World War 1

World War One Collage

War Records 1914-18

Private William Taylor

Private Alexander Thomson

Lieutenant William Thomson

Private John Tollins

Lance Corporal Hugh Tolmie

Gunner William Tolmie

Private A Treasurer

Sergeant Roderick Tuach

Private E T Tulloch

Private James Tulloch

Surname T

Surname Forename Rank Home Relationship
Taylor William Private Muir of Ord  
Thomson Alexander Private Stornoway  
Thomson William Lieutenant St Boswells  
Tollins John Private Glasgow  
Tolmie Hugh L/Corporal Contin  
Tolmie William Gunner Natal
Treasurer A Private Dingwall  
Tuach Roderick Sergeant Canada ex-
Muir of Ord
Tulloch E T Private Beauly  
Tulloch James Private Muir of Ord  

Date of Paper:  21.03.1919
Surname:  Taylor
First Name(s):  William
Rank:  Private
Regiment:  Highland Light Infantry
Home Address:  Bank Cottage, Muir Of Ord

Information has now been received of the death as a prisoner of war in Germany of Private William Taylor, Highland Light Infantry, only son of Mr Wm. Taylor, foreman porter, Muir of Ord Station, and Mrs Taylor, Bank Cottage, Muir of Ord. Private Taylor was taken prisoner at Levantie, France, on 9th April, 1918, and letters were received subsequently from him at regular intervals unit 8th October last. In their anxiety the parents tried every source of information but without success, until last week when a letter was received from a repatriated prisoner of war in Scotland who sent a copy of a German notice intimating that Pte. Taylor had died in hospital at Scheuen-Celle at on the afternoon of the 5th November, 1918, and that the remains were buried in the cemetery in connection with the hospital on the 8th November.
Much sympathy will be expressed with the bereaved parents in the loss of a loving and dutiful son.
A native of Wick, deceased came to Muir of Ord when two years of age. He was educated at Muir of Ord and latterly at the Dingwall Academy, following which he was studying privately for the Civil Service. When he became of military age he immediately volunteered, and received his training at Montrose, Kirkcaldy, Killine Camp, Holt, and Cromer. In January, 1918, he was sent to France where he served through much heavy fighting with the H.L.I. unit he fell into Germany hands in April. He was a very promising boy, possessed of an exceptionally affectionate and quiet disposition, and many friends regret his untimely death.
A photograph appears in this issue.

Date of Paper:  03.12.1915
Surname:  Thomson
First Name(s):  Alexander
Rank:  Private
Regiment:  D (Gairloch) Coy., 1/4th Seaforths
Home Address:  Tong, Stornoway, Isle of Lewis

2399 Private Alex, Thomson, D (Gairloch) Coy., whose portrait appears above, was one of the first of the 1/4th Seaforths to receive the D.C.M. Private Thomson is a son of Mr Thomson, merchant, and Mrs Thomson, Tong Stornway, Lewis, of which place he is a native. He received his early education at Tong Public School, and afterwards attended the Nicolson Institute, Stornway. From there he proceeded to Aberdeen, where he completed his course of training as a certificated teacher, and as such he entered the service of the Glasgow School Board. Shortly after the outbreak of war he requested leave of absence to enlist and he joined the county territorial regiment. While in Aberdeen he had been a member of the 4th Gordons (T.F.), with the result that he soon completed his training, and was able to proceed with the battalion to France in November, 1914. Once at the front Private Thomson was attached to the bomb-throwing section, and in this novel form of warface he soon became an expert. He took part in the battle of Neuve Chapelle and here he distinguished himself for his coolness and courage, in recognition of which he was awarded the D.C.M. The special bit quoted in the Gazette was "for going to the rescue of a wounded member of the Black Watch and bringing him in under heavy fire". Private Thomson was slightly wounded in this battle, but soon recovered and returned to the firing line. In September he received seven days' furlough, which he spent with his people at Tong. On the 9th September he was honoured by the inhabitants of the island, when in the Town Hall, Stornoway, at a large meeting, over which Provost Mackenize presided, Rear-Admiral Tupper pinned the well earned decoration to Private Thomson's breast. Pte Thomson is now back in the trenches, and took his share in the battle of Loos, through which he came without a scratch.

Date of Paper:  15.06.1917
Surname:  Thomson
First Name(s):  William
Rank:  Lieutenant
Regiment:  4th Seaforths
Home Address:  Alma Cottage, St Boswells, Roxburghshire

2nd/ Lieut. Wm. Thomson, 4th Seaforths, who received his discharge in February last consequent on wounds received in action, belongs to St. Boswells, Roxburghshire, where, at Alma Cottage, he is meantime resident with his people, but expects soon to go to London. Lt. Thomson joined what may now be called "the old" 2/4th Seaforths at Bedford on 23rd December, 1915, and went out as a private to the parent battalion just after its strenuous conflict at Neuve Chapelle in March, 1915. He was one of the earliest batches of men to come home for commissioned rank.
On 12th July, 1915, he returned to France, and on 12th October in the same year, along with other two officers, he was wounded by shell fire. Indeed so serious were his wounds - the base of the skull was fractured - that grave anxiety was felt as to his chances of pulling through. He was brought home, and remained unconscious till visited at the Empire Hospital, London, by his sister in December. Twelve months after being wounded - in October last year - he reported to Ripon, and was posted to his earliest unit somewhere on the coast on the second anniversary of his joining up. In Februray, 1917, he received his discharge, and regrets greatly his inability to be once more with the boys. He sends to all his kindliest greetings and best wishes for their good luck.

Date of Paper:  09.08.1918
Surname:  Tollins
First Name(s):  John
Rank:  Private
Regiment:  Royal Scots
Home Address:  15, Cramond Street, Glasgow

Pte. John Tollins, Royal Scots, who has been posted as missing on August 1st 1917, is now reported to have died on that date. Before enlisting in June 1916, he was employed by Messrs James Ferrier & Son, explosive agents, at 82 Mitchell Street, Glasgow. He leaves a widow and three young children, who reside at 15 Cramond Street, Glasgow. Pte. Tollins was a son-in-law of Mr and Mrs Donald Simpson, Culbokie, Ross-shire. A photo of deceased appears to-day.

Date of Paper:  10.12.1915
Surname:  Tolmie
First Name(s):  Hugh
Rank:  Lance Corporal
Regiment:  2nd Battalion Scots Guards
Home Address:  -c/o Post Office, Contin

11536 Lance Corporal Hugh Tolmie, 2nd Battalion Scots Guards, of whom the above is a photograph, was officially missing on 18th May 1915, and for the sake of his wife and four children, who are at present living in London, any information as to his whereabouts would be gratefully received by his mother, Mrs Ann Tolmie, c/o Mrs Bethune, Post Office, Contin. Lance-Corporal Tolmie was out of the Scots Guards and employed as a police constable, but when the war broke out he rejoined his regiment. The deepest sympathy is felt for his mother and his anxious wife and family.

Date of Paper:  25.02.1916
Surname:  Tolmie
First Name(s):  William
Rank:  Gunner
Regiment:  1st Battery Mountain Guns, Central African Contingent
Home Address:  Natal, South Africa (formerly Craig Road, Dingwall)

Gunner William Tolmie, of the 1st Battery Mountain Guns, Central African Contingent, Nyasaland, is a son of Mr William Tolmie, plumber-contractor, Dingwall, and Mrs Tolmie, Craig Road, Dingwall. He was educated at Dingwall Academy, and was for some time employed by W. R. T. Middleton, solicitor, Dingwall. About five years ago he went to South Africa. When the rebellion took place shortly after war broke out, Mr Tolmie volunteered for service and was right through the South-West African campaign. Immediately he returned to Natal he again volunteered for service, and is now in Central Africa taking part in the operations as a result of which it is hoped to expel the German from the African continent. In a cheerful letter home, Gunner Tolmie gives a lucid account of his experiences in Nyasaland. He writes: "I like this country very much. I am at present stationed in a little village called Limbe, and it is a beatiful little place. We left Cape Town on the 22nd November, and we had a good voyage up to Beira, where we transhipped to a steam tug. She took us up as far as Chinde, where we had to again tranship to a still smaller boat. That boat took us the remainder of our journey by water up the Zambesi to Chindio, where we took train to Limbe. From Chinde all the way up the river was Portuguese territory, and as we could not travel by night owing to the difficulty of navigation we had an opportunity of going ashore at the few places there are. They are all very small, being mostly sugar factories.   The first place we came to was Marrowmen. We arrived there in the afternoon, and were shown over the sugar factory. All the engineers, etc, were Glasgow men, and I spent the evening with them. One of them knew Cambuslang well. Next we came to Mopea. This is a very pretty little place. The factory is about four miles from the river, but the people knew we were coming, and sent a little train for us. They were good to us, and gave us a fine time. The following day brought us to Villa Fontes, but we only stayed there a couple of hours. We arrived at Chindio the next day, and were all quite sorry leaving the boat. We had lots of shooting at crocodiles and hippos, but as our ammunition was unsuitable for such game, our bag consisted of only one crocodile. We stayed at Chindio two days off-loading and entraining guns, equipment, stores, etc. It is a very quiet place, with nothing of any interrest. The train journey was not very comfortable owing to the heat, but the people all along the line were very good to us. It was only a twelve hours run, and we travelled by the Shire Highland Railway. We crossed the Portuguese border outside Port Herald, and entered British Central Africa. At San [remainder missing].

Date of Paper:  09.11.1917
Surname:  Treasurer
First Name(s):  A.
Rank:  Private
Regiment:  Seaforths
Home Address:  Camisky Place, Dingwall

There is reproduced to-day a photograph of Pte. A. Treasurer, Seaforths, who, as already reported, has been wounded in the right hand. A native of Dingwall, Pte. Treasurer enlisted early in the war, and was in all the heavy fighting in which his battalion has taken part. Good accounts have been received of his condition. He speedily rejoined his battalion, but subsequently was returned to hospital.
The son of Mr and Mrs Treasurer, Camisky Place, his father, an old soldier, recently received his discharge on account of ill-health.

Date of Paper:  26.01.1917
Surname:  Tuach
First Name(s):  Roderick
Rank:  Sergeant
Regiment:  Canadians
Home Address:  Canada (formerly Forest Hill Cottage, MuiroOf Ord)

Sergeant Roderick Tuach, Forest Hill Cottage, Muir of Ord , son of Mr William Tuach, mason contractor, has been awared the Military Medal for bravery and devotion to duty on the field, and has received the congratulations of his many friends and comrades. Sergt.Tuach emigrated to Canada about four years ago, and shortly after the outbreak of war joined the Army in Vancouver, from whence he was transferred to England, and ultimately to France. Before going to Canada, Sergt. Tuach was a member of the Territorial, 4th Seaforths, of which he was colour-sergeant, and will be remembered as one of the leading shots in the battalion during his time. Sergt. Tuach was severely wounded in June at the engagement at which he won his decoration, and since then has been in hospital in England, where his many friends will be glad to know he is making progress towards recovery.
A younger brother, Mr Donald Tuach, also joined the forces, but died in October last from pneumonia when undergoing training in Yorkshire.
A photograph of Sergt. Tuach is reproduced.

Date of Paper:  14.06.1916
Surname:  Tulloch
First Name(s):    E. T.
Rank:    Private
Regiment:    Camerons
Home Address:    Aigas, Beauly

Pte. E. T. Tulloch, Cameron, who belongs to Aigas, in the Beauly district, and whose portrait appears to-day, was captured by the Germans in recent operations but pluckily made good his escape and reports himself hale and hearty.
Pte. Ainslie Wood, Camerons, who has arrived at his home at Bridge of Brown, near Grantown-on-Spey, was held prisoner by the enemy for five weeks, tells the following story: "On the morning of March 23, I, along with Pte. Tulloch, Beauly, Pte. Macpherson, and a few others, was surrounded by the Germans and had to surrender, after sticking to our trench mortars until the supply of shells had been exhausted. With the two men named, I was compelled to carry shells to one of his guns, after digging it into position. Then we were directed to convey one of our own wounded to a German dressing station. Our next task was the carrying of German wounded for a distance of about five kilometres to meet the Red Cross wagons - poorly equipped they are when compared with our ambulances. About 4 p.m. we were marched to the rear - over 8 kilometres - shoved into a cage like dogs and told to sleep. Cold and wet and without any shelter, we found sleep impossible. For 48 weary hours we remained in the cage, our only food being a piece of black bread and a drink of coffee without milk or sugar. Then the march was resumed for two days and we were accommodated in a large shed for a week. Great was our relief when we left it. I can only describe the food as terrible - it was really unfit for human beings. Our next halting place was the France village of Courcelette, where we were kept for three weeks unloading stone barges on the canal. The food we got was insufficient to maintain our strength. If a man ceased working he was struck by some of the sentries with the butt-end of their rifles. The majority of our men had neither a wash nor shave, and had no change of clothing during those weeks, of which I speak from bitter experience.
At a camp south of Douai, Pte. Tulloch and Macpherson and I made up our minds to attempt to escape. One dark night, unseen by the sentries, we cut our way through the wire and struck off in the direction of Arras. Next day we lay in a shell hole, donning German uniforms a night. Two sentries challenged us as we were crossing their line but we hurried on and they opened fire. We reached the Scarpe Canal. I was unable to swim, but my two comrades assisted me. As we approached the other side, the Canadians, mistaking us for Germans, fired, wounding Private Macpherson in the right shoulder. He is now in hospital in Manchester, reflecting like all three of us on his providential escape from the Huns.

Date of Paper:  18.05.1917
Surname:  Tulloch
First Name(s):  James
Rank:  Private
Regiment-:  King's Own Scottish Borderers
Home Address:  Arcan, Fairburn, Muir of Ord

Pte. James Tulloch, K.O.S.B., who was killed in action in France on 9th April, was a son of Mr and Mrs James Tulloch, Arcan, Fairburn, Muir of Ord. Joining the Scottish Horse about February 1916, five months ago he transferred to the K.O.S.B., and proceeded at once to France. Deceased, who was only 23 years of age, is highly spoken of the district. A singularly nice, agreeable, and amiable fellow, he was popular in the best sense. His loss is much regretted, and sympathy goes out freely to the father, mother, and family at Arcan, who feel sorely so sudden a bereavement.  A photograph appears to-day.

Return to home page
Terms & Conditions     © Ross and Cromarty Heritage