Attribution: unknown (Perrins Centre)
Girnal near Alness
Campaigners have lost the fight to save an 18th century Easter Ross landmark, which had been earmarked for an exciting new future as an interpretative centre for ornithologists.
The B-listed girnal, or grain store, near Alness, had to be demolished because of safety fears after being lashed during the weekend storms.
Development of Alness
The town is actually a composite of two parishes, Alness and Rosskeen, divided by the River Averon. The original Alness was but a small crofting community opposite the old Kirk and saw its main expansion in the nineteenth century thanks to Captain Hugh Munro of Teaninich, who also founded Teaninich Distillery in 1817.
On the 25 May 1790, Sir John Sinclair, Baronet of Ulbster in Caithness wrote to over nine hundred Parish ministers throughout Scotland asking them to contribute to a Statistical Inquiry by answering as best they could,a series of one hundred and sixty-six Queries respecting each Parish.
The New (or Second) Statistical Account of Scotland built on the previous work carried out by Sir John Sinclair for the First Statistical Accounts by including the knowledge of local doctors and schoolmasters. The Second Statistical Accounts were published between 1834 and 1845.
Alness, County of Ross and Cromarty, Vol. XIX, 1797
Alness, County of Ross and Cromarty, Vol. XIV, 1845
Rosskeen, County of Ross and Cromarty, Vol. II, 1792
Rosskeen, County of Ross and Cromarty, Vol. XIV, 1845