World War 1

World War One Collage

War Records 1914-18

Private D A Bain

Sergeant Hector Bain

Private Henry Bain

Seaman John Bain

Gunner John Bain, Gairloch, Royal Garrison Artillery

Sergeant David Ballantyne

Gunner Kenneth Ballantyne

Lieutenant Philip H Ballantyne

Sergeant Dugald Bannerman

Private Duncan Barron

Private John Barron

Lieutenant Thomas E Bartleman

2/Lieutenant F Beaton

Private Kenneth Beaton, MM

Private Robert Beaton

Lieutenant F S Russel Beedle, MC

Private G Albert Bentley

Trooper Farquhar Bethune

Private Finlay Bethune

Private Grigor Bethune

Piper Murdo Bethune

Private Roderick Bethune

Lieutenant A W Black

Private James Black

Lieutenant Miles Harry Blackwood

Lieutenant William T M Bolitho

Rev Edwin J Brechin

Sergeant T R Bremner

Seaman William Brodie

Lieutenant R W Brooke, MC

Lieutenant G M Bruce

Private William Bruce

Lance Corporal Frank Buckingham

Drummer A Burn

Surname B

Surname Forename(s) Rank Home Relationship
Bain D A Private Alness  
Bain Hector Sergeant Gairloch  
Bain Henry Private Dingwall Brothers 1
Bain John Seaman Dingwall  1
Bain John Gunner Gairloch  
Ballantyne David Sergeant  Australia
Brothers 2
Ballantyne Kenneth Gunner Portsmouth
Ballantyne Philip H Lieutenant Huddersfield  
Bannerman Dugald Sergeant Nigg  
Barron Duncan Private Muir of Ord Brothers 3
Barron John Private Muir of Ord  3
Bartleman Thomas E Lieutenant Edinburgh  
Beaton F 2/Lieutenant Gairloch  
Beaton Kenneth Private Cromarty  
Beaton Robert Private Aultbea  
Beedle F S Russel Lieutenant Lasswade  
Bentley G Albert Private Levenshulme  
Bethune Farquhar Trooper Delny Brothers 4
Bethune Finlay Private Delny  4
Bethune Grigor Private Delny  4
Bethune Murdo Piper Culbokie  
Bethune Roderick Private Delny  4
Black A W Lieutenant Alness  
Black James Private Evanton  
Blackwood Miles Lieutenant Not stated  
Bolitho William T M Lieutenant Penzance  
Brechin Edwin J Rev. Avoch  
Bremner T R Sergeant Cromarty  
Brodie William Seaman Avoch  
Brooke R W Lieutenant Fearn  
Bruce G M Lieutenant Lochluichart  
Bruce William Private Vancouver
Buckingham Frank L/Corporal Leeds  
Burn Drummer Alness  

Date of Paper:  01.06.1917
Surname:  Bain
First Name(s):  D. A.
Rank:  Private
Regiment:  Seaforths
Home Address:  Clunas Buildings, Alness

Private D. A. Bain, Seaforths (11466), son of Mrs Mackay, Clunas Buildings Alness, was wounded in the neck, left side and left knee on April 23. Pte Bain is a grandson of the late Mr Hugh Cameron, Davidston, Cromarty.  He is at present in Suffolk Hospital. Ipswich

Date of Paper.:  26.10.1917
Surname:  Bain
First Name(s):  Hector
Rank:  Sergeant
Regiment:  Seaforths
Home Address:  Opinan, Gairloch

A photograph appears to-day of the late Sergt. Hector Bain, Seaforths, son of Mr and Mrs Bain, Opinan, Gairloch, who was killed in action the 20th September. Twenty-two years of age, in civil life he was a fisherman. He served in the Ross-shire Territorials, mobilised in August, 1914, and went to France in November of that year with his battalion. "He was greatly admired by a very wide circle of acquaintances," writes a correspondent, "and held everywhere in high respect. His manly courage , straightforward action, endeared this young hero to all, and there is universal sympathy throughout Gairloch and as there will be among Gairloch people abroad, and particularly in Australia, with Mr and Mrs Bain in their sore bereavment."
Captain Ray Macdonald (Dingwall), in a letter to the parents, says: "On behalf of men and officers of No.3 Company, I wish to extend our sincere sympathy with you and all Hector's friends. He was, as usual, in the very front of the fray, leading his platoon alongside his officer, Mr Munro. When within a few yards of his objective he was hit by a German bomb and killed outright. He could not have suffered a moment of pain. I have known your son for a long time, and when he rejoined my company about six weeks ago I can tell you no N.C.O. was ever more welcomed. Hector was one of the finest soldiers I have ever seen. And the bravest too! We miss him fearfully. He is buried in a British cemetery near which he fell, and within the ground which he won for us with his life. It may comfort you to know it was only by the fine example of bravery and determination shown by your son and his comrades that we won the day. Though we lost a gallant and most competent N.C.O., he has left a splendid example to live up to."

Date of Paper:  03.01.1919
Surname:  Bain
First Name(s):  Henry
Rank:  Private
Regiment:  8th Canadians
Home Address:  Fluchlady, Dingwall

Today we publish the photographs of two sons of Mrs Colin Bain, Fluchlady, Dingwall, one of whom has made the supreme sacrifice while serving with the Forces in France. Pte. Henry Bain, A Coy, 8th Battalion (Winnipeg Rifles) went to France last year, and was only about four weeks there when he was killed. Lt Miller, writing to his mother, says: "While I was leading the platoon over to the left on the morning of the 8th Sept, we were under very heavy machine gun and shell fire, and it was shell fire which caught your son and several others just as we reached a comparatively safe place. He and four others were instantly killed, which in its suddenness and painlessness, is some slight consolation. He was buried in Haynecourt Cemetry the following day. The exact place where he fell is due north of Haynecourt, mile just to the right of the road leading into the main Douai, Cambrai road. Your son was a good lad, and died an honourable death fighting. Pte. Bain was 33 years of age, and emigrated to Canada about 7 years ago, where he engaged in farming. Well-known in Strathpeffer and Dingwall as a groom, he at one time was the driver of the four-in-hand excursion coach run from Strathpeffer. A singularly fine young man, a loyal friend and comrade, his death is greatly regretted by all who knew him.
His younger brother, Seaman John Bain, has been over two years serving with the Royal Navy, and has seen considerable service in the North Sea and in other waters. He is 23 years of age and was a plumber with Mr Dan. Mackenzie, Dingwall before enlisting.
In connection with the above notice, it is a sad coincidence that a brother of Mrs Bain, Pte. Alex. George Mackintosh, was killed on the same day in France as her son Henry. Pte. Mackintosh was also serving in the Canadians, and was 39 years of age. He was a blacksmith to trade, and served his apprenticeship at Marybank, Fairburn. Serving in the South African War with the Scottish Horse, he returned to this country and worked on his own account as a blacksmith at Conon-Bridge. He emigrated to Canada about ten years ago, and was in business in New York before enlisting.
Deceased leaves a young family, who are in charge of a sister, Mrs Rod. Davidson, 135 W., 67th Street, New York, U.S.A. His wife, who was a daughter of Mr and Mrs Urquhart, Arcan Cottage, Muir of Ord, died two years ago.

Date of Paper:  03.01.1919
Surname:  Bain
First Name(s):  John
Rank:  Seaman
Regiment:  Royal Navy
Home Address:  Fluchlady, Dingwall

In June 2018 Maureen Foster, grand-daughter of John Bain, Gairloch, sent a photograph and information.
She writes:  "Almost 100 years ago, on 11 June 1918, my Grandfather, John Bain, sailed from Cosham, Portsmouth, to take part in World War 1.  At 21 years of age, and almost certainly conscripted, he enlisted on 17 November 1917 and became a Gunner in the Royal Garrison Artillery 512 Siege Battery, although his regiment was broken up and he served in 32 Siege Battery.  His two older brothers, Donald Bain (Lovat Scouts) and James Bain (4th Bn. Seaforth Highlanders) had also seen action in the war.  All three survived."

Date of Paper:  19.05.1916
Surname:  Ballantyne
First Name(s):  David
Rank:  Sergeant
Regiment:  1st Australian Contingent
Home Address:  Australia, ex Beauly/Muir of Ord

Above we produce the photographs of two brothers from Muir of Ord who have given their lives for their King and country. They were two sons of Mr John Ballantyne, foreman surfaceman, Muir of Ord, who resides at Burnside Cottage, Ardnagrask, Beauly.
Sergt. David Ballantyne started life as a sailor, but was discharged as medically unfit. After a brief holiday at home he entered the mercantile service, and his duties took him all round the world. Four years ago he gave up the sea and set out for Australia, where he settled down near the goldfields at Wallaroo. He was one of the first to enlist at the outbreak of war, and he went with the first Contingent to Gallipoli, and fell as already stated on 15th May. Possessed of a loving and generous disposition, he was a great favourite with everyone he knew. He was 31 years of age.
Gunner Kenneth Ballantyne also started in the Navy, and so clever, and industrious, and persevering was he that he rose to the rank of chief gunner and a warrant officer. Like his brother, he has visited each hemisphere. He was on one of the ships which accompanied their Majesties on their Royal tour to India. For two years he was quartermaster on the British Ambassadorís yacht at Constantinople. He took part in the Heligoland Bight fight on the H.M.S. Edgar, from which he was transferred to the H.M.S. Viknor, only three weeks before she was lost. His body was washed ashore at Ballycastle, Ireland, from where it was conveyed to Portsmouth, where his wife and two children reside.  The funeral took place with full naval honours. He was 33 years of age.

Date of Paper:  19.05.1916
Surname:  Ballantyne
First Name(s):  Kenneth
Rank:  Gunner
Regiment:  Royal Navy
Home Address:  Portsmouth, ex Beauly/Muir of Ord

Date of Paper:  21.03.1919
Surname:  Ballantyne
First Name(s):  Philip Hugh
Rank:  Lieutenant
Regiment:  Seaforths
Home Address:  New Mill, Huddersfield

Lieut. Philip Hugh Ballantyne, 4th Sea.forths, killed in action on 28th October, 1918, was a son of the late Mr Ballantyne, headmaster of Zion Congregational School, Ripenden, and Mrs Ballantyne, School House, New Mill, Huddersfield. The late Lieut. Ballantyne at the outbreak of war was keenly anti-military, but when the reports of the atrocities were confirmed he enlisted at once to fight for the weak and oppressed. He joined as a private, and went to France early in November,1914, which entitled him to wear the Mons Star, and of which he was very proud. He was wounded at Neuve Chapelle in March, 1916, but recovered, and took part in the Festubert engagement in May. Subsequently he was recommended for a commission, and after training he was gazetted second-lieutenant in February, 1917, and for a second time he went to France in April of the same year. In September he had the misfortune to be wounded again, this time at Poelcapelle. Early in 1918 he was drafted to India, but was detained in Egypt till May, when he was ordered to return to England, and for a third time he went to France in May. During his military career he was through all the principal engagements with the exception of Messines Ridge and Cambrai, on both of which occasions he had been wounded, and was over in Blighty to recuperate. Just after four years of active service, invaluable to his country, he laid down his life near Valenciennes in the last great attack, which subsequently paralysed the Germans and made them sue for peace three weeks later.  His body lies in an honoured grave at Famars, near Valenciennes.
Educated at Heath Grammar School, of which he was a distinguished scholar, he proceeded to Oxford, where in 1909 he obtained 15th place in the senior examination, being 5th in Greek and 8th in Latin. Leaving Oxford he was serving with the Metropolitan Asylums Board, London, when war broke out. Deceased was one of four soldiers sons. His elder brother. Captain James Ballantyne, was with the West Yorks, a younger brother, Lance-Corpl. Noel Ballantyne, was with the 5th Seaforths, and the youngest, John, was a wireless operator with the R.A.F. The late Lieut. Ballantyne was proud of his regiment and the fact that he was one of the famous 51st Division.
In his last letter to his mother, written on 26th September, 1918, Lieut. Ballantyne, who was a writer of remarkable power, gives a graphic pen picture of the days when the Germans were on the run. He writes: "I landed back to the Battalion on Tuesday night, and was fortunate enough to find them just coming out of the line. We are now in reserve just behind the line, in country out of which the Boche was cleared only a few days ago. The villages here are quite respectable, the houses whole and quite comfortable, and billets quite decent. There are also a good number of civilians just liberated from a four yearsí domination of the Boche, and as yet they donít quite seem to realise their freedom. They were cowed, timid creatures when we first came here but are improved now and get a bit of life. They'd been kept in the cellar while the Boche held the house. He took away all their bedding and all the clothes they had except what they actually wore or what they concealed by burying in their gardens and elsewhere. He even took the food the American Commission supplied them with and gave them his own diluted and artificial stuff. He confined them to their own villages and imprisoned them if they left their boundaries without a pass. The woman in my house has not seen her husband for four years, and so far has heard no word of him since July. She ís living in hopes of him turning up on leave one of these days. They lived in terror of us officers during the first few days, but now are quite normal, and are only too keen to talk to us and tell us of their experiences. Its a rare sight to see our boys helping them wheeling barrows for refugees and helping the old people across rickety bridges constructed over the ruins of those the Boche blew up. Itís pitiful, too, to see the clamouring crowds of puny, thin white-faced kiddies who cluster around the cookers at food times. They have taken properly to porridge and throng in shoals around the remnants. The folks here are now even spirited enough to jeer at their late oppressors as they pass here as prisoners. The boys, too, cheer them up, and the band is always sure of getting a rare welcome."
In a letter to Mrs Ballantyne, the Colonel of her son's Battalion writes: "It has been conveyed to you the extremely sad news of your son's death. As your son's C.O., I must write and tell you what a great loss it has been to everyone in the Battalion, and convey the heartfelt sympathy of everyone here. Quite recently I took him from all the officers in the Battalion and appointed him Intelligence Officer. It was during his duties as such that he was killed. He was one of the very best officers we ever had in the Battalion, and it is difficult indeed to replace him. Always cheerful and as brave as any man could be, he was beloved by officers and men alike."

Date of Paper:  28.07.1916
Surname:  Bannerman
First Name(s):  Dugald
Rank:  Sergeant
Regiment:  Seaforth Highlanders
Home Address:  Pitcalnie, Nigg

8864 Sergeant Dugald Bannerman, 1st Seaforth Highlanders, who was killed in Mesopotamia on 22nd April, 1916, and of whom we reproduce a photograph, was the oldest son of Mrs Bannerman, Pitcalnie, Nigg. He was 32 years of age, and was a native of Fearn. An old Seaforth Highlander, he was in the Argentine when he heard the call in August 1914. He immediately came home and rejoined the regiment. He served in France and then went to the East.  He was killed instantly early in the assault of the night of 22nd April.
Three other members of the family are serving in the colours, one in the 3rd Camerons, one in the 4th Seaforths, and another with the Canadians.

Date of Paper:  14.06.1918 and 11.02.1916
Surname:  Barron
First Name(s):  Duncan
Rank:  Private
Regiment:  Seaforths
Home Address:  Ord Distillery, Muir of Ord

As briefly reported some time ago, Pte. Duncan Barron, Seaforths, was killed in action on the first day of the German offensive on March 21, 1918. He is the second son of Mr and Mrs James Barron, Ord Distillery, Muir of Ord, to make the supreme sacrifice, an elder son, Pte. John Barron, Seaforths, having been officially reported killed on 11th April, 1917, at the battle of Arras. Pte. Duncan Barron, who was 20 years of age, joined the Seaforths in 1916, and went to France in January, 1917. He had seen a great deal of fierce fighting in the great struggle, but hitherto seemed to bear a charmed life. In July last year, in one of the big battles, he was one of three men of his platoon to answer the roll call after the action. He was a fine soldiery fellow, with abounding enthusiasm in all his work, and no one ever undertook the duties of the Army with greater spirit and zest than he did, when the time came at which he was permitted by age to don the khaki and the tartans of his country regiment. Before the war, after a sound education at Tarradale School, Muir of Ord, he was an assistant with Mr James Maclean, merchant, Beauly, and was held in high esteem, not only by his employer, but by the community in which he served. Much loved, by his comrades in arms, respected by his officers, he is greatly mourned in his native district, where there is the deepest sympathy with a family thus doubly bereaved.

1493 Private John Barron, C (Black Isle) Coy., 1/4th Seaforths, is a son of Mr. and Mrs. Barron, Ord Distillery, Muir of Ord. He was one of the many Black Isle and Muir of Ord heroes who took part in the battle of Aubers Ridge on 9th May. He was severely wounded in the leg and was sent home to hospital. He arrived at Stobhill Infirmary, Glasgow, on 11th May, and latterly has been in a convalescent home in Renfrew. His wound has not yet healed, owing to an operation that had to be performed recently. His condition, however, is improving. Private Barron, who is 21 years of age, was employed as a gardener at Ord House, Muir of Ord, previous to the war.

Lance-Corpl. John Barron, Seaforths, who has now been officially reported killed in action, on 11th April, 1917, was the eldest son of Mr and Mrs Barron, Ord Distillery, Muir of Ord. Lce.-Cpl. Barron at the time of his death was one of the fast diminishing band of the 4th Seaforths that mobilised in August, 1914, and went to the front, the first regiment of the immortal Highland Territorial Division to leave its war station, in November. 14th. Lce.-Cpl. Barron was in the battles of Neuve Chapelle in March 1915, escaping scathless, and in the battle of Aubers Ridge on 9th April, 1915. In the latter engagement he was very severely wounded. In hospital at Stobhill Hospital, Glasgow, for 15 months, after several operations he recovered, and in November, 1916, he was back again in the line, in time for the Ancre. A fine type of young Highland soldier - he was only 23 years of age - he was a quiet, companionable, young fellow, much loved by all his comrades, and much mourned in his death.
A younger brother is serving in France. With the family sincere sympathy is felt, and in his home district, stricken by the devastations of war which has visited the hearts of so many people, Mr and Mrs Barron have the consolation of neighbours who know sorrow. In private life. Before the war, Lce-Cpl. Barron (whose photograph is reproduced today) was a gardener with Colonel Mackenzie of Ord, himself a soldier.

Date of Paper:  11.02.1916 and 14.06.16
Surname:  Barron
First Name(s):  John
Rank:  Private
Regiment:  Seaforths
Home Address:  Ord Distillery, Muir of Ord

Date of Paper:  05.10.1917
Surname:  Bartleman
First Name(s):  Thomas Edward
Rank:  Second Lieutenant
Regiment:  Seaforths
Home Address:  1 Merchiston Park, Edinburgh

In to-day's issue we reproduce the photograph of 2/Lieut. Thomas Edward Bartleman, Seaforths, who was killed in action. The deceased was the youngest son of Mr and Mrs James Bartleman, 1 Merchiston Park, Edinburgh. Twenty years of age, he was a pupil of George Watsonís College, and was at Edinburgh University, and in connection with the cadets of the former institution and the University O.T.C. he was a piper. He joined the Royal Scots in November, 1915, and was also a piper with them. He was gazetted in March last, and joined the Seaforths, and went to the front in June. His older brother, William, who was also in the Royal Scots, was killed in action in Gallipoli.  The deep sympathy of Seaforths goes out to the parents.

Date of Paper:  28.06.1918
Surname:  Beaton
First Name(s):  F.
Rank:  Second Lieutenant
Regiment:  M.G.C
Home Address:  Gairloch

2/Lt. F. Beaton, M.G.C., whose photo appears today, is the second son of Mr Duncan Beaton, the well-known Free Church elder at Gairloch. A Boer war veteran, having served 4 years in the Cape Mounted Police and taken part in the South African War, he joined Kitchener's Army at the outbreak of hostilities in 1914, and has, like many other famous Ross-shire officers, risen from the ranks. Lt. Beaton has shared in not a few of the big events since 1914 and his many friends here in the Highlands rejoice in his promotion. He is of the hardiest type of Highlander, and may go far in the profession of arms.  At present Lt. Beaton is in a camp in England.

Date of Paper:  23.03.1917
Surname:  Beaton
First Name(s):  Ken
Rank:  Private
Regiment:  Grenadier Guards
Home Address:  The Mains, Cromarty

Pte. Ken. Beaton, Grenadier Guards, a native of the Mains, Cromarty, has received the Military Medal for conspicuous bravery on the field.
The circumstances of the award are as follows:- A lieutenant, a sergeant, and Private Beaton, went out in the dark to reconnoitre, when they were observed by the Huns, who were placing machine guns near to the British first line trenches. The sergeant was shot dead, and the lieutenant seriously wounded. Nothing daunted, Pte. Beaton, seizing hold of the lieutenant, amidst a hail of bullets, managed to take him to the British line without himself getting a scratch.
Pte. Beaton was afterwards able to furnish valuable information about the position of the enemy guns to his commanding officer, and had the satisfaction afterwards of seeing them blown to atoms. Pte. Beaton has been in France for two years, and has come through several severe engagements.
Previous to joining up, Pte. Beaton was head of the indoor staff with the Duke of Westminster at Grosvenor House, London.
The father of Pte. Beaton has just recently received the long service medal from the Agricultural Society. He is in the service of Brigadier-General Ross of Cromarty, who is presently at the front on active service.

Date of Paper:  23.11.1917
Surname:  Beaton
First Name(s):  Robert
Rank:  Private
Regiment:  New Zealanders
Home Address:  Aultbea, Ross shire

As recently reported, official information has been received by Mr and Mrs John Beaton, Aultbea, Ross-shire, that their son, Pte. Robert Beaton, New Zealanders, was killed in action on October 4th. Deceased, whose photograph appears to-day, was thirty years of age. He had been in New Zealand for seven years, joined up two years ago, and he has been in France since September, 1916, where he had seen much fighting. Pte. Beaton was home on leave recently, and had been back to France just one week when he was killed.  Much sympathy is felt with the family in their sore bereavement.

Date of Paper:  31.01.1919
Surname:  Beedle
First Name(s):  F. S. Russel
Rank:  Lieutenant
Regiment:  Royal Scots
Home Address:  Dunedin, Broomieknowe, Lasswade, Midlothian.

We reproduce above a photograph of Lieut. F. S. Russel Beedle, M.C., Gordon Highlanders, a son of Lieut. F. S. Beedle, R.N., Dunedin, Broomieknowe, Lasswade, Midlothian, who is reported ìwounded and missingî on 11th April, 1918, and since then no news has been heard of him. A pupil of George Watsonís College, Edinburgh, he enlisted in the 9th Royal Scots, at the early age of 19. Subsequently he secured a commission and after training at Oxford, he was posted to the Gordon Highlanders, in March, 1917. In August of that year he was drafted to France, where he took part in much fighting. In the attack on Cambria in November, 1917 he did meritorious service, for which he was awarded the Military Cross. The official notice of the award states that he was given the M.C. for "conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty in an attack. When the leading waves were held up by an enemy machine gun and the whole attack was in danger of being delayed, he led his platoon forward, captured the gun and took the crew prisoners. Later he carried out a daring reconnaissance and also led a fighting patrol, obtaining valuable information. He showed splendid courage and initiative."
Subsequently he passed as a company commander and was immediately put in command of a company, taking his place in the firing line on March 27th, 1918. After the German attack on 21st March he returned to Headquarters on 30th March with the remnants of his company. On 9th April, after receiving reinforcements he again went into action and two days after he was wounded.
An officer comrade writing to the missing officer's mother - a daughter of Provost Grigor, Dingwall - states that the company was in the act of withdrawing while hotly pressed by the Germans, when he was shot through the legs. With assistance he was able to walk but he only went a short distance when he was again wounded in the back. "I'm finished, you go on with the company," were the last words received from him. Anyone who was in the vicinity of Guissemont, near the river Lawe in those terrible days, and came across the gallant officer, will earn the gratitude of his mother, by communicating with her.

Date of Paper:  13.12.1918
Surname:  Bentley
First Name(s):  G. Albert
Rank:  Private
Regiment:  Seaforths
Home Address:  Garden Village, Leverhume

A photograph appears to-day of a face long familiar to officers and the men of the 51st Division. Pte. G. Albert Bentley, Seaforths, killed in action on October 12th, 1918, as already reported, was one of the old school of 1/4th Seaforths whose death will be mourned by many of his old comrades, whose sympathy will go to his relatives, and particularly the eldest of his six sisters, Miss Annie Bentley, 18 South Avenue, Garden Village, Leverhume, Manchester. Both father and mother are dead. Pte. Bentley joined up on January 13, 1915, and went out to France with the second draft from Bedford in April of the same year, arriving in time to share in the bitter battle of Aubers on May 9th and 10th, when British artillery was scanty as things go today, and when the German machine guns were superior to anything the Allies then could muster. Throughout he shared the fortunes of the Seaforths, being twice wounded, first by a bomb explosion, early in the war, when the 1/4th Seaforths were in the Merville sector, and again at the Battle of Cambria in November last year, when many good men ìwent Westî.   When in a field hospital in France he freely gave a transfusion of his blood to help a comrade through an operation, and subsequently was sent to England to recuperate. He returned to France in April of this year when reserves were called for to meet the great emergency. He got back to the 51st Division, joining the 5th (Sutherland) Seaforths, and with this battalion he made his last fight against the Bosche.
Officers and men speak highly of Pte. Bentley. "A noble fellow; everything to the home," is a purely domestic and loving tribute to his memory. Old 4th Seaforths will remember him in the Somme battles of 1916 when he was servant to the late Lieut. Finch, who fell in the fight. Later on he was cook for the officers' mess, where his willingness to serve in whatever capacity won him many friendships. He shared in the November 1917 battles at Cambrai, and, as stated, was wounded then. The officers of the 5th Seaforths, when he rejoined, promptly appropriated his services and he was cook for them. Also Pte.Bentley actually spent four birthday anniversaries in the line - May 10, 1915,1916, 1917 and 1918, and each of them was marked by the crash of battle, Aubers Ridge in 1915 probably being the most desperate.   He was only 22 when the call came. Before the war he was an apprentice bookbinder at Longsight, near Manchester. In his home district he held the respect of the Burnage community, which was extended to the whole family. He was a keen member of the Boys' Brigade, 41st Manchester Co., associated with Burnage Congregation Church. The whole neighbourhood had a good word for him just as had his associates in the sterner work of war. Casualties at all times are sorrowful; in these last days of great tragedy of the Great War especially in the case of men of long and honourable service and many battles they have been hardest of all to bear for those left mourning.

Date of Paper:  23.02.1917
Surname:  Bethune
First Name(s):  Farquhar
Rank:  Trooper
Regiment:  107th Company, Imperial Yeomanry
Home Address:  Broomhill, Delny

The above are photographs of the brothers Bethune, sons of the late Mr Roderick Bethune, Broomill, Delny. The second son went through the Boer War with the Imperial Yeomanry, but has since died: other two have given their lives in the present European War, while another is still on service in France. It is men such as these that have made the Highlander famous in history. The survivors at home now are two sisters - Mrs James Fraser, Loanridge, Boath; and the youngest of the family, Miss Annie Bethune who resides in Glasgow. The particulars of the four boys make sad but interesting reading:
Trooper Farquhar Bethune, 107th Company, Imperial Yeomanry, enlisted when volunteers were called for in the South African campaign. He went through several of the more important engagements, and for his services he received the South African medal and three clasps. After returning home he migrated to America, and some years ago he died in hospital at St Louis. He was a big handsome type of Highlander, and quite fearless. He was 35.
Private Grigor Bethune, 26 years of age, was in Australia, where he went some years ago. When the war broke out he immediately volunteered, and formed one of the 1st Australian Contingent, which arrived in Egypt early in 1915. He subsequently took part in the Gallipoli campaign, including the landing at Suvla Bay. On the second day of landing he was slightly wounded, but recovered quickly. He remained at Gallipoli till the evacuation. He is now in France, and forms one of five men, the only representatives left of the original company which sailed from Melbourne.
Private Roderick Bethune, 24 years of age, was educated at Invergordon Academy. He always had a love for the sea, and he started as a seaman on a merchant vessel. By hard work and study he mastered his duties so rapidly and was so successful in his examinations that he very soon rose to the position of second mate on a well-known liner. When on a visit to New Zealand he transferred to another merchant ship, and he was in New Zealand when the war broke out in1914. Like his brother Grigor, he instantly offered his services, and he took his place in the 1st New Zealand Contingent, and also took part in the landing at Suvla Bay, but he was less fortunate than Grigor, and he fell on the 6th June, 1915 - a very promising career, nobly ended for King and country.
Private Findlay Bethune, in his 37th year, was in New Zealand, to where he had gone thirteen years ago, when he heard of his younger brotherís death. An engine driver to trade, he was working up country at a sawmill. He immediately threw up his job, and joined the New Zealand Forces. Anxious to get at the enemy he transferred to theAustralian Force, and came to England with a draft. He reached France last summer, and took part in the great advance in July. On 18th November, 1916, however, he was killed by a hand bomb, and he lies at rest on the shores of a foreign country.

Date of Paper:  23.02.1917
Surname:  Bethune
First Name(s):  Finlay
Rank:  Private
Regiment:  Australian Force
Home Address:  Broomhill, Delny

Date of Paper:  23.02.1917
Surname:  Bethune
First Name(s):  Grigor
Rank:  Private
Regiment:  1st Australian Contingent
Home Address:  Broomhill, Delny

Date of Paper:  23.02.1917
Surname:  Bethune
First Name(s):  Roderick
Rank:  Private
Regiment:  1st New Zealand Contingent
Home Address:  Broomhill, Delny

Date of Paper:  11.08.1916
Surname:  Bethune
First Name(s):  Murdo
Rank:  Piper
Regiment:  Royal Scots
Home Address:  Badrain, Culbokie

Mrs Bethune, Badrain, Culbokie, Conon Bridge, has received information from the officer commanding that her son, Piper Murdo Bethune, Royal Scots, was severely wounded in action on 2nd July,1916, and died of his wounds in hospital. Captain W. B. Robertson, Royal Scots, in a letter to Piper Bethune's wife, who with her two children resides meantime in Glasgow with her brother-in-law's family, says: "It is with sincere regret that I write to inform you of your husband's death. He took part in the great battle which now is - thanks to the self-sacrifice of so many - establishing our superiority over the enemy. In modern warfare there is little room for the fighting, but urgent need for carrying soldiers whose job is to follow closely on assaulting troops and to deliver at the furthest points reached, in the shortest possible time, stores of material, rations, water, etc. This is the great work your husband was doing - work which was done in face of danger, without the glamour and excitement which helps assaulting troops when in pursuit or contact with our unscrupulous enemy. Your husband was shot in the side and taken to hospital by a fellow piper. Unfortunately I have received word, not officially but thoroughly reliable, that his wounds proved fatal. Please accept my sincere sympathy and that of my brother officers in this your great loss. Pte. Bethune has helped to ensure a very high reputation for the battalion he joined. He was hit by machine gun fire, and when wounded his message was to you."
Subsequently Mrs Bethune received official confirmation of the death of her husband as described. A letter from Piper Philip to the widow is eloquent of a soldier's sympathy. Piper Bethune's grave will be carefully tended.
Piper Bethune was an old Seaforth, and when war broke out he joined the Royal Scots. He went through the South African War with the 2nd Seaforths, and took part in the battle of Magersfontein. After the war he got his discharge, and returned to civil life. He joined the Royal Scots (Macrae's Battalion), and, anxious to get back into the kilt, entered the band as a piper.
He is one of three sons of Mrs Bethune, Badrain, Culbokie, on service. Wm. Bethune is a driver in a machine gun company, and Mr Harry Bethune is first engineer on a Government transport.
The deepest sympathy is felt with Mrs Bethune and family and also with the bereaved widow of the deceased and her two young children.
A portrait of Piper Bethune appears in today's paper.

Date of Paper:  06.12.1918
Surname:  Black
First Name(s):  A. W.
Rank:  Lieutenant
Regiment:  Seaforths
Home Address:  Alness

Subject to his demobilisation, and with the approval of the Board of Agriculture for Scotland, Lt. A. W. Black, Seaforths has taken over the "command" of Craibstone Farm, Aberdeen, under the North of Scotland College of Agriculture, with the duty of supervising the training for agriculture of Discharged Demobilised Sailors and Soldiers. Lt. Black belongs to Ross-shire. He is not a Thurso man, as was stated, a week or two ago. He was born at Alness. His father, still well-remembered, was 27 years stationmaster there, and his grandfather, Mr Duncan Black, is still recalled as schoolmaster at Glenglass and an elder of the Free Church for half-a-century. Lt, Black was educated at Alness and Dingwall. Later he was employed under Colonel Cuthbert in Ardross estate offices.
Subsequently he passed into Aberdeen University and graduated B.Sc., specialising in agriculture. He joined the Collage staff and was engaged under Mr G. G. Esslemont in extension work. At the time of mobilisation, Lt. Black was organiser for the College in Sutherland and Caithness, where he became very popular and where his work was singularly effective. He joined up soon after the outbreak of war, selecting the 5th Seaforths for his unit, in which he reached commissioned rank. He has seen much service on the Western Front.
Assuming the technicalities of the discharge can be adjusted - a problem which Peace has done much to simplify, Lieut. Black will make an ideal head of the Craibstone Farm School. His practical knowledge of farming is all that it need be; his knowledge of small farming is first hand, his rare scientific attainments complete an edifice of accomplishment which is founded on rare natural gifts for organisation and keen perception of the psychology of men. He knows just what his students had best know to fit them for the land, and has the wisdom in giving them an all-round outlook not to "over-engine the vessel for all its beam", to adopt a smile from another sphere.
Ross-shire men in particular will hope the appointment carries through, and those who aim at settling on the land will feel their luck is in if they are fortunate enough to secure enrolment in Lieut. Black's company. Lt. Black's aunt, Mrs Holm, resides at Viewhill, Alness.  Lt. Black took up duty at Aberdeen last week; probably for good.

Date of Paper:  18.05.1917
Surname:  Black
First Name(s):  James
Rank:  Private
Regiment:  Seaforths
Home Address:  Camden Street, Evanton

Pte. James Black, Seaforths, who was killed in action on the 9th April, belonged to Evanton, where his mother resides at Camden St. The following is a copy of a letter received by the mother from the company officer:
"It is with the greatest sorrow and regret that I write to tell you of the death of your son, James Black, who was killed in action on the 9th April. The lad had been my personal orderly for close on two years, ever since I joined the battalion in France, and the fact of his death has caused me the greatest sorrow. He was known to everybody in the battalion, and had won the respect of all his comrades. No mark was found on his body, and the only conclusion we can come to is that he was killed by shell concussion. By his death I have lost a personal friend, and his care and attention to me at all times will never be forgotten. Officers and men alike join with me in offering you their heartfelt sympathy.
Yours sincerely,  J. R. Black, Capt."
Pte. Black was about 20 years of age and was a gardener at Balconie Castle before joining the Army. Deceased was a general favourite at home and at the front, and there is much sympathy with his mother.  A photograph appears in to-dayís paper.

Date of Paper:  21.07.1911
Surname:  Blackwood
First Name(s):  Miles Harry
Rank:  Lieutenant
Regiment:  Seaforth Highlanders
Home Address:  Not stated

The above is a portrait of Lieut. Miles Harry Blackwood, Seaforth Highlanders, whom we reported last week as having been killed in France on the 1st inst., while gallantly leading his men. Only 19 years of age, and educated at Harrow, he joined the Royal Fusiliers at the outbreak of the War straight from school, and after serving with them at Dover for a year, he went through Sandhurst, and obtained a regular commission in the Seaforths, with whom he served at Nigg and Cromarty until the 1st June, when he joined his battalion in France.
A most promising and very popular young officer, he was the only son of Captain and Mrs Harry Blackwood (the former now serving in Egypt), a grandson of Mr Mackenzie of Farr and a nephew of Mrs Davidson of Tulloch, to all of whom, as well as his many friends, his death will come as a severe blow.

Date of Paper:  04.06.1915
Surname:  Bolitho
First Name(s):  William Torquil Macleod
Rank:  Lieutenant
Regiment:  19th Hussars
Home Address:  York House, Penzance

Lieutenant William Torquil Macleod Bolitho, 19th Hussars, who was killed in action near Ypres on May 24th, was the elder and only surviving son of Mr W. E. T. Bolitho and Mrs E. G. Bolitho, York House, Penzance, and nephew of Captain Macleod of Cadboll. He was educated at Warren Hill School, Eastbourne, passing from there into the Royal Naval College at Osborne, and then into the Royal Naval College, Dartmouth, leaving head of each college. He then joined the cadet cruiser H.M.S. Cumberland, and passed out first, taking all three prizes, as many as were allowed for one boy. He then served in H.M.S. Commonwealth,   H.M.S. Cochrane, and H.M.S. Bellerophon. As midshipman in the latter ship he won the Stoddart cup for boat-sailing for his ship, presented by Admiral Sir John Jellicoe, K.C.B., K.C.V.O. He left the Navy in 1912, passing into the Army, through the Special Reserve, and joining the 19th Hussars on 23rd June 1913, at Hounslow.
On August 23rd, 1914, he crossed to France with B Squadron, acting as divisional cavalry for the first part of the war; but in April the cavalry were reformed, and the regiment made up with the 9th Cavalry Brigade, 1st Cavalry Division. He met his death moving with B Squadron under heavy shell fire up to support the 18th Hussars, who were in trouble. Both the 18th Hussars and the 19th Hussars had been ìgassedî at dawn. The only two officers with the squadron were knocked out, but Captain Francis, the other, being wounded only. 
His commanding officer writes: "Your son is a great loss to us. His name had been sent in for special mention after the operations on the 13th inst, when he found himself temporary in command of the squadron, and made very good use of his opportunity."

Date of Paper:  18.01.1918
Surname:  Brechin
First Name(s):  Edwin J.
Rank:  Rev.
Home Address:  Avoch

At the end of last March the Rev. Edwin J. Brechin, B.D., minister of Avoch, left for France to take up work in connection with the Scottish Churches' Huts, which is now one of the best known organisations working with the troops in the great base camps. For the first four months Mr Brechin had charge of the "Glasgow Huts," one of the largest huts owned by the Committee, since then he has acted as general superintendent of the part of the work under the care of the Church of Scotland. Mr Brechin's knowledge of France, and of the French language, well fit him for such an appointment. His long stay in Paris, as minister of the Scottish Church has also helped him to form a numerous circle of acquaintances, a very useful thing to one in the position he now occupies.
The Committee are at present considering wide extensions of their work both in the North and in the South of France, they are also consulting with the officials on the spot as to beginning work among the members of the W.A.A.C. This work demands delicate handling, and the Committee is fortunate in having one with such wide experience as their superintendent at the present moment, when these negotiations are in progress.

Date of Paper:  10.05.1918
Surname:  Bremner
First Name(s):  T. R.
Rank:  Sergeant
Regiment:  Seaforths
Home Address:  Allerton Farm, Cromarty

A photo appears today of Sergt. T. R. Bremner, Seaforths, whose wife resides at Allerton Farm, Cromarty, and who, before rejoining worked on farms in the neighbourhood of Dingwall. Sgt. Bremner was a 2nd Seaforth, and went through the South African war with his unit. He joined up on 4th August, 1914, and went to France in November following.   Subsequently he was invalided home, and later on posted to his Reserve Depot in the North, where he remained for over a year, returning to France in June, 1916. His medical grade unfitted him for the line, and he was posted to a Labour Battalion, where he served for a lengthened period, eventually being invalided again to Wibbersley Red Cross Hospital, Flixton, near Manchester, from whence he has been transferred for an operation.  He is progressing slowly. Before enlisting in the Seaforths in 1899, Sergt. Bremner was engaged at Newcastle and Gateshead Gas Co.  For a time he was a sawmiller with Messrs Macdonald & Sons, Inverness

Date of Paper:  27.07.1917
Surname:  Brodie
First Name(s):  William
Rank:  Seaman Gunner
Regiment:  Royal Navy
Home Address:  7 Margaret Street, Avoch

Seaman Gunner William Brodie, 7 Margaret Street, Avoch, has made the supreme sacrifice for King and country. While homeward bound form the Mediterranean to Cardiff his ship was torpedoed by an enemy submarine without any warning. Gunner Brodie joined up at the beginning of hostilities, and, although only a youth of 21 years, had many thrilling experiences, and among them the fall of Antwerp. He was a bright, intelligent lad; much respected by his captain and men of his ship.
He was a son of Mr William Brodie, Avoch, who has another two sons serving in H.M.S ships, while he himself is also serving in Admiralty works in the North. Much regret is felt at his early death.  A photograph appears to-day.

Date of Paper:  27.10.1916
Surname:  Brooke
First Name(s):  R. W.
Rank:  Lieutenant
Regiment:  Queen's Own Yorkshire Dragoons
Home Address:  Midfearn Cottage, Fearn, Ross-shire

Lieut. R. W. Brooke, awarded the Military Cross for work done at Headquarters of the 17th Division, at that time quartered near Ypres, is the son of Mr J. A. Brooke, Midfearn and Fernay Hall, Huddersfield, Yorkshire. Lieut. R. W. Brooke has served in the Queen's Own Yorkshire Dragoons (Yeomanry) for 10 years, and mobilised on August 5th, 1914. In July 1915, that regiment went out to France. In December, 1915, Lieut. R. W. Brooke held a temporary appointment on the Staff of the 17th Division, and during that time experienced "gas" to a slight extent, but soon recovered from the attack. In the end of May Lieut. R. W. Brooke (temp. Capt.) was awarded the Military Cross, but has not yet been invested with it.   He now holds a permanent staff appointment. Lieut. R. W. Brooke was born at Fernay Hall, Huddersfield, Yorks, on August 10th 1885. Although a Yorkshireman by birth, he was brought up with as much Highland tradition as Yorkshire, for he spent every summer of his life in Scotland, first at Morvich Lodge, Sutherland, which was then in the hands of his grandfather, Major Weston, and later at Fearn Lodge.
He lives entirely at Midfearn Cottage, and farms Easter Fearn. Educated at Repton, he later studied abroad. The people of Easter Ross are proud of Lieut. Brooke, of whom a portrait appears above.

Date of Paper:  07.03.1919
Surname:  Bruce
First Name(s):  G. M.
Rank:  Lieutenant
Regiment:  Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders
Home Address:  Lochluichart

The late Lieut. G. M. Bruce, Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, elder son of Rev. George Bruce, Lochluichart, was born at Sabathu, Punjab, on 18th November, 1897. He was educated at George Watsonís College, Edinburgh, and was for three years a cadet in the school battalion of the O.T.C. He was still a schoolboy of 16 when war broke out, and when he reached his 17th birthday he applied for a commission in a Highland regiment. In March, 1915, he was appointed second-lieutenant in the 4th Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders (SR of O), and sent to Withno. Having obtained first-class certificates in the Musketry and Hotchkiss Gun courses, he was sent to France in September, 1916, attached to the 1st Camerons, with whom he took part in the battle of the Somme. In July, 1917, he was promoted lieutenant, and the same year he rejoined his own regiment, the 11th Battalion Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, and was appointed bombing instructor at Rouen. Early in 1918, he was given six months home duty and was sent to Ireland, but was recalled to France after three months. Meantime the 11th A.&.S.H. had been amalgamated with the 8th Battalion owing to casualties. He was in the 8th Battalion when he volunteered for the New Army of Occupation, but succumbed to influenza and pneumonia on 17th February, aged 21.   The photograph reproduced above was taken at Rouen in 1917.

Date of Paper:  19.04.1918
Surname:  Bruce
First Name(s):  William
Rank:  Private
Regiment:  Seaforths
Home Address:  Moss Road, Tain

According to the casualty list (says a Canadian contemporary) another of the few remaining members of the brave little band of Seaforth Highlanders who left Vancouver in August, 1914, has given up his life for his country in France. This time it is the name of Pte. Wm. Bruce which appeared as having died in France on February 6th. Pte. Wm. Bruce, who was of Scottish descent, enlisted shortly after war broke out, and left Vancouver with the first draft from the 72nd Seaforth Highlanders. With the exception of a year spent in England while convalescing from severe wounds, he had been in France continuously since the first contingent crossed.
Pte. Bruce fought with his regiment in all the famous battles in which the Canadian Scottish took part, while he was shot through at Hill 60 in May, 1916. Instead of accepting his discharge he preferred to return to France, and was sent back with the Forestry Corps. In November, 1917, he met with an accident as a result of a collision between a train and a forestry motor lorry, and was in hospital in France for several weeks. He partially recovered, and was back at duty when his last letter was received. Being anxious to be back in camp, it is thought that Pte. Bruce left the hospital too soon, and, being in a weakened condition, as result of his severe wounds and strenuous experiences, succumbed to illness. Pte. Bruce leaves one sister in Vancouver, Mrs. J. R. Mackenzie, and one Mrs Boyd, who is at present working in an airplane factory in Glasgow, her husband, Capt. A. M. Boyd, also being in France.
His eldest brother, Donald, gave up his life in the South African War:
Another brother, Sergeant Robt. Bruce, is still on active service, although he also was severely wounded. His third brother, Hugh was invalided home to Vancouver with complications and shell shock. Like other men of the 1st Contingent, Pte. Bruce has fought faithfully for his country for nearly three years without a murmur or complaint, and, in reply to a question asked him by his sister in one of her letters as to why he did not accept promotions offered to him, he replied that he preferred ìto do his bit for his country as a plain   The late Pte. Bruce was the youngest son of the late Mr Robt. Bruce, Moss Road, Tain, and he was well known in the Royal Burgh seventeen years ago. Many Tain people will regret the death of such a gallant, plucky soldier, the story of whose endurance and determination to "stick it" as told by a Canadian contemporary, deserves preservation in Ross-shire's records of the Great War.

Date of Paper:  19.11.1915
Surname:  Buckingham
First Name(s):  Frank
Rank:  Lance-Corporal
Regiment:  1/4th Seaforths
Home Address:  23 Harehills Terrace, Leeds

3604 Lance-Corporal Frank Buckingham, 1/4th Seaforths, who was dangerously wounded during active operations in France on the 13th October, passed quietly away while unconscious on the 16th October. His commanding officer, Lieut.-Colonel Cuthbert, D.S.O., wrote to his mother, who resides at 23 Harehills Terrace, Leeds, "that her lad did his duty well, and it was while performing his duty in the firing line that he was shot through the head by an enemy bullet."
Lance-Corporal Buckingham enlisted at Leeds in the 3/4th Seaforths on the 29th April last, and was in training at Fort George up to nine weeks ago, when he went out to the front. At the time of enlistment he was about 17 years of age and his early education was received at Bradford, where he won a scholarship at Belle Vue Secondary School. He was of a bright and cheerful disposition, and highly esteemed amongst a large circle of friends in Leeds and Bradford. He offered his services cheerfully and willingly to serve his King and country, and no laddie could have been prouder of his regiment than this Leeds lad.
Much sympathy is felt for his father and mother and other members of the family in this heavy blow, and the hope is expressed that the death of this gallant young soldier may be an inspiration to many young men to come forward and offer their services in this hour of their country's need.
It may be mentioned that Lance-Corporal Buckingham's father is serving with the Army Service Corps, and was for some months at the Dardanelles. A brother who tried several times to join an infantry regiment has been recently accepted for the Army Service Corps, and is at present at Aldershot.  In addition, three of his father's brothers are serving with the colours

Date of Paper:  10.8.1917
Surname:  Burn
First Name(s):   A
Rank:  Drummer
Regiment:  Seaforths
Home Address:  Alness

A photograph is reproduced of 200227 Drummer A. Burn, Seaforths, son of Mr Burn, stationer, Alness. A member of Alness Company, he mobilised with the battalion in August 1914, and although just 16 years of age, proceeded to France in November, 1914. Drummer Burn served in the trenches in the first winter of the war, and was wounded in Neuve Chapelle in March, 1915. He was sent back to England, joining up the Reserve Seaforths, and is meantime serving with them somewhere in England. Drummer Burn, who celebrated his 19th birthday yesterday (August 9th) has crowded into the last three years what would be a lifetime's experience to many.

Return to home page
Terms & Conditions     © Ross and Cromarty Heritage