Tain Social - Sports

Tain Community Collage

St. DUTHUS BOWLING CLUB  
       

Tain Indoor Bowling
   

 

The club was established on 21 June 1906. Turf for the green was taken from Morrich Mhor, and the original clubhouse, still in use, and boundary fence were built with wood supplied free by Count de Sierra Largo of Tarlogie. The Opening Ceremony was performed by Mrs Fowler of Mansfield, wife of the town's Provost, who was Club President and a leading light in establishing the club. The club was also indebted to Invergordon Bowling Club for their assistance in getting established and for providing bowlers for the Opening Day.
 
st. Duthus Bowling Club Plaque 1906
Today the club continues to thrive, providing modern facilities for outdoor and short mat indoor bowling. It is affiliated to the Scottish, Scottish Women's and Northern Counties Bowling Associations, and the Northern, Northern Women's and Black Isle Indoor Bowling Leagues. Club members have enjoyed much success in competitions run by all these organisations.
 
Club contact: Mrs Margaret Farmer, Snowberry Cottage, Loandhu, Fearn.

(N.B. The address above was entered on the page in 2001 and is probably no longer current. It has been kept for reference purposes only. RCHS 2019)
St. Duthus Bowling Club plaque dated 1906 An important measure in earlier times
 
Mrs Fowler throws the opening bowl
Mrs Fowler throws the opening bowl  An important measure in earlier times
   
St Duthus Bowling green, May 2001 The original clubhouse alongside the modern greenkeeper's shed
St Duthus Bowling green, May 2001 The original clubhouse alongside the modern greenkeeper's shed
   
The clubhouse extension which can cater for indoor bowling and social functions. Hamish Swanson throws the opening bowl of the 2001 season
The clubhouse extension which can cater for indoor bowling & social functions. Hamish Swanson throws the opening bowl of the 2001 season
   




Contents Previous Page Next Page

Terms & Conditions     © Ross and Cromarty Heritage