Avoch and Killen Churches
Attribution: Collage by Siobhan Fraser
Avoch Parish Church
This is the third church on this site. The first was was built in 1670 but was destroyed by fire as was its successor. This is the third building and was erected in 1870. Mr James Douglas Fletcher, a great benefactor to the village of Avoch, donated the moderator’s chair and the Communion Table and helped the congregation to fund the beautiful stained glass windows. In more recent years a local painter copied the Beatitudes and the Lord’s Prayer in gold on the wall facing the congregation.
Parish Church hall
Alexander Dewar came to Avoch in 1806. He had been keen to start a Congregational church in Inverness but could find no interest there and travelled on to Avoch where he was received with more enthusiasm. The first services were held in the home of a fisherman’s widow but by 1809 there was a thatched building probably on the site of the Mace store. A better building replaced it in 1819 and the present building on the High Street was erected in the 1880s. In recent years the organ has been thoroughly overhauled. There is an active Sunday School and a Ladies Meeting is held once a month.