Attribution: unknown or not recorded
Avoch Curling Club
The first recorded match played by the Avoch and Rosemarkie Club was in 1895 at Muir of Ord.when the president was Colonel Fitzroy Stephen CB. There was a curling rink in the village but this was covered over to provide a car park in the late eighties and the present membership uses the Inverness rink.The club is very highly respected in curling circles and regularly wins competitions.
The picture here was taken in 1978 at the Grand Match on the Lake of Monteith when the North of Scotland competes against the South. The match has not been played since as the ice has to be 8 inches thick to support the players safely.
Here we see three of the Avoch team Dodo Wilson, Roddie Cade and Sandy Smith. The fourth player was Colin MacArthur.
Avoch Football Club
From the old minute books it appears that an Avoch Football Club was formed by 1947 or earlier. 1952 saw the introduction of summer football in the Dingwall and District League and the club was a member (except for 1959) until 1965. Avoch re-joined this league in 1982 and continue to be an active member. Despite being very succesful over the years, the Highland Amateur Cup has eluded the team although they have beaten the finalists on three occasions the last being in 2001
As Avoch Rovers the club played in the second eleven league from 1964 until 1967.
A separate club called Avoch Station Hotel played in the Easter Ross Pub League during the 1980’s.
Record of achievements:
Avoch Football Club
League Champions 1953, 1956, 1983, 1985, 1992, 1996, 2000
Conon Cup 1952
Munro Cup 1952, 1989, 1992, 1993, 1994
Macleod Cup 1952, 1953
League Cup 1960, 1986, 1991, 1995, 1998, 2001
Fowler Cup 1960, 1984
Merrythought Cup 1963, 1982, 1994, 1999, 2001
Larchfield Cup 1964, 1998
Ross-shire Cup 1983, 1984, 1988, 1990, 1994, 1997, 1999
MacLean Cup 1984, 1991, 1995, 1998, 2000, 2001
Weigh Inn Cup 1987
Woodside Cup 1996, 1998
Golfing in Avoch
The nearest golf club is the Fortrose and Rosemarkie one at Chanonry Point and many local people are members. In 1996 Bill Ross, who owned the village post office, instigated the Avoch Gentlemen’s Golf Society and a competition is played each May with the proceeds going to charity.
For the first four years the funds totalling £2500 went to the RNLI. In 2000 Bill fell ill and funds of £2975 were directed to the Chemotherapy unit at Raigmore. Tragically Bill died that year and the trophy was renamed after him. In 2001 and 2002 the proceeds of £1500 and £828 were both split between the RNLI and the Doctors’ surgery.
Winners of the competition have been B. Ross (1996), J. Grant (1997), I. Beaton (1998), K. Patience (2000), A. Jack (2001), D. Macfarlane (2002)
The Outdoor Bowing Club
This club opened on 15th July 1950 with a membership of 78 under the presidency of Mr A. J. Mann. The green and pavilion were adjacent to a curling pond, tennis courts and putting green but is the only of these facilities still functioning. The club is a member of the Scottish Bowling Association, the Northern Counties Bowling Association and the Ross and Cromarty Sports Council. The club participates in association, league, open and club competitions.