Strathpeffer Social

The Social Life of Strathpeffer

Royal British Legion

The Strathpeffer Branch of the Royal British Legion was founded in the 1930s. By 1946 there were 81 members. The Chairman at that time was W. H. Fraser and the Honorary Treasurer was A. Barnie, the local Chemist. A year later in 1947 the Chairman was Mr. Munro and the Secretary of the Branch W. J. L. Mackenzie. In 1949 Major E. W. Whitelaw became the Honorary President , the Chairman being W. Smith of Contin and the Secretary was T. S. Henderson. The Vice-Chairman during this period was Mr. A. Macleod, who later took over the post of Chairman.

In 1951 Major General H. Macdonald, C.B., presented the King's Colour and Branch Standard in the Parish Church at the dedication of the standards from ten different branches. The Branch Chairman was Lt. Col. O. E. B. Macleod.

During the 1960s Mr. Fred Hoare and Mr. W. Watts alternated as Chairman. After Fred Hoare's death in the 1980s, Bill Watts continued as Chairman, supported first of all by Iain Nicolson as Treasurer-Secretary and then by Walter Chaloner. Lt. Col. Murdo Macdonald succeeded Bill Watts. The present Chairman is Mr. Hamish Galbraith and the Treasurer-Secretary is Peter Rathbone.

The late Rory, Earl of Cromartie acted as Honorary President for many years. He has now been succeeded by Captain R.W. K. Stirling.

The Victory Hall acted as the Branch's Headquarters for many years but recently meetings have been held in the Strathpeffer Hotel.

The membership for the year 1999-2000 is around thirty. Part of the duties of the Branch is the attendance with the Standards at Remembrance Day Service and also raising around £1000 annually for the Earl Haig Fund. The Branch's Annual Dinner is held in the Strathpeffer Hotel as part of the Fund Raising Events.

Return to home page
Terms & Conditions     © Ross and Cromarty Heritage