Castle Inn

Views of the Castle Inn, now closed, on the B9176.

Castle Inn

Attribution: unknown

Housing

Here we see examples of some of the housing in the area.

Sandstone houses
Cnoc Ruadh

Attribution: unknown

River Averon Bridge

The narrow bridge over the River Averon on the B9176 road over Struie.

The narrow bridge over the River Averon on the B9176 road over Struie.

Attribution: unknown

Ardross Castle

Ardross Castle was built on the site of the old Sutherland hunting lodge. From 1847, nearly 400 men, including masons, were employed in work at the new house or in the grounds.

Ardross Castle

Attribution: unknown

Dublin

Dublin started as a barracks for Irish labourers who were employed by the estate in the 19th century, during improvements to the estate which was owned by Sir Alexander Matheson. Notes from the Inverness Scientific Society and Field Club state:-

“As so many workmen were needed, special barracks were built of turf and wood. With close doors, neat windows, fireplaces and bedboxes, the men were said to be most comfortable. Meal was readily available and a grocery was opened where goods were retailed at Inverness prices. While all this work was underway, there was no such thing as a quarrel, insubordination or even drunkenness, and though there wasn’t one single female at their New Year Ball, the men kept up the merriment ‘on the light fantastic’ till the early hours of the morning. As many of the labourers were Irish, the barracks became known as Dublin, the name by which the settlement is still known.”

Dublin

Attribution: unknown

View more photos of the locations in Ardross

Click on photo album to view thumbnails and then click thumbnail to see the full size images 
Ardross » Ardross Places » Ardross Locations