Strathpeffer Environment

Strathpeffer Community Collage


The Peffery Way logo showing how the route will follow under the slope of Knockfarrel.


The Friendship Stone     Click to view

The Peffery Way

The Peffery Way Association has been established with the aim of creating a low level foot/cycle path link between Strathpeffer and Dingwall using the disused railway line as much as possible.

Already the Association has done some work on the former railway line using volunteer labour to remove vegetation, scrub trees, etc.

To complete the full route between Strathpeffer and Dingwall it is estimated that the cost will be of the order of £750,000.

Those interested in helping in a practical way, with fund-raising, or donating, should visit the webpage www.pefferywayassociation.scot
or email  info@pefferywayassociation.scot 

In September 2020 the Peffery Way Association launched an appeal for funding to help complete part of the route which links two of the previously built sections.  Earlier in 2020, the area in question, a 350m section running over undulating ground on a steep slope beside the operational railway, had been laid with basic foundations, but PWA requires to raise £10,000 to complete the surface with a top layer of stone and whin dust, all before winter sets in.



In October 2018, as part of Highland Council's archaeology fortnight, members of the public were able to see the mile of pathway already constructed by the Peffery Way Association, with appropriate explanations from the volunteers.


Looking towards the end of the one mile of construction.


As far as it goes by October 2018.

Phase 2 of the 6km project centres on a 5km section and depends on successful grant applications for £150,000 of the estimated £200,000 required for the next section.


An explanation of the work so far.


The way back to Strathpeffer Old Station.


Passing one of the bridges faithfully reconstructed.  [All photos RCHS]





1 January 2019 - as far as it goes.  A bridge awaited.


1 January 2019 - Knockfarrel in background.


The bridge supports awaiting decking.




Looking towards 'the Heights'.


5 January 2019.  The bushes have been burnt and part of the next phase is visible.




Photos above are RCHS.


The replacement as seen on New Year's Day 1 January 2020.


The plaque honouring "Murdo" reveals that this is now named "Murdo's Bridge" (in Gaelic 
Drochaid Mhurchaidh) and the passer-by is urged, in Gaelic and in English, to Walk with the trees and the flowers, the bees and the birds and leave no sign.  Bridge built by volunteers of the Peffery Way Association, May 2019.


At the end of the platform at the Old Station is the start of the Peffery Way (on right) with Knockfarrel in the distance.  [Photo:  Jane Dewar]


Looking across to Achterneed from the Peffery Way.  [Photo:  Jane Dewar]





A New Year's Day walk on 1 January 2020 gave some members of the Wednesday Walking Group an opportunity to admire Murdo's Bridge (some are camera-shy!).


Following the walk, the group returned to the Old Station where there was opportunity to have coffee and Christmas leftovers.


Brenda and Jerry Brown.  An admirable aspect of the Peffery Way is that anyone using a mobility scooter is not disadvantaged.
[Above photos of  1 January 2020:  RCHS]

Then, on 4 January 2020, the Peffery Way Association held their post-New Year walk.  A group of approximately 50 people enjoyed this, although misty weather prevailed.  The group set off from Fodderty Cemetery and joined the track (which a local resident described as "the coffin road") leading to the restored section from Fodderty to Dingwall.


Photograph taken on the return journey showing the bridge on the "coffin road" under which ran the former railway and now the Peffery Way.  [See information below.]


Again on the return journey, the track leading to Dingwall going past Knockbain Farm.


A mist-shrouded Knockfarrel in the distance.
[Above photos RCHS]


Plaque on the bridge over the former railway line, at Fodderty, detailing the history of the line as shown below.  The bridge carries the rough track which locals say was known as "the coffin road"  and seems entirely possible as the track connects the Lochussie/Knockbain area with Fodderty cemetery.  [Photo RCHS]

Dingwall to Strathpeffer Railway

This bridge was constructed in 1884 over the Strathpeffer branch of the Dingwall and Skye Railway.  The railway was originally intended as the route of the main line to Kyle of Lochalsh but opposition from Coul Estate made it necessary to build the line from Fodderty to Achterneed and Raven Rock.

Achterneed was the station that served Strathpeffer until this branch line was built.   The coming of the railway age was a great benefit to the village, so much so that in 1908 it was possible to travel to Strathpeffer from London in a sleeping carriage which was attached to the overnight train.  July 1911 marked the start of the Strathpeffer Spa Express from Aviemore usually hauled by a large  "Loch Class" locomotive.  Local services ran from Dingwall hauled by steam locomotives such as the Highland railway 0-4-4 "Strathpeffer", 4-4-0 "Munlochy" and occasionally the 1920s Sentinal steam railcar no 4749.

Sadly the line did not survive long after World War II and train services declined from 12 trains per day in each direction to a single train running on Saturday only and the line was closed to passenger trains in 1946 and to goods traffic in 1951.

The large field to the west of this bridge was laid out with sidings in WW2 for the storage of anti-shiping mines.  The remains of the brick guard room are to be seen in the next field.

Knockbain Farm has carried out a partial restoration of the track bed to form a new low level footpath which connects this location with Dingwall, 3 kms from here.  To reach Dingwall by this route, walk up the track towards Dingwall and follow the waymarked route which ends at Knockbain Road.  There are some items of original railway architecture to be seen along the route including this bridge, cast iron fence strainers, original oak fence posts with 19th Century braided wire and the remains of the old railway cottage at Fodderty junction.

At the moment the restored trackbed only reaches westward to Blairninich Croft.  To walk to Strathpeffer it is best to ascend the path to Knockfarrel and follow signs to the village.

We hope you enjoy using this path and others in the area.

Path comments, text 07736 629838

Photo courtesy of Peffery Way Association.
Terms & Conditions     © Ross and Cromarty Heritage