Resolis Places

Resolis Community Collage
Professor W J Watson's Place Names of Ross and Cromarty

 Place Names of Kirkmichael Parish


This extract was taken, with the permission of the Trustees, from Prof. W.J. Watson's Place Names of Ross and Cromarty. 

Place Names of Ross and Cromarty p120 onwards

Resolis
G. Ruigh-sholuis, slope of light, or bright slope. In 1662 the Connissioners for the plantation of Kirks united the parishes of Cullicudden and Kirkmichael into one parish church, to be called the Parish Church of Kirkmichael, and to be built at Reisolace. As the site of the parish church has not been shifted since, it is clear that the name Resolis originally applied only to that slope on which he church now stands, a spot with a bright south-easterly exposure. The New Stat. Acc. Written by Rev. Donald Sage in 1836, records that Resolis rather then Kirkmichael was then the name in popular usage. It has now practically become the official designation also.

Cullicudden included the western portion of the united parish. In addition to the early mention of it noted below, it appears as Cultudyn in 1275 among the churches taxed by the Holy See for relief of the Holy Land. The church was dedicated to St Martin of Tours, and the name of the parish in Gaelic was regularly Sgire Mhartuinn. Hence such names as Kilmartin (where the old church of Cullicudden stood, with its burying-ground), Achmartin, St Martins. In 1641 Charles I. granted to Inverness the fair of 10th November, "quhik was haldin of auld at Sanct Martenis Kirk in Ardmannoche now lyand waist".
Kirkmichael is the eastern portion of the united parish. The church was known in Gaelic as Cill Mhicheil, and the parish itself as Sgire Mhicheil. The site of the church was at the east end of the parish, close to the firth ; and Hugh Miller, in his "Scenes and Legends," gives a wild legend bearing on its churchyard. The same legend is current with regard to the churchyards of Dalarossie and of Petty, In Inverness-shire.
Culbo
Eistir Culbo 1557, Eistir and Wastir Culboll 1560 ; G. Curabol ; from Norse 'kula,' a ball or knob, and 'bol,' a farm-stead. Kula is applied in place-names to a rounded hill ; cf. de Kool o' Fladabister in Shetland (Jacobsen). Gaelic 'r' is due to dissimilation.
Balblair
Belblair 1551, Eistir Bellblair 1557 ; G. Bail a bhlair, town of the plain.
Kinbeachy; Kynbarch 1561-66, Kinbeachie 1565-71 ; G. Cinn a' bheathchaidh, head of the birch wood (beitheach). Cf. Kinveachy, Aviemore. It is to be taken in connection with
Birkis 1551 ; G. a Bheithearnaich, still known as 'The Birks' ; beith-ar-n-aich ; for the formation cf. Muc-ar-n-aich, from 'muc,' pig ; preas-ar-n-ach, from 'preas,' bush ; etc.
Drumcudyn; Drumcudyn 1528 and 1546 ; Drumcudden 1458 ; G. Druimchundainn, also Cullicudden
Culicuden 1227; G. Cuil a' chudainn, or, as avariant according to the New. Stat. Acc., 'Coull a Chuddegin'. The N.S.A. makes it "the Cuddie Creek; that species of fish being formerly, though not now, caught in great abundance in a small creek on the shore of Cullicudden, and a little to the west of the old church". G. 'cudainn,' or 'cudaig,' a cuddy.
Braelangwell
Braelangwell 1577; a hybrid ; G. 'braigh,' an up-land, and Norse 'langvollr,' long-field. There is Langwell in Strathcarron ; also Langwell, Oykell.
Balliskilly; Bowsjaly 1551, Ballaiskaille 1580 ; G. Baile sgeulaidh, story-town, or town of the story-teller.
Brae
Brey 1533 ; town of Braire c. 1560 ; 'braigh,' up-land.
Woodhead; The Wodheid c. 1560 ; near it is am Bard Gobhlach, the forked meadow.
Castle Craig
Craighouse c. 1560 ; G. Tigh na creige.
Tighninnich
Tawninich (Blaeu), east of Balblair ; G. Tigh 'n aonaich, town of the market ; there was a market at Jemimaville until recent times.
Badgrinan
Copse of the sunny hillock.
Chapelton
G. Bail' an t-seipeil.  Kirkton :
Drumdyre
G. Druim(a)doighr ; doubtful; Daighre was an Irish personal name ; Maclruanaidh ua Daighre occurs in the Four Masters ; but it does not seem to occur in Scotland.
Bruichglass
Green brae.  Poyntzfield of old Ardoch, the high place.
Ballicherry
G. Bail a' cheathraimh, town of the quarter (davach).
Cavin
Smooth pass.
Toberchurn
Well of the cairn.
Capernich
G. Ceaparnach, or 'a' Cheaparnaich,' an extension of 'ceap,' a block, whence 'ceapach,' tillage plot ; cf. for formation 'a' Bheithearnaich' above.
Fleucherries; G. Fliuchairidh, the wet place ; a locative of 'fluch-ar-adh,' from 'fliuch,' wet. The ''s' is the English plural, as in Geanies, Pitellies, etc.
Jamimaville : a modern name.
An Bard Loisgte
The burnt meadow, near St martins.
Burnside
G. Tigh an daimh, ox-house.
Camperdown; G. form not found ; named after the battle of 1797.
Obsolete are:
Rostabrichty, situated, according to Blaeu's map, a little to the north-west of Braelangwell ; later Rosabrighty, 1740.
Auchnintyne 1580, a pendicle of 'Ballaskaillie'.
Wester Ballano 1580, mentioned in connection with the same.
Milltoun (Blaeu), on the 'burn of Milltoun,' apparently now Allt Dubhach (O.S.M.)

Return to home page
Terms & Conditions     © Ross and Cromarty Heritage