Attribution: unknown or not recorded
Tain was a centre of medieval pilgrimage to the remains of St Duthac (or Duthus), originally to the 13th century ruined chapel on the links on the outskirts. The town is sited at a junction of land routes from south, east and west and from the north by the Meikle Ferry across the Dornoch Firth to link with Sutherland. This was an ancient ferry route which is now crossed by a bridge (opened in 1991) carrying the A9 north.
Tain was created a royal burgh in 1588 and developed round the Collegiate Church, the Tolbooth and the High Street.
Macleod of Geanies, then the principal landowner, planned a residential area from 1827. This included Knockbreck, Geanies and Ankerville streets.