Resolis Place Names
Attribution: not recorded or unknown
G. Ruigh-sholuis, slope of light, or bright slope.
In 1662 the Connissioners for the plantation of Kirks united the parishes of Cullicudden and Kirkmichael into one parish church, to be called the Parish Church of Kirkmichael, and to be built at Reisolace. As the site of the parish church has not been shifted since, it is clear that the name Resolis originally applied only to that slope on which he church now stands, a spot with a bright south-easterly exposure. The New Stat. Acc. Written by Rev. Donald Sage in 1836, records that Resolis rather then Kirkmichael was then the name in popular usage. It has now practically become the official designation also.
Cullicudden included the western portion of the united parish. In addition to the early mention of it noted below, it appears as Cultudyn in 1275 among the churches taxed by the Holy See for relief of the Holy Land. The church was dedicated to St Martin of Tours, and the name of the parish in Gaelic was regularly Sgire Mhartuinn. Hence such names as Kilmartin (where the old church of Cullicudden stood, with its burying-ground), Achmartin, St Martins. In 1641 Charles I. granted to Inverness the fair of 10th November, “quhik was haldin of auld at Sanct Martenis Kirk in Ardmannoche now lyand waist”.
Kirkmichael is the eastern portion of the united parish. The church was known in Gaelic as Cill Mhicheil, and the parish itself as Sgire Mhicheil. The site of the church was at the east end of the parish, close to the firth ; and Hugh Miller, in his “Scenes and Legends,” gives a wild legend bearing on its churchyard. The same legend is current with regard to the churchyards of Dalarossie and of Petty, In Inverness-shire.
Eistir Culbo 1557,
Eistir and Wastir Culboll 1560 ;
G. Curabol ;
from Norse ‘kula,’ a ball or knob, and ‘bol,’ a farm-stead. Kula is applied in place-names to a rounded hill ; cf. de Kool o’ Fladabister in Shetland (Jacobsen). Gaelic ‘r’ is due to dissimilation.
Eistir Bellblair 1557 ;
G. Bail a bhlair, town of the plain.
Kinbeachie 1565-71 ;
G. Cinn a’ bheathchaidh, head of the birch wood (beitheach). Cf. Kinveachy, Aviemore. It is to be taken in connection with
Birkis 1551 ;
G. a Bheithearnaich,
still known as ‘The Birks’ ; beith-ar-n-aich ; for the formation cf. Muc-ar-n-aich, from ‘muc,’ pig ; preas-ar-n-ach, from ‘preas,’ bush ; etc.
Drumcudyn 1528 and 1546 ;
Drumcudden 1458 ;
G. Druimchundainn, also
G. Cuil a’ chudainn,
or, as avariant according to the New. Stat. Acc., ‘Coull a Chuddegin’. The N.S.A. makes it “the Cuddie Creek; that species of fish being formerly, though not now, caught in great abundance in a small creek on the shore of Cullicudden, and a little to the west of the old church”. G. ‘cudainn,’ or ‘cudaig,’ a cuddy.
Braelangwell 1577; a hybrid ;
G. ‘braigh,’ an up-land, and Norse ‘langvollr,’ long-field. There is Langwell in Strathcarron ; also Langwell, Oykell.
Ballaiskaille 1580 ;
G. Baile sgeulaidh,
story-town, or town of the story-teller.
Brey 1533 ;
town of Braire c. 1560 ;
The Wodheid c. 1560 ;
near it is am Bard Gobhlach, the forked meadow.
Craighouse c. 1560 ;
G. Tigh na creige.
Tawninich (Blaeu), east of Balblair ;
G. Tigh ‘n aonaich, town of the market ; there was a market at Jemimaville until recent times.
Copse of the sunny hillock.
G. Bail’ an t-seipeil. Kirkton :
G. Druim(a)doighr ; doubtful;
Daighre was an Irish personal name ;
Maclruanaidh ua Daighre occurs in the Four Masters ; but it does not seem to occur in Scotland.
Green brae. Poyntzfield of old Ardoch, the high place.
G. Bail a’ cheathraimh, town of the quarter (davach).
Well of the cairn.
G. Ceaparnach, or ‘a’ Cheaparnaich,’
an extension of ‘ceap,’ a block, whence ‘ceapach,’ tillage plot ; cf. for formation ‘a’ Bheithearnaich’ above.
G. Fliuchairidh, the wet place ;
a locative of ‘fluch-ar-adh,’ from ‘fliuch,’ wet. The ”s’ is the English plural, as in Geanies, Pitellies, etc.
Jamimaville : a modern name.
An Bard Loisgte
The burnt meadow, near St martins.
G. Tigh an daimh, ox-house.
G. form not found ; named after the battle of 1797.
Rostabrichty, situated, according to Blaeu’s map, a little to the north-west of Braelangwell ; later Rosabrighty, 1740.
Auchnintyne 1580, a pendicle of ‘Ballaskaillie’.
Wester Ballano 1580, mentioned in connection with the same.
Milltoun (Blaeu), on the ‘burn of Milltoun,’ apparently now Allt Dubhach (O.S.M.)
Place Names of Kirkmichael Parish
This extract was taken, with the permission of the Trustees, from Prof. W.J. Watson’s – ‘Place Names of Ross and Cromarty’. The most recent edition of this work was published by HIGHLAND HERITAGE BOOKS Tir nan Oran, 8 Culcairn Road, Evanton IV16 9YT
Place Names of Ross and Cromarty p120 onwards