Fab site with oil rig in the dock.
14 Another aerial view with Cromarty in the background.
15 The site completed.
16 Apprentices at Hi-Fab.
Approaching the North Sutor
Big Hughie and two others on the 'Park' at Balnabruaich.
Cattle
Cattle
Cattle grazing.
Cattle grazing.
Cromarty on the left.
Cromarty receding.
Cromarty to the left, Nigg to the right
Cullisse farmworkers.
Girl with stooks, Nigg Mains.
Harvest at Broomton
Hay drying by electricity at Cullisse.
Hi-Fab yard in the background.
Horses ploughing, possibly at Easter Rarichie.
Hunter Gordon, Westfield.
Jack Calder, Culnaha Farm 1938.
Local farmworkers working at turnips.
Local milkmaid at work
Long service awards - Cullisse
Mechanisation has arrived at Cullisse.
Mechanisation has arrived at Cullisse.
Mobile mill workers (Tommy Mann).
No information
One man and his dog at Cullisse.
Photos of harvesting at Cullisse (no date).
Photos of harvesting at Cullisse (no date).
Photos of harvesting at Cullisse (no date).
Pitcalzean (Westfield), c.1950s.
Reclamation on Wester Rarichie
Reclamation, Wester Rarichie.
SS Sutors, the Cromarty-Invergordon ferry, c.1926.
"Tattie Howkin" in the past with horse power.
01 Pitcalzean Wood and Hi-Fab yard
02 Excavation at the Hi-Feb site.
03 Excavation work
04 Construction work.
05 Construction continues.
 
Click on photo album to view thumbnails and then click thumbnail to see the full size images 
Nigg » Nigg History » Nigg Places 1

Nigg Places 1

Welcome to this collection of photographs from Nigg Parish. The originals are held by Mrs Liz Whiteford. The photographs were presented in three albums on the original RCHS website, but as the topics are similar in each album it has been decided to amalgamate them under the headings formerly listed.
Cromarty Ferry (ie Nigg Ferry) taken from the roof of Dunskaith House, at the end of the 19th century.
Click on photo album to view thumbnails and then click thumbnail to see the full size images 
Nigg » Nigg History » Nigg Places 2

Nigg Places 2

Welcome to this collection of photographs from Nigg Parish. The originals are held by Mrs Liz Whiteford. The photographs were presented in three albums on the original RCHS website, but as the topics are similar in each album it has been decided to amalgamate them under the headings formerly listed.
Pitcalnie Holdings, 1951.
Click on photo album to view thumbnails and then click thumbnail to see the full size images 
Nigg » Nigg History » Nigg Schools

Nigg Schools

Welcome to this collection of photographs from Nigg Parish. The originals are held by Mrs Liz Whiteford. The photographs were presented in three albums on the original RCHS website, but as the topics are similar in each album it has been decided to amalgamate them under the headings formerly listed.
Pitcalnie School, c.1950s.

Please submit your comment

Do you have any more information about any of the content on this page.

Your comments are always welcome: