Pan Ross History

Pan Ross Collage



L-r:  Calum Mackenzie, Kevin Macleod, Morris Colven.

On 8 March 2019 the Seaforth Highlanders Regimental Association held their 70th Reunion Dinner in Tulloch Castle, Dingwall.

Prior to the Dinner the Colours were paraded, led by Pipe Major Calum Mackenzie (former Pipe Major, Queen's Own Highlanders), with Colour Party members Morris Colven (ex-Royal Highland Furiliers) bearing the Queen's Colour, and Kevin Macleod (Seaforths Association member) bearing the Seaforth Highlanders Regimental Association Colour.

Pan Ross History

The Seaforth Highlanders

A foreword

The Seaforth Highlanders (Ross-shire Buffs, The Duke of Albany's) Ross-shire's own Highland regiment has had a long and colourful history. It was raised by the MacKenzie of Seaforth family in 1788 and was originally numbered the 72nd and the 78th Highlanders which were amalgamated to form the 1st and 2nd Battalions, The Seaforth Highlanders, in 1881.

The main recruiting area for the regiments was in Ross-shire with three-quarters of the men coming from the Ross-shire estates of the Mackenzie families.

Since then the regiment's recruiting area has been expanded to include Caithness, Sutherland, Moray and Nairn. Throughout their history Lowlanders, Englishmen, Welsh and Irish have also served in the regiment.

Those regiments have served in every part of the globe. Nine battalions of the regiment fought in the great war of 1914-18 with the Northern Battalions very prominent on the battle field i.e.4th Battalion (Ross-shire), 5th Battalion (Caithness and Sutherland), and the 6th Battalion (Morayshire)

In the second world war the 4th Battalion was captured at St. Valarey-en-Caux (France) in 1940 and was never formed again. At that time they were part of 152 (Highland Brigade) 51st (Highland Division). On the 15th May 1954 the Seaforth Highlanders received the Freedom of the Royal Burgh of Dingwall.

In January 1961 the 1st Seaforths left Munster (Germany) for Redford Barracks, Edinburgh, where on 7th Feb. 1961 the Seaforth Highlanders were amalgamated with the Queens Own Cameron Highlanders to form The Queen's Own Highlanders (Seaforth and Camerons). On 11th March 1961 the new regiment received the Freedom of the Royal Burgh Of Dingwall. On the 17th Sep. 1994 at Dreghorn Barracks, Edinburgh, the Queen's Own Highlanders (Seaforth and Camerons) were amalgamated with the Gordon Highlanders to form "The Highlanders" (Seaforth, Gordons and Camerons).

Queen Victoria had personal ties with the Seaforth Highlanders, notably one of her sons had his initial 'L' (Leopold), used in the officers' badge.


During the first World War, the only 4th Battalion Seaforth Highlander to win a Victoria Cross, was 200854 Sgt. John Meikle VC. MM. It is now on display in the Military Room of Dingwall Museum, where a large collection of medals and artifacts can be seen.

( Contributed by Ian MacLeod )


The Seaforth Highlanders Regimental Association


The Seaforth Highlanders Regimental Association was established in 1889. Their prime motive in forming the Association was to help the ex-servicemen of the regiment and their families to keep in contact with their comrades, and to help with any hardships which might occur after their service had expired.

The Seaforth Highlanders Association is still active, despite the many amalgamations of the various regiments, with branches in London, Nottingham, The Midlands of England, Ross-shire and Morayshire. Unfortunately the Glasgow and Edinburgh branches are now defunct.

The Ross-shire branch was formed in January 1945 and is still going strong. Time will tell how long it will continue into the future with many of the veterans of World War II passing away. The relaxing of some of the rules allowing Associated Members of The Seaforths to join has helped to swell the membership of the branch.

At the present moment Mr. Duncan Mackenzie (Chairman) is the longest serving member of the branch with over 50 years involvement. Mr. H. Chisholm, a Maryburgh man is Vice-Chairman, with two other Dingwall people, Mr. I. Macleod and Mr. P. Angus, acting as Secretary and Treasurer respectively. There are approximately 150 members of the branch. The Association hold their Annual Reunion Dinners in March each year on the nearest Friday to the 11th, to commemorate the 4th. Battalion Seaforth Highlanders first battle on 11th. March 1915 at Neuve-Chapelle in France.

Contributed by Ian Macleod  - July 2000


Page 1
 
Terms & Conditions     © Ross and Cromarty Heritage