Ross and Cromarty Tourism Sites

Inverewe Gardens




Inverewe House within the garden


The gardens  at Poolewe were created in the 19th century by Osgood Mackenzie. The area covers approximately 20 hectares and contains many exotic plants within a woodland. The National Trust for Scotland now maintains the garden and current Inverewe house built in 1937.

 


Looking down on the walled garden

The Storehouse of Foulis and Girnal

 
The Storehouse of Foulis, situated on the A9 north of the Cromarty Firth road bridge and approximately two miles from the village of Evanton, comprises a replica of the original ferryman's cottage (now a restaurant and farm shop) and the adjacent girnal, or grain store, where tenants of the surrounding estates brought their grain for storage prior to shipment to ports such as Leith. The girnal now houses a multi-media exhibition about Clan Munro, its people and its lands - an appropriate location since Foulis Castle, the historic private home of successive Chiefs of Clan Munro, is nearby.
 

Click on link below for more information:

 

The Storehouse of Foulis




Terms & Conditions     © Ross and Cromarty Heritage