Pan Ross Social

Curling

Page 2 

ALLANGRANGE CURLING CLUB


Major Allan Cameron of Allangrange is the only Ross-shire curler to become President of the Royal Club. 'The Major', as he is popularly known, was also a leading player and has won many competitions in Scotland and abroad. He was the initiator of the 'Johnny Walker' tournament, at Aviemore, long one of the outstanding international events in the Scottish curling calendar. He has always taken a keen interest in young curlers and has encouraged Ross & Cromarty District Council to support them whenever possible.
[Allan Cameron died in 2008]

"It was agreed by the following to form a Curling Club, to be called the Allangrange Curling Club ....... James Mackenzie, Donald Maclean, Robert Allison, John Fraser, George MacGregor."

This is the opening entry in the Allangrange minute book, headed "Teandore, February 1st 1936".

Allangrange originated as an off-shoot of the Killearnan club and was intended for members "to be enrolled below Allangrange Station". The first Honorary Presidents were Captain R S and Mrs Fraser-MacKenzie, from whom ground for a curling pond was granted. The first President was Mr James MacKenzie, Millbank. The regular members at the time of the first AGM (8 April 1936) were - in addition to those already mentioned - John Younie, Ken MacRae, John MacRae and Matthew Symonds.

The bar to membership 'above' Allangrange Station was subsequently removed at the second AGM, on 26 September 1936, but intending members had to be voted in by two-thirds of the existing members. All of these early meetings were held in the school at Artafallie. The annual subscription was set at five shillings.

By October 1938 the members had built a clubhouse. Specifically mentioned are John Mackintosh and George MacGregor, who appear to have built it, and a number of members who subscribed £10 in total for materials.

The Grand Match, at this time, was held at Carsebreck, and every AGM contains a reference to the club entry to this competition. Presumably Carsebreck was chosen because of its proximity to the main Perth-Stirling railway line, which allowed easy access for curlers with their burden of Ailsa granite.

The AGM of 26 September 1939 contains the following motion: "that members should not be called upon to pay subscriptions this year, owing to the National Crisis". Club membership at this point reached 25, of whom, among the new members, were Andrew and Alastair Fraser, Alcaig; Alfred and John MacWilliam, Garguston; Hector Maclennan, Newton of Ferintosh; and the Rev G Ross Barnett.

Donald MacLean became President in 1940, becoming Honorary President in 1942. Allangrange is remarkable in that minutes are recorded throughout the whole wartime period. The club was involved during this time in fundraising for the Royal Northern Infirmary; very little curling took place.

Major Allan Cameron became a club member at the AGM of 12 October 1948, when the President was Sir Kerr Fraser Tytler. Later Presidents include Hector Maclennan, Alex Maclean, John Leggatt, R Macleod, A Anderson, A Logan and then, in 1957, Major Cameron.

The contribution by Major Cameron to North curling is considerable, but no history of the Allangrange club would be complete without mention of the Maclean family - Donald Jnr, Alex, Ian and Fraser, who were the mainstay of a very successful Allangrange rink and carried all before them in the sixties at both Provincial and Area level. Regrettably, at the present time, this wonderful record is in eclipse but, we hope, not permanently.

ALNESS
Instituted 1895 Admitted 1896


Curling at Alness

1904
President - Major Mackenzie
Vice-President - Major Walker

Representative Members - Major Mackenzie, Major Walker
Chaplain - Rev W L W Brown
Treasurer and Secretary - Hector Ross

Committee or Council of Management -
Major Mackenzie, Rev W Brown, Wm. Rae, Major Walker, Jas. Henderson, Robert Walker, H Ross, Jas. Forbes

Honorary Members -
Fred. Shoolbred of Gildermorrie (Kildermory), C W Dyson-Perrins of Ardross, Stewart C Munro of Teaninich

Ordinary Members (regular) -
Major Mackenzie, Joseph Reid, David Cramb, A Maciver, Rev W L W Brown, Hugh Ross, Jas. McLaren, J D Muir, Major Walker, T W Cuthbert, James Knowles, Don. Mackenzie, D Mackay, Robt. Walker, Peter Mackay, Jas. Henderson, James Forbes, Jack Henderson, John Sutherland, John Ross, Hector Ross, J H Jamieson, Joseph Ross, Wm. Mackenzie, R Macfarlane

Ordinary Members (occasional) -
Wm Stewart, R C Munro Ferguson of Novar, MP, Arch. Watson, J Fowler, Rev D Ferguson, J Cran, A B Davidson, Alex. R Munro, Colin Dingwall

2004
President - R Baxter

Representative Members -
Secretary - J McHarg
Treasurer - R Baxter
Match Secretary -
Ice Rink - Inverness
Members (ordinary) -
R Baxter, A Chappell, W Gill, Mrs C Macrae, J McHarg, C Page,
A Robertson, B Weaver

The name of Alness first appears in the competition of 1896 organised by the Ross-shire Association. The RCCC Annual of 1903 gives their President as Major Mackenzie and Vice-President Major Walker. At this point the Club comprised more than thirty members.

Mr T A Anderson Rae, from the Alness Club, became President of the Province in October 1951 and, again, in 1964, the Alness Club provided the Province President in the person of Mr Allan Moore. At this time the first League programme was proposed. Subsequently the Premier League became a competition for the Allan Moore Trophy.

More recently, in 1976, Mr Sandy Gordon of the Alness Club became Ross-shire President. His particular contribution to Ross-shire curling was his recognition of the need to encourage youngsters into the game. During his presidency schools' curling took hold and many of the best curlers in Ross-shire today owe a great deal to his foresight.

ARDGAY-BONAR
(Ross and Sutherland)
1904
Patrons -
Andrew Carnegie, Esq., LL.D., of Skibo
R T Coupland, Esq., of Gruinards

Patronesses -
Mrs Carnegie of Skibo
Mrs Hadwen of Balblair

President - John MacLeod, Ardgay

Vice-Presidents -
D Munro
W L Robertson

Representative Members -
C MacPherson, MD, Edinr.
J Macleod, Ardgay

Chaplain - Rev J W MacDonald, MA, BD
Treasurer and Secretary - J A Ellis, Ardgay

Committee or Council of Management -
D Shaw (convener), J Macpherson, J Fraser, W L. Robertson, W Moir, J A Ellis, J Ross
Honorary Members -
Sir Chas. Ross, Bart., of Balnagown; J A Brooke, Esq., of Fearn;
Rev J W MacDonald, MA; F T Gervers, Esq., of Amat; Col. Platt of Gruinards; Captain Stirling, Gledfield; W R Brown, Esq., Ardgay
Ordinary Members (regular) -
J MacPherson, J Fraser, D Shaw, J Macleod, W. L. Robertson, Donald Munro, W Moir, Jas. A Ellis, Dr J MacRae, F Munro, Norman Ross,
A L. Macmillan, John Ross, And. A Munro, A Anderson, John Cameron, D Sutherland, MA, W Wooley, Lieut.-Col. Macgregor, MD
Ordinary Members (occasional) -
W T Brown, Ardgay; J Brown, Invergordon; C MacPherson, MD, Edinr.

Continued on Page 3
Terms & Conditions     © Ross and Cromarty Heritage