World War 1

World War One Collage

War Records 1914-18

Gunner Signaller Alistair J Maclaren, MM

Lance Corporal (name unknown) Maclean (Avoch)

Private A Maclean

Private Alexander Maclean

Sister Alice Maclean, Royal Red Cross Medal

Sergeant Dan A Maclean

Private Duncan Maclean (Achnashellach)

9/383 2/Lieutenant Duncan Maclean, DCM, MM (Killearnan)

Private Hugh Maclean (Balnakyle)

Private Hugh Maclean (Contin)

Private James M Maclean

Corporal John Maclean (Dingwall)

Sergeant John Maclean (Muir of Ord)

Lance Corporal Malcolm Maclean

Private Roderick Maclean, Leckmelm

Private Roderick Maclean (Quay Street, Ullapool)

Private Roderick Maclean (Shore Street, Ullapool)

Private Simon Maclean

Sapper Thomas Maclean

Corporal Walter D Maclean

Private William Maclean (Balnakyle)

Bombardier William Maclean (Hill Street, Dingwall)

Private William Maclean (Dingwall)

Lance Corporal A Macleay

Private Duncan Macleay

Sergeant John Macleay

Surname Maclaren - Macleay

Surname Forename(s) Rank Home Relationship
Maclaren Alistair J Gunner Alness  
Maclean Not stated L/Corporal Avoch  
Maclean A Private Contin  
Maclean Alexander Private Ullapool  
Maclean Alice Sister Gairloch  
Maclean Dan A Sergeant Dingwall  
Maclean Duncan Private Achnashellach  
Maclean Duncan Gunner Balnakyle Brothers 1
Maclean Duncan 2/Lieutenant Killearnan  
Maclean Hugh Private Balnakyle  1
Maclean Hugh Private Contin  
Maclean James M Private Duntocher  
Maclean John Corporal Dingwall  
Maclean John Sergeant Muir of Ord  
Maclean Kenneth Private Canada ex-Evanton  
Maclean Malcolm L/Corporal Tain  
Maclean Roderick Private Leckmelm  
Maclean Roderick Private Ullapool  
Maclean Roderick Private Ullapool  
Maclean Simon Private Balnakyle  1
Maclean Thomas Sapper  Dingwall Brothers 2
Maclean Walter D Corporal Poyntzfield  
Maclean William Private Balnakyle  1
Maclean William Bombardier Dingwall  2
Maclean  William Private Dingwall  
Macleay A L/Corporal Dingwall  
Macleay Duncan Private Avoch  
Macleay John Sergeant Conon  

Date of Paper 15.03.1918 and 26.09.1919
Surname:  Maclaren
First Name(s):  Alistair J.
Rank:  Gunner Signaller
Regiment:  Royal Field Artillery
Home Address:  Schoolhouse, Alness

2445 Gnr. Alistair J. Maclaren R.F.A., son of Mr Maclaren, M.A., Schoolhouse, Alness, whose photograph is reproduced to-day, has been awarded the Military Medal for gallantry in action. Unfortunately since he was awarded the Medal he has suffered shell-shock and is in Dykebar Hospital, Paisley. Fortunately recent letters show that he is making a good recovery. Gnr Maclarenn joined the R.F.A. in 1916, and after training in England proceeded to France as a signaller. Much respected in Alness, where his boyhood was spent, he is a well remembered pupil of Dingwall Academy where he finished a steadily progressive career in 1915, when he emerged Dux of the school. He entered Edinburgh University after gaining a Menzies Bursary in 1915, and cut short his University studies on reaching Military age the following year. His many friends in Dingwall and Alness, while congratulating him on the distinction he has achieved, and the honour he has brought to the district, will join in the wish that his recovery will be speedy and complete.

Above we reproduce a photograph of Gunner Signaller A. J. Maclaren, R.F.A., who won the Military Medal for bringing in wounded infantrymen during a bombardment at Devil's Crossing, Zounebeke on 13th January, 1918. Following this he contracted trench fever, and suffered from gas poisoning and slight shell shock. He was invalided home on 20th February, 1918, and was finally discharged on Armistice Day. Sgr. Maclaren was a student when he enlisted on 10th May, 1916. He is a son of Mr James Maclaren, M.A., headmaster of Alness Public School.

Date of Paper:  26.05.1916
Surname:  Maclean
First Name(s):  Not known
Rank:  Lance Corporal
Regiment:  1/4th Seaforths
Home Address:  Pitfour, Rosehaugh, Avoch

Lance-Corporal Maclean, Pitfour, Rosehaugh, Avoch, posted missing believed killed on May 9th, 1915, was attached to Black Isle Coy., 1/4th Seaforths. Much regret was felt when it became known that so promising a life had made the supreme sacrifice. He was so esteemed in Avoch, where his kind and earnest endeavour among the youths whom he encouraged to maintain temperance, will be remembered in the IOGT Lodge. He was the eldest son of Sergeant Maclean. Another son, Private Wm. Maclean, was also gassed on the same date, and is now on duty at headquarters, having been with his regiment on foreign service ere going to France, with the Seaforth Regulars. A photograph appears today.

Date of Paper:  12.?.1916
Surname:  Maclean
First Name(s):  A.
Rank:  Private
Regiment:  Unknown
Home Address:  Riverside, Contin

Maclean, Private A., 1674 (18), Riverside Contin, died of wounds in Boulogne Hospital. A bright lad, he was dux in Contin School and a bursar at Dingwall Academy. Subsequently became draper, and joined up on mobilisation proceeding to France with the third draft in March, 1915.

Date of Paper:  15.11.1918
Surname:  Maclean
First Name(s):  Alexander
Rank:  Private
Regiment:  Seaforths
Home Address:  Shore Street, Ullapool

It was with feelings of the greatest regret (says a correspondent) that intimation of the death in action of Pte. Alexander Maclean has been received in Ullapool, where he was well-known and a great favourite with all. For eight years before his enlistment he was employed first with Mr Gorge Cameron, merchant, and later in the office of Mr Kenneth Cameron, factor. In November last he left to join the Seaforths, and was sent to France in February, when he was transferred to the Argyll and Sutherland. He had been in a number of engagements, but escaped without a scratch until he was killed in the taking of St. Quinn on 30th September.
In writing to his father the Chaplin says: "I wish to inform you of the high respect in which your dear boy was held by all who knew him; this both for his exemplary character as well as his devotion to duty. The task these lads accomplish during the days and nights of severe exposure and bitter fighting is such as to fill our hearts with pride and admiration. And I know that when you feel most bitter in the thought that for him is no returning to the old home in the North you will always find fatherly solace and inspiration in the memory of such a brave lad. He did not fail his home and country in this hour of peril but went boldly our and laid down his life that we might be free."
The sympathy of all is with his parents Mr and Mrs Kenneth Maclean, Shore Street, Ullapool in their great bereavement this being the second of their sons to fall in the war. A photo appears to-day.

Date of Paper:  16.01.1920
Surname:  Maclean
First Name(s):  Alice
Rank:  Sister
Regiment:  QAIMNS
Home Address:  Strath Village, Gairloch

The many friends in Gairloch of Sister Alice Maclean, who has been on War Service since 1914, were delighted to see her home recently on a well deserved holiday. Sister Maclean, who is a daughter of Mr John Maclean, Strath Village, was a nurse in St. Marylebone Infirmary, London, and on the outbreak of hostilities volunteered her services to the Red Cross. She served in the Military Hospital, Devonport, up to 1916, when she accompanied her unit, the QAIMNS. to the Salonica Front and from there went to the Italian Front towards the end of 1917,where she had been until the disbandment of the unit last November.
Miss Maclean has many thrilling incidents to relate of the great struggle in Northern Italy, which culminated in the crushing defeat of the Austrian Army. On 4th December last she was presented with the Royal Red Cross Medal by His Majesty the King at Buckingham Palace, and subsequently was one of those nurses who had the additional honour of being received by Queen Alexandra at Marlborough House. Sister Maclean, who has now resumed her duties at Marylebone Infirmary, London, had three brothers on active service, one of whom was killed at Festubert, France, in June 1915, and three of her sisters are school teachers, two of them serving under the Gairloch School Management Committee. A photograph of Nurse Maclean is reproduced.

Date of Paper:  26.09.1919
Surname:  Maclean
First Name(s):  Dan A.
Rank:  Staff Sergeant-Major
Regiment:  A.S.C.
Home Address:  Lochbuie, Dingwall

Reproduced above will be found the photograph of Mech. Staff Sergt.-Major Dan A. Maclean, A.S.C., who was a victim of the terrible scourge influenza and died in Paris in February, 1919. A son of the late Mr Donald Maclean, slater contractor, Dingwall, and Mrs Maclean, Lochbuie, Dingwall, and now resident in Glasgow, he joined the 4th Seaforths at the outbreak of war and went to France in November, 1914. He saw much active service with the county territorials before transferring to the A.S.C. It is almost tragic that he should after 4½ years of active service, have succumbed so shortly after hostilities ceased.

Date of Paper:  .09.15.1919
Surname:  Maclean
First Name(s):  Duncan
Rank:  Private
Regiment:  Seaforths
Home Address:  Gate House, Balnacra, Achnashellach

Reproduced above is a photograph of Pte. Duncan Maclean, 7th Seaforth Highlanders, who was reported wounded and missing on the 12th October, 1917, at Passchendale Ridge. Since then he has been presumed killed on that date. Previous to joining up in 1916, Pte Maclean was employed with Mr Paris as mail driver between Strathcarron and Sheildaig, where he was well liked by all who knew him. He went through and operation for appendicitis in the Ross Memorial Hospital, Dingwall, in 1914, which kept him from going East with the Ross Mountain Battery, of which unit he was a member before the war. He joined the 2nd Seaforths in France in 1916, and was invalided home with trench feet the same winter. He went out again to the 7th Seaforths in May, 1917.
Any information about him will be gladly received by his father and mother, who reside at the Gate House, Balnacra, Achnashellach, Ross-shire.

Date of Paper:  29.06.1917 and 14.12.1917
Surname:  Maclean
First Name(s):  Duncan
Rank:  Gunner
Regiment:  R.G.A.
Home Address:  Balnakyle, Munlochy

No photo available

There is reproduced to-day photographs of the stalwart Black Isle soldiers, the only sons of Mrs Maclean who is a widow, and resides near Balnakyle. The three men are splendid specimens of the Celtic race, every one of them is over six feet high, and of striking, very handsome appearance.
Pte. Simon Maclean is in his 24th year he emigrated some years ago to New Zealand giving up a lucrative position there to join a (unclear) of the New Zealand boys. He has taken part in several engagements on the Western Front. He was wounded and sent to hospital in this country, since when he has been doing well somewhere in the south of England.
Pte Hugh Maclean is in his 22nd year. Hugh is the second son who answered the call, he joined the 4th Seaforths; proceeding with them in November, 1914, to France. With the exception of an interval when he was (unclear) suffering from trench feet, he has been with the battalion in France throughout. He is an excellent shot, he has been principally engaged in sniping.
Pte. William Maclean is in his 19th year. Immediately on attaining military age he joined the 4th Seaforths, and proceeding to France was attached to the transport corps. All three boys began their services in the employment of the late Mr C. M. Cameron (unclear), and latterly with Captain James Cameron, who as is well-known along with his brother, Captain C.M, Cameron, was one of the officers to proceed to France at the call of duty.

Mrs Maclean, a widow, who resides near Balnakyle, Munlochy, has just received the sorrowful news that the eldest of her four sons serving has died of wounds. In June last, we printed photographs of the three elder sons, fine stalwart Highlanders, each one of them over six feet in height.
Sergt. Simon Maclean, New Zealanders, the elder son, who died of wounds on 22nd November, went to New Zealand in 1912, and was in the employment of Mr Robert (unclear). Stationed at Miller's Flat when war broke out. He joined the Otago battalion at the outbreak of war, and had been twice wounded. Before going abroad he was in the service of the late Mr C.M. Cameron, Balnakyle. Deceased was 24 years of age. His photo appears to-day.
L/Corpl. Hugh Maclean, Seaforths, aged 22, the second son was wounded in the throat in the recent fighting and is now in the Royal Infirmary, Aberdeen. He has been with the County Territorials in France since November, 1914. An excellent shot he was a noted and daring sniper.
Gunner Duncan Maclean, R.G.A., who was severely wounded in November has lost his right leg and is in hospital in France.
In her bereavement and continued anxiety, deep sympathy will be universal here at home and among friends at the front with Mrs Maclean who has been so righteously proud of her soldier sons and their splendid record.

Date of Paper:  29.06.1917 and 14.12.1917
Surname:  Maclean
First Name(s):  Hugh
Rank:  Private
Regiment:  Seaforths
Home Address:  Balnakyle, Munlochy

Date of Paper:  29.06.1917
Surname:  Maclean
First Name(s):  Simon
Rank:  Sergeant
Regiment:  New Zealanders
Home Address:  New Zealand, ex-Balnakyle, Munlochy

Date of Paper:  26.06.1917
Surname:  Maclean
First Name(s):  William
Rank:  Private
Regiment:  Seaforths
Home Address:  Balnakyle, Munlochy

Date of Paper:  12.04.1918
Surname:  Maclean
First Name(s):  Duncan
Rank:  Second Lieutenant
Regiment:  New Zealanders
Home Address:  Parkton, Killearnan.

2/Lt. Duncan Maclean, 9/383, Otago Regiment New Zealand Forces, whose photograph is reproduced to-day, and who was the youngest son of Mr Donald Maclean, Parkton, Killearnan, Ross-shire, was accidentally killed on the Western Front on the 3rd March, 1918. Thirty five years of age the deceased officer went to New Zealand twelve years ago, and there he established a most successful agricultural business. On the outbreak of war he came across with the first New Zealand Expeditionary Force, and went through the campaign in Gallipoli, where he was wounded. Subsequently he proceeded to France, and has been through much severe fighting there. At Passchendaele for his most conspicuous bravery and devotion to duty, Lt. Maclean was awarded the D.C.M. and promoted to officer rank on the field. A few weeks ago he was home on short leave to see his aged parents, who are in infirm health, and to whom the community extend the deepest sympathy in their bereavement.
His chaplain writing to Lt. Maclean's father says :-- "He was an excellent officer, for it is very seldom a man nowadays is promoted on the field as he was. Further, just a few days ago, he had been offered the position of Transport Officer of the brigade with the rank of Captain; but evidently his service in this work was finished and God took him to other work through the thin film which we call death. He was accorded a full military funeral with firing party and band and battalion present this afternoon. His body is laid in a quiet little churchyard far behind the firing line. The place will be marked by a cross with his name. I am sure you must have been proud of him, for he was a son that any father and mother might well have been proud of. In this great cause he did what he could. He served his King and country with every ounce of his strength. Will you please accept through me the sympathy of the battalion in the [remainder obscured]
N.B.  Duncan Maclean was Mentioned in Dispatches twice.

In March 2018 RCHS was contacted by Ms Janet Glass, Toronto, who had found the above extract in our website and who has a family connection with Lt Duncan Maclean.  She provided a link to a friend in New Zealand, Iain Davidson, who had researched the history behind the "accidentally killed" mentioned above and who had submitted it as an article to The Otago Daily Times.  Iain Davidson has kindly given permission for his research to be added to the extract on 2/Lieutenant Duncan Maclean, for which RCHS is most grateful.

An incident that occurred on the Western Front in the opening months of 1918 is both chilling and compelling.  It was not reported by the press at the time, as such stories were censored.  For the war-weary public the story would have been seen by the authorities as demoralising.

The Official History of the Otago Regiment NZEF in the Great War written after the war mentions briefly that "A tragic affair occurred in the 2nd Battalion lines on March 3rd."  Captain Roland J Hill, MC, and 2/Lieutenant Duncan Maclean, MM, "were fatally shot without apparent reason by a private of the Battalion Transport who, presumably insane, subsequently shot himself.

Private Avon John Roderique and his gravestone in Hazebrouck communal cemetery.

Private Avon John Roderique, 9/1958, was a 20-year-old labourer from Round Hill, Riverton, when he enlisted in October 1915.  After service in Egypt and Gallipoli he was sent to the Western Front where he spent several months as a frontline soldier and had no reported disciplinary problems.  A brother, 8/2117 Private Sylvester Roderique, was killed in action on 27 September 1916. 

On 3 March 1916 Roderique was behind lines, attached to the battalion's transport section, near Hondeghem, France.  That morning, 2/Lieutenant Maclean went to the Transport Sergeant to detail a driver for a mess cart.  Pte Roderique was summoned, as he was due back with his company at the front.  Five minutes later a shot rang out and 2/Lieutenant Maclean was shot with a revolver, dying instantly.  He was found with his hands in his pockets and a bullet wound to his forehead.  He had been shot by Roderique who, being a private, was not entitled to have a revolver (and this was probably a souvenired German sidearm).

Captain Roland J. Hill, MC  [Photo courtesy of Maggie Petch, Northampton, whose husband is a great-nephew of Captain Hill.]

Roderique then proceeded to the Quartermaster's Stores where he talked to Captain Hill.  He was reported as saying to Hill, "I believe you are sending me back to the trenches, Sir."  Hill told him to go and do his work.  Seconds later another shot rang out.  Hill was seen to stagger and fall.  Private Roderique was seen to have a revolver in his hand, and was rushed from behind by another soldier but managed to shoot himself through the head.  His fellow soldiers reported that Roderique was in his normal mind earlier that morning.  He was buried at the Hazebrouck communal cemetery two days later.  A court of inquiry found that his wounds were self-inflicted.

Eye-witnesses at the hearing included Lt Colonel James Hardie Neil who said, "I am the OC No. 3 NZ Field Ambulance.  This morning at or about 9.30 am I was called by a sergeant of the Otago Battalion to the transport lines at Hondeghem.  At the entrance of the east side of the stables I found the body of 2/Lieutenant Maclean.  He had not been dead more than half an hour, and had a wound over his left eye.  It was obvious a bullet wound was his cause of death, as his hands were in his breech pockets and [as] there was no sign of a struggle it was obvious he had been taken unawares when shot.  I was then taken to the Quartermaster's Store and in an ambulance car [was] the body of Captain Hill.  He had a bullet wound to the side of his head that was obviously the cause of his death.  In the yard I found the body of a private [Roderique] of the same battalion.  He had been dead no longer than a quarter of an hour.  He had a bullet wound in the roof of the mouth.  There was no sign of other injury to the body, from the position of the wound [it] could only have been self-inflicted."

Sergeant John William Sim, 9/81, stated:  "I am Transport Sergeant of the Regiment.  I was working on the limbers at about 9.30 am on 3 March 1918.  2/Lieutenant Maclean came down to notify me to detail another driver for mess cart as Private Roderique was being returned to his company today.  About five minutes after, while I was in the stable, I heard a shot fired and immediately after I saw a head protruding from underneath the tarpaulin at the end of the stable, not knowing at the time what really had happened until I went outside the stable and saw 2/Lieutenant Maclean lying on his back, shot through the forehead.  I immediately sent for a doctor and gave what attention I could to Lt Maclean.  I also gave orders that no one was to touch the body.  I looked around for Private Roderique but he was nowhere to be found.  Having an idea that he may have gone to the Quartermaster's Stores, I followed him there.  When I arrived the first thing I saw was Captain Hill lying on his face in the Store, with a wound to the head.  He seemed to be dead."

Private George Armstrong Turnbull, 8/3777, stated:  "I belong to the Transport of the 2nd Battalion Otago Regiment.  At the stables about 9.30 am on 3 March 1918, I was grooming my charger which was tied up just inside the stable door.  I heard the report of a firearm which startled the animal.  As soon as it got quietened I went to see what had happened.  On lifting the wind screen over the stable door, I found Lt Maclean lying on his back with a wound in his forehead.  He had both hands in his trouser pockets.  He did not seem to be quite dead then."  Private Turnbull also said that he saw Private Roderique at 8 o'clock and said he was joking and laughing at that hour and seemed in his normal state of mind.

Another witness, Private Alexander Ballantyne, 13305, made the statement:  "I am employed at the Quartermaster's Stores of the 2nd Otago Regiment.  At about half past nine on 3 March I saw  Captain Hill come into the Quartermaster's Stores.  Shortly after, Private Roderique came into the stores and said to Captain Hill, 'I believe you are sending me back to the trenches, Sir'.  Captain Hill told Roderique in reply to get out of it and do his work.  A few seconds afterwards, as I was putting away the brushes, I heard a shot fired.  On turning around I saw Captain hill stagger and fall, and with Privatem Roderique with a revolver, and I caught him from behind at the same instant he shot himself through the head."  Ballantyne had seen Roderique at 8.30 am and then again at 9 am, and said he seemed to be in his normal state of mind.

The last witness, a civilian, Suzanne Lobbuduz of Hondeghem, said:  "At about 9.15 am I saw a soldier pointing a revolver at Lt Maclean after the latter had passed on his way down the street.  The soldier then followed Lt Maclean at a few yards distance.  Five minutes later I saw this soldier come running back towards the Quartermaster's Stores.  Fearing that he may harm, I ran to warn Captain Hill.  At that moment I saw Captain Hill come out of his office to go to the stores.  The soldier asked Captain Hill 'are you going to send me back to the trenches'.  Captain Hill said 'No' and turned around to speak to me.  At that moment the soldier fired a revolver wounding Captain Hill in the head.  Another soldier rushed at the one who fired the shot and tried to disarm him, but before he could do so the soldier with the revolver shot himself through the head."

Of the two murdered that day, Scotsman Duncan Maclean was a Main Body man, service number 9/383, from Lady Barkly, Winton.  He served in Gallipoli where he received a gunshot wound to the head.  He recovered and was back at the front two months later.  He was awarded the Military Medal for acts of gallantry in the field in France and was twice Mentioned in Dispatches.  He gradually rose up the ranks, receiving a commission as second lieutenant in late 1917, and was appointed 2nd Otago Battalion's Transport Officer.

The other officer involved was Roland Justice Hill, a married man with two young children, from Dunedin.  He enlisted as a private, service number 8/1506, and sailed with the 3rd Reinforcements Otago Infantry Battalion.  He rose up the ranks to be Regimental Quartermaster Sergeant Major and was then commissioned, rising to the rank of captain.  He also won a gallantry award, the Military Cross, in January 1918 for "conspicuous gallantry and devoktion to duty" and was also Mentioned in Dispatches.

The funeral of Captain Hill and 2/Lieutenant Maclean at Hondeghem, as captured by Sanders in the official NZEF series of photos, H443.

Two photographs of the graves of Captain Hill (right) and 2/Lieutenant Maclean (right). [Photos courtesy of Maggie Petch, Northampton.]

See Killearnan War Memorial

Date of Paper:  04.05.1917
Surname:  Maclean
First Name(s):  Hugh
Rank:  Private
Regiment:  Seaforths
Home Address:  Jamestown, Contin

Pte. Hugh Maclean (whose photograph reproduce) is the youngest son of Mr and Mrs Maclean, Jamestown, Contin. He joined a Seaforth battalion about 18 months ago, and took part in some stiff fighting on the Western Front last December, when many of his comrades went under. He has undergone treatment for diphtheria and trench fever in an English hospital. He has been spending a few days with his parents before rejoining his unit.
Another brother is with a Canadian engineering battalion.

Date of Paper:  03.12.1915
Surname:  Maclean
First Name(s):  James McNeilage
Rank:  Private
Regiment:  Gordon Highlanders
Home Address:  Invergordon

Mr and Mrs Donald Maclean Duntocher, Dumbartonshire, received official information that their son, Pte. James McNeilage Maclean, machine gun section, 10th Gordon Highlanders, and grandson of the late Donald Maclean, Clyde Street, Invergordon, was killed in action on the 23rd September. He was 24 years of age, and enlisted at the outbreak of war. He served his apprenticeship as a shipwright with Messrs Napier & Miller, Old Kilpatrick.

Date of Paper:  31.08.1917
Surname:  Maclean
First Name(s):  John
Rank:  Corporal
Regiment:  Seaforths
Home Address:  Tigh-na-Crae, Craig Road, Dingwall

Above we reproduce the photographs of the late Corporal John Maclean, Seaforths, and Private William Maclean, sons of Mr Wm. Maclean builder, Tigh-na-Crae, Craig Road, Dingwall. As we intimated in a recent issue, Corpl Maclean was wounded by shrapnel in the right leg on 2nd August, and died of his wounds of 5th August. About thirty years of age, and a mason to trade he was a partner with his father, who has been an invalid for three or four years now in the well-known firm of William Maclean & Son, and whose work can be seen all over the Highlands. Joining up in October, 1915, he went to France with the Seaforths some eighteen months ago, where he had since without holiday.. He was a brave soldier and proud of his regiment.
His younger brother, William who was an apprentice engineer in Glasgow at the outbreak of war, was one of those to join Kitchener's first hundred thousand. He went to the 7th Seaforths and was severely wounded at Loos in September, 1915. For a year he received treatment in hospital, after he received his discharge.

Date of Paper:  14.12.1917
Surname:  Maclean
First Name(s):  John
Rank:  Sergeant
Regiment:  Seaforths
Home Address:  Lovat Cottage, Muir of Ord

There is reproduced to-day a photograph of Sergt. John Maclean, Seaforths (Regulars), Muir of Ord, the eldest son of Mr Alexander Maclean, Lovat Cottage, Muir of Ord, who was killed in action on October 4, 1917, on the Western Front. Previous to joining up the B.E.F. at the outbreak of war, Sergt, Maclean was for three years a police constable in Prestwick, Ayrshire. Expecting when recovering from wounds received in April, 1915, he had been continuously on active service since the outbreak of war, and had more war experience than many, being one of the few men remaining with his unit who had been through it all.
Captain Hector C.S. Munro, writing to the father of deceased, in a kind and sympathetic letter, says: "Your son was a true Highlander and a splendid type of man in every way. He was beloved alike by both officers and men, and his loss is sadly felt. I was particularly fond of him, and had known him since the early days of the war, and I daresay it was because we both came from the same part of Ross-shire that made me admire him more. Any battalion would have been proud to have had such a man in its ranks and I know that this battalion was. I feel it a great honour to have known such a gallant fellow".
The Rev. J. Gray, C.F., in a letter states that Sergt. Maclean was hit after his company had reached its objective, and when he was carrying a message back to the commanding officer. He handed over the message to the man who accompanied him and very soon afterwards passed away. "In action," says the Chaplain, "he was brave and courageous and had a splendid influence on the men".

There is no entry in The Ross-shire Journal of the time regarding Private Kenneth Maclean but RCHS is grateful for the information supplied by his granddaughter, Helen Maclennan.

Surname:  Maclean
First Name(s);  Kenneth
Rank:  Private 118086
Regiment:  Canadian Overseas Expeditionary Force
Home Address:  2 Balconie Street, Evanton

Kenneth Maclean was born in Evanton on 8 March 1887 and lived there until he emigrated to Canada where he worked as a rancher.  He enlisted in the Canadian Overseas Expeditionary Force, at Pincher Creek, Alberta, on 17 March 1915.  Following training he served in France until he was hospitalised on 5 June 1916 owing to a gunshot wound to his left hip, sustained at the Battle of Ypres.  After treatment he was attached to the Canadian Corps HQ until he returned to duty on 17 November 1917.  In July 1918 he was assigned to a special course for Regimental Police at the Canadian Corps Infantry School and rejoined his regiment in August of that year.  In February of 1919 he was attached to the Canadian Corps in Bramshott where he served until his final discharge from the unit in June 1919.

Private Kenneth Maclean in 1915 .....

..... and in 1949.

Date of Paper:  19.04.1918
Surname:  Maclean
First Name(s):  Malcolm
Rank:  Lance-Corporal
Regiment:  Royal Scots
Home Address:  10 Lamington Street, Tain

As recently reported official news has been received at 10 Lamington Street, Tain, that Lce.-Cpl. Malcolm Maclean, Royal Scots, has died of severe wounds in the 18th General Hospital, France. Lce.-Cpl. Maclean mobilised at the outbreak of war, and had a long spell of active service. Taking part in the Gallipoli campaign, where he got badly wounded in the head after six months treatment in hospital he rejoined his regiment, and was sent to France. There he saw much fighting. A bad attack of dysentery sent him home, but he made a good recovery. He paid a visit to Tain a year ago to see his people. Since then he had been in France and was slightly wounded L./C. Maclean is the youngest some of Mr and Mrs Geo. Maclean, late of Dalmore, Ardross, where the gallant soldier made many friends. Much sympathy is felt with the father and mother and the sisters, who reside at 10 Lamington Street, Tain.
A photograph appears to-day.

Date of Paper:  27.10.1916
Surname:  Maclean
First Name(s):  Roderick Maclean
Rank:  Private
Regiment:  Cameron Highlanders
Home Address:  The Gardens, Leckmelm, Ullapool

Quite a gloom was cast over the Ullapool district when it became known a short time ago that Private Roderick Maclean No. 6743, Cameron Highlanders, was killed in action on the 17th August, 1916.
Private Maclean, who was 29 years of age, was a son of the late Mr Alexander Maclean, Inverasdale, and of Mrs Maclean, The Gardens, Leckmelm, Ullapool, where his brother is gardener and another brother is gamekeeper.
Private Maclean joined the 2nd Camerons when a lad of 16 years of age, and was stationed in India for 8 years. After finishing his time in India he came home for six months and thereafter went out to New Zealand.
At the outbreak of war being a reservist, he was called up, and arrived in this country in November, 1914, when he went into training after which he was drafted out to France in February, 1915. On the 9th of May, 1915, he was wounded, being shot through the shoulder. In April last he was transferred to another Cameron battalion, and was in France up to the date of his death.
Private Maclean was an exceedingly good hearted and genial young man, and was very popular with all who knew him. The greatest sympathy is extended to his mother and sisters and brothers in their sorrow. Another brother, Private Donald Maclean No. 5896, Scots Guards, has been reported missing since early in the war.
A photograph of Pte. Maclean appears in this issue.

Date of Paper:  14.12.1917
Surname:  Maclean
First Name(s):  Roderick
Rank:  Private
Regiment:  Seaforths
Home Address:  Quay Street, Ullapool

It was with an overwhelming pang of grief (says an Ullapool correspondent) that this community heard of the death through wounds of 267546 Private Roderick Maclean, Seaforth Territorials younger son of Mr John Maclean, draper and clothier, Ullapool. Roderick Maclean, who was twenty-one years of age, attested under the voluntary scheme in January, 1916. He was called up on 10th September, 1916. Having trained in England he went to France in January, 1917. He went through three years engagements at Arras, in one of which he acted as dispatch runner. On the third day of the great advance on Cambrai, while defending one of our positions against counter attacks, he was mortally wounded. His parents, after a few days of trying suspense received the sad news of his death on November 30. Before joining up Pte. Maclean had charge of his father's business at Quay Street, Ullapool, and in this capacity endeared himself to all with whom he came in contact. He was also clerk and collector for the Ullapool Pier Trustees. His genial, pleasant manner, his transparent sincerity, and his readiness to lend a helping hand to any who needed his services made him a general favourite in the village. He will be greatly missed.

Brave, unto death, thou did still danger face
Brother, beloved of loved ones, loved the Best
Thy memory sweet nought, ever can efface
Till we like thee, have gone to our long rest
Till we shall see thy radiant smile again
Where parting never more shall rend theheart:
Till then, Lord give us strength to bear the pain
Till then, beloved, sleep;  you've done your part.

Date of Paper:  03.11.1916
Surname:  Maclean
First Name(s):  Roderick
Rank:  Private
Regiment:  Seaforths
Home Address:  Shore Street, Ullapool

Private Rod Maclean, 12483, Seaforths died of wounds in 45 Casualty Clearing Station, France, on 14th October, was the son of Mr Kenneth Maclean, Point, Shore Street, Ullapool. A photograph appears above.
The sad news was received with great grief by everyone in the village, where "Roddy" was such a favourite with old and young and where sincere sympathy is felt for his father, mother and brothers in their bereavement.
"Roddy" Maclean who was under 20 years of age joined the Seaforth Highlanders on the 22nd March last, and went into training at Cromarty, where he was transferred to another battalion of the Seaforths. On the 14th July he was sent to France, previous to which he was home on leave for a few days. He was wounded on the field in making an attack in open formation in the evening of the 12th instant; having been struck in tow places by bullets; one hitting him in the arm and the other in the stomach. He survived his wounds less than two days.
Ever mindful of his family, his mother had no less than four field cards from him the same evening as the sad news of his death was received and last Friday evening his eldest brother Alexander, has a card from him written on the morning of the day he was [remainder obliterated]

Date of Paper:  24.04.1917
Surname:  Maclean
First Name(s):  Thomas
Rank:  Sapper
Regiment:  Canadians
Home Address:  Toronto, Canada (ex-Hill Street, Dingwall)

Above we reproduce photographs of two sons of Mrs Maclean, Hill Street, Dingwall, who in one week received the sad intelligence that one of her sons had been killed in action and another one wounded. Sapper Thomas Maclean, Canadians, killed on 15th February, was one of the first to respond to the call of the Motherland in Canada, He was a fine stamp of a Highlander, and popular in his battalion. He leaves a widow and two children who reside in Toronto. Mrs Maclean's other son, Bombardier William Maclean, R.G.A., was wounded in the leg on 27th February, and now lies in hospital at Salonica. An assistant with Mr Hector Crawford, draper, he joined the county battery shortly after mobilisation and has been through the campaign with good fortune until now.

Date of Paper:  24.04.1917
Surname:  Maclean
First Name(s):  William
Rank:  Bombardier
Regiment:  R.G.A.
Home Address:  Hill Street, Dingwall

Date of Paper:  04.04.1919
Surname:  Maclean
First Name(s):  Walter
Rank:  Corporal
Regiment:  Gloucester
Home Address:  Wallheads Farm, Poyntzfield

Mr and Mrs Alexander Maclean, Wallheads Farm, Poyntzfield, Invergordon, have received official intimation of the death of their son, Corpl. Walter Maclean, 241656 Gloucester Regiment. Reported wounded and missing in March, 1918, information as to his whereabouts was eagerly sough by his parents and chums. On the 17th February, Mr and Mrs Maclean, after many weary months of cruel anxiety received official news from the War Office that their son had been killed in action on the 27th March, 1918, and was buried by the Germans. Corpl. Maclean was the third son of Mr and Mrs Maclean. Much sympathy is felt for the sorrowing parents who have been compelled to pass through such a terrible ordeal always hoping that their son would turn up on the end. Corpl. Maclean joined at Gloucester Regiment in 1916 at the age of 20 and after training at Salisbury Plain was drafted to France in July of the same year. He was wounded in April, 1917, and saw some heavy fighting. Prior to enlistment deceased was a draper in England. A photograph appears in today's issue

Date of Paper:  31.08.1917
Surname:  Maclean
First Name(s):  William
Rank:  Private
Regiment:  Seaforths
Home Address:  Dingwall

Photograph only, no text.

Date of Paper:  18.05.1917
Surname:  Macleay
First Name(s):   A.
Rank:  Lance-Corporal
Regiment:  Royal Scots Fusiliers
Home Address:  Ferry Road, Dingwall

There is reproduced to-day a photograph of the late Lance-Corporal A. Macleay, Royal Scots Fusiliers, who was killed in action on the Western Front on 23rd April. Official intimation of the death was received by his father, Mr D. Macleay, forester, Ferry Road, Dingwall, from the commanding officer of the deceased. Lance-Corporal Macleay was a well set-up soldierly young man, and was well-known in Dingwall, where he served his apprenticeship as a grocer with Mr William Macmillan. At the time of the enlistment he was manager of the Crown Tavern, Broxburn. Widespread sympathy is felt with those who have just lost a gallant son.

Date of Paper:  08.06.1917
Surname:  Macleay
First Name(s):  Duncan
Rank:  Private
Regiment:  Seaforths
Home Address:  Avoch


It was with feeling of genuine regret that Avoch received the news that Pte. Duncan Macleay, Seaforth Regulars, had been killed in action. Pte. Macleay was only 19 years of age, and was a great favourite in Avoch, of which he was a native, and from where he passed into the Munlochy Bank to act as clerk. He was a particularly nice and obliging lad. His father has for many years acted as church officer in the Parish Church, and as School Board officer and janitor, and no man is more highly respected than he. For him as well as for the sister and brothers deep sympathy is felt. A photograph appears to-day.

Date of Paper:  17.12.1915
Surname:  Macleay
First Name(s):  John
Rank:  Sergeant
Regiment:  7th Camerons
Home Address:  Conon Bridge

16100 Sergeant John Macleay, 7th Camerons, of whom the above is a photograph, is in the Red Cross Hospital, Saffron Walden, Essex, suffering from wounds received in the battle of Loos on 25th September, and is progressing slowly. He is the son of Mr Donald Macleay, mason, Conon Bridge, and previous to the war was in the service of Sir T. Glen Coats, Ferguslie Park, Paisley.

Return to home page
Terms & Conditions     © Ross and Cromarty Heritage