World War 1

World War One Collage

War Records 1914-18

Private Alexander Leitch

Captain George M Levack

Sergeant Louis Lisle

Private James Little

Private A Logan

Lance Corporal Donald Logan

Cadet J Lumsden

Surname L

Surname Forename Rank Home Relationship
Leitch Alexander Private Avoch  
Levack George M Captain Edinburgh  
Lisle Louis Sergeant Muir of Ord  
Little James Private Lochcarron  
Logan A Private Alness Brothers 1
Logan Donald L/Corporal Alness  1
Lumsden J Cadet Muir of Ord  

Date of Paper:  15.11.1918
Surname:  Leitch
First Name(s) --------Alexander
Rank:  Private
Regiment:  Royal Warwick Regiment
Home Address:  6, Margaret Street, Avoch

No. 33599 Private Alex. Leitch, M.T., attached to the Royal Warwick Regiment, is at present in Queen Mary's Military Hospital, Whalley, Lancashire. He was recently wounded in the left arm and hand, and had his forefinger blown off. News of his progress has been received by his relatives, Mr and Mrs A. Leitch, merchant, 6 Margaret Street, Avoch, with whom Private Leitch resided since being orphaned. His only sister is now on duty at Inverness. Prior to enlisting in the Motor Transport in October 1915,
Private Leitch was serving his apprenticeship with Messrs Macrae & Dick, Inverness, and was on duty in the garage at Invergordon. After six months training he proceeded to France, and was a period with the motor transports until drafted into the Royal Warwick Regiment, and was over two years on the Western Front. He also saw service in Italy since a year, but returned to France a few weeks ago.
A photo appears today.

Date of Paper:  27.10.1916
Surname:  Levack
First Name(s):  George M.
Rank:  Captain (Dr.)
Regiment:  Royal Army Medical Corps
Home Address:  Edinburgh

Captain George M. Levack, M.B., Ch.B., R.A.M.C., killed in action, was the younger son of Mr J. S. Levack. Captain Levack received his early education at the Higher Grade School, Tobermory, where his father is the headmaster, and spent one year at the Broughton School, Edinburgh, where his sister was teacher of modern languages. He graduated in 1914, and immediately undertook work in connection with the army, and was sent to train ambulance corps at Dundee. Subsequently, he discharged medical duties in various parts in England. In August 1915 he was posted as a medical officer to the Seaforths, and served with the battalion at the front for a year. After three weeks' hospital duty he was recalled to active service, and was attached to the infantry. He was in the act of going to a dug-out to attend to some of the wounded British soldiers, when a shrapnel shell struck him, and he expired immediately.
"A fanfare of trumpets and then a clear, beautiful, resonant voice repeats the service: 'Better love hath no man than that he giveth his life for a friend. Well done good and faithful servant, enter thou into the joy of the lord'.
"George Levack seemed to us to have earned it all" (writes a Seaforth) "when he got the call and left the turmoil and strife of war and entered upon perfect peace.
"A great personality, he drew us to him, and the longer you knew him the greater became your love and respect for him. Deep and silent like all Celts; long in making friendships of the kind that are formed in the field of battle, once made his friendships were knit by bonds of steel; a more staunch, truer comrade there was not from Flanders to the Vosges. Brimful of pawky humour, typically Scottish, characteristically Celtic, he had a well packed store of old Highland folklore, song, and story, and when he turned on the tap to theotherwise tired, anxious, and weary, the night sped fast, and only afterwards did you realise the helpfulness of the part he had of forethought played.
"Professionally he was a very capable and sympathetic doctor, and a clever surgeon, with an extraordinary tender heart, sharpened by a genuine sympathy with suffering. Many a man was saved becoming an hospital case by Levack, and felt all the better for it. He hated sham, and no one who dared it once ever 'tried it on' with George. Conscientious to an extreme degree, he knew his duty, and did it under every circumstance, fearlessly and well.
"He had the Gaelic. It was a precious gift, and with it he touched ever so softly the tenderer chords in men as no one could have done without it. It was in him a magnetism this old world tongue, and because he was sincere and good the uses of it were manifold."

Date of Paper:  12.05.1916
Surname:  Lisle
First Name(s):  Louis
Rank:  Sergeant
Regiment:  Not stated
Home Address:  Ord Distillery, Muir Of Ord

Lisle, Sergt. Louis, 1561, was the older son of Mr and Mrs Lisle, Ord Distillery, Muir of Ord. He was 23 years of age, and was employed at the Ord Distillery previous to the war.

Date of Paper:  20.12.1918
Surname:  Little
First Name(s):  James
Rank:  Private
Regiment:  Royal Scots
Home Address:  Seaview, Lochcarron

Mrs Little, Seaview, Lochcarron, has recived intimation that her husband, Pte. Jas. Little, 1/9th Royal Scots, was killed in action on the 1st of August last during the heavy figting near Buzancy. In a letter from his Coy-Qr.-M. Sergt., it is stated that the losses of the Royal Scots were very heavy, but the sacrifices then made were largely responsible for the overwhelming success of Genral Mangin's attack. The letter is as follows:
"France 30/10/18.
"Dear Mrs Little - Your husband, Pte. Jas. Little, was killed on the 1st of August at a place near Buzancy, in the Soissons district. You may have read in the newspaper about the good work done there by our Division, which took the key position that made General Mangin's attack there so successful. Our own battalion had a very difficult task during the operations, and in the attack on 1st of August we lost very very heavily. In D Coy. alone we had 52 men killed. It will relieve you to know that your husband did not suffer. He was shot through the heart, and death was instantaneous. The task set the Company was well-nigh an impossible one, and the men were exposed to very heavy machine gun fire. They were all buried on the field, in a place well known, I believe, as the Quarry Cemetery, about 4 kilometres south of Buzancy. The French have erected a monument to the memory of the Scottish soldiers who fell there. It was a black day for the battalion, but the success of the operations was due in great part to the sacrifices made by the men. This is a very bald statement of the facts as I know them. Those of us who are still left with the Company sympathise with you in your bereavement.
"Pte. Little was a good soldier, and was well liked by his comrades. Most of his friends, indeed nearly all his platoon, were killed, and he himself had gone further forward than them all, only to make the supreme sacrifice in the end.
"I am, your sincerely, L. Y Wilson, C.-Q.-M. Sgt."

Date of Paper:  21.02.1919
Surname:  Logan
First Name(s):  A.
Rank:  Private
Regiment:  Canadians
Home Address:  Canada (formerly Acharn, Boath, Alness )

The photographs of two soldier sons of Mr Logan, Acharn, Boath, Alness, are reproduced today. A third son recently distinguished himself at a Canadian fire.
L./Corpl. Donald Logan (49652), M.G.C., who is 22 years of age, joined up on August 5th, 1914. He went overseas to the East in the Spring of 1915 and took part in the landing at Suvla Bay. Subsequent he moved to Egypt and Sinai and shared in the recent fighting at Jerusalem, where, as recently reported, he was wounded in action. L./Cpl. Logan was his father's only help on the farm.
Pte. A. Logan, Canadians, is 24 years of age. He joined up in January, 1916, and has been two years in France. He emigrated some years ago. He was a policeman for a time, but turned to farming.
Mr Logan has another son, Sergt. Thos. Logan, who is in the City Police Force, Regina, Sask., Canada. Recently Sergt. Logan greatly distinguished himself at a fire which broke out in Regina Winter Fair Buildings where 700 soldiers were housed. Sergt. Logan early detected the outbreak, and but for his prompt alarm and the practical steps he took, it was stated at the time, many lives would have been lost. Soldiers say that few of them would have escaped but for Sergt Logan's promptness.
The Canadian Press has published the photograph of this gallant Alness boy, given him the highest praise.

Date of Paper:  21.02.1919
Surname:  Logan
First Name(s):  Donald
Rank:  Lance Corporal
Regiment:  Machine Gun Corps
Home Address:  Acharn, Boath, Alness

Date of Paper:  21.02.1919
Surname:  Lumsden
First Name(s):  J.
Rank:  Cadet
Regiment:  Seaforth Highlanders
Home Address:  Balvaird, Muir of Ord

Cadet J. Lumsden, Seaforth Highlanders, of whom we reproduce a photograph, writes an interesting letter to his mother of a trip down the Nile during the Christmas recess in his Cadet School in Cairo. Cadet J. Lumsden is the son of Mr and Mrs J. Lumsden, Balvaird, Muir of Ord. He was educated at Muir of Ord and at the Dingwall Academy. At the outbreak of war he immediately enlisted in the Seaforth Highlanders, and, after training at Bedford, he proceeded with the battalion to France in November, 1914. He took part in the battle of Neuve Chapelle, where so many of the gallant sons of Ross fell, but he was not so fortunate at Festubert in May 1915. There he was severely wounded and sent to "Blighty". After spending six months in hospital he was able to report for further service. This time, on being declared fit, he was posted to the premier battalion of the Seaforths in the East. In both Mesopotamia and Palestine he saw much active service. Subsequently he was sent to a Cadet School in Cairo to prepare for a commission, and he was there when the Armistice was signed.
Coy. Sergt.-Major Lumsden, another son of Mr and Mrs Lumsden, has just returned from Germany, where he had been a prisoner of war for nine months.
In his letter home, Cadet Lumsden writes from Luxor as follows:- "I am having a few days hoilday - the time of my life - in this, one of the most interesting places in a country full of interest dating back for ages. We cadets are having a half-term holiday of seven days and I invested the little money I had to spare in a journey, the experiences of which I shall never forget not regret. Well, Luxor, where I am just now, is 450 miles south of Cairo, and we arrived after an all night train journey. The climate is altogther milder than it is in Cairo, where I left, it was decidedly chilly, especially at nights. We were met at Luxor station by a guide and the inevitable complement of native attendants, and a two horse buggy. We drove through the town to the Savoy Hotel, a fine building standing in its own grounds on the banks of the Nile. It is a lovely place, but the best bit is to see the sunset behind the hills away across the beautiful valley of the Nile, each feature lending its particular colour to the water of the river stretching from one's feet a distance of three-quarters of a mile to the other bank. The land on the banks of the river is cultivated with extreme diligence, water being supplied by countless irrigation canals and channels.
"I visited the Temple of Luxor (or Thebes), which dates from the 18th dynasty or 1400 to 1650 years before Christ. In it are contained statues of Rameses II, and his Queen, the father and mother of Pharaoh, who was drowned in the Red Sea in pursuit of the Children of Israel. The figures and hieroglyphics on the walls are simply marvellous, and we were fortunate in having a good guide, who explained things pretty clearly. I also visited the Temple of Kavnah with its 10 pylons and many colurmns, the whole covering 104 acres of ground. In one part of the temple alone there are 134 colums about 80 ft. high, and covered with the histories of their erectors. Truly the ancient Egyptians were a painstaking race, as these marvellous monuments show. At Kavnah there are two temples and two holy lakes, one for the men and boys to worship in, and one for the women folk. The holy lake was the scene of a funeral ceremony while we were there. The boat containing the coffin of a dead person was rowed seven times round the lake, then the coffin was laid before the Scaraph, or emblem of eternal life, being the body of a beetle carved in stone, and thence carried through the temple to the city of dead across the river. These people had two cities, one of the living on this, the eastern side of the river, the other of the dead on the western side. Connecting these two temples of Thebes and Kavnah there is an aveune of Sphinx 1 1/2 miles long, and along this the high priests make a procession once a year, with the sacred boats of the Trinity, the god of the morning sun, the goddess of the earth, and their son the god of the moon, and the ceremony included sacrifices and all the extras, including the burning of incense.
"Another day I crossed the river and had a 20 mile journey on donkeys, visiting the Tomb of the Kings, wonderful places right underneath hills of limestone. Every one of these tombs is beautifully inscribed in hieroglyphics and figures with the histories of each individual, giving accounts of the countries conquered, slaves taken, trees, cattle, gold, and other precious minerals brought back. In one there is still the embalmed bodies of 3 valets (2 women and 1 man) of a king, who died over 300 years ago. These valets were killed at his death, so as to attend to him on the other side. The hair of the women is still in good condition.
"The temples of Ramassion and Gurnah I also visited and two huge statues of the god Osiris and his goddess."

Return to home page
Terms & Conditions     © Ross and Cromarty Heritage