The first harbour was built in 1814 and was designed by Telford. A new harbour was constructed in the first decade of the twentieth century and the eastern breakwater was added in 1948. It no longer sees the same number of fishing boats as it once did but is used for recreational purposes.
This bridge was built in about 1800 when the harbour was constructed and it linked the fishermen’s cottages on the West side of the village with the area known as Dock and the harbour. During the flood in 1946 when a lot of the silt was washed away from the base of the bridge huge slabs were seen indicating the likeliehood of an older ford on the site.
This unusual object is believed to be part of a Victorian gas manifold – part of a lighting scheme installed by the owner of Rosehaugh House, James Douglas Fletcher. The gasometer was in the grounds of the old blanket factory in George Street. There is now no gas supply to the village. Apart from the general historic interest the Pallay is of sentimental value to a number of locals for whom it was a plaything.