Attribution: unknown or not recorded

Burial Grounds

The old cemetery at Logieside, Conon Bridge.

The old cemetery at Logieside, Conon Bridge

Attribution: Photo courtesy of Jonathan McColl

Churches

Ferintosh Church of Scotland - possibly 1920s

Attribution: photo courtesy of Tony Innes

Commercial Property

Click on photo album to view thumbnails and then click thumbnail to see the full size images 
Conon » Conon Places » Conon Commercial Premises

Features

Click on photo album to view thumbnails and then click thumbnail to see the full size images 
Conon » Conon Places » Conon Features

Conon Locations

Photograph of the Conon Bridge in the Easter Ross village of the same name in the late 1950s when it was still a temporary structure built over the original which had been damaged by heavy tanks using it during wartime. Crossing the bridge, on the old main A9 road between Dingwall and Inverness, is VGB 645 which was a Ford Prefect of 1958, being hotly pursued by a Highland Omnibuses Guy Arab on service from Dingwall to Inverness. Like so many other buses in this fleet it had an interesting pedigree, having originally operated as a double decker with London Transport during World War 2. The SMT group, of which ‘Highland’ was a member, purchased a number of these vehicles in 1952, rebuilt them in their workshops at Portobello to single deck specification as seen, and re-registered them, this one becoming JWS 124. Behind the bus at the end of the bridge on the left may be seen the garage premises where Frank Menzies built his famous vehicles.

Crossing the Conon bridge when it was the main A9 road

Attribution: unknown

Place Names of Ferintosh Parish

This extract was taken, with the permission of the Trustees, from Prof. W.J. Watson’s – ‘Place Names of Ross and Cromarty’. The most recent edition of this work was published by HIGHLAND HERITAGE BOOKS Tir nan Oran, 8 Culcairn Road, Evanton IV16 9YT

Place Names of Ross and Cromarty p113 onwards

Place Names of Ross and Cromarty

Public Buildings

Conon Bridge Primary School on Leanaig Road which replaced the original on School Road and, in turn, was replaced on the same site by Ben Wyvis Primary School in 2014.

Conon Bridge Primary School
Conon Bridge Primary School

Attribution: unknown

Transport

The original Conon Bridge Station opened on 11 June 1862 and closed almost 100 years later, on 13 June 1960.

Through Network Rail and the Scottish Government the required finance was provided, estimated to be £600,000, and construction began in November 2012. Provision included a single platform around 15 metres in length, a waiting shelter, passenger information systems, cycle racks and lockers, and a new car park, plus wider road access and improved street lighting.

The new station was opened by Keith Brown, Scottish Government Transport Minister, on 8 February 2013, on schedule and on budget.

A link with the original station is provided through the excellent model created by Conon Bridge resident, Tony Innes.

Click on photo album to view thumbnails and then click thumbnail to see the full size images 
Conon » Conon Places » Conon Transport

War Memorials

The information in this section is as prepared by Mr John W Bruce some years ago.

Conon War Memorial