The Edderton Pictish Stone
The Edderton Stone is a Pictish standing stone located in Edderton’s Old Church cementary. Although it is located in the churchyard it is not thought to be a burial place. For more pictures and further details see the page on Burial Grounds of this community.
The following description is taken from the Second Statistical Account of 1840:
“There is another sculptured stone in the church-yard, with a warrior on horseback in the lower compartment, and a large cross engraved above it; on the other side there are a number of curious circles and hieroglyphics, arranged in an indescribable manner.”
On the 25 May 1790, Sir John Sinclair, Baronet of Ulbster in Caithness wrote to over nine hundred Parish ministers throughout Scotland asking them to contribute to a Statistical Inquiry by answering as best they could,a series of one hundred and sixty-six Queries respecting each Parish.
The New (or Second) Statistical Account of Scotland built on the previous work carried out by Sir John Sinclair for the First Statistical Accounts by including the knowledge of local doctors and schoolmasters. The Second Statistical Accounts were published between 1834 and 1845.