Nigg and Shandwick Heritage

Highland Archaeology Week

Since 2007, during Highland Archaeology Week, Allan Kilpatrick of The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS) has led groups round the fortifications on the North Sutor and South Sutor entrances to the Cromarty Firth which were created prior to the 1914-1918 War and added to during the 1939-45 conflict. 
[Photos RCHS]


The North Sutor.

Nigg and Shandwick Archaeology


Gun emplacement (2008). Each of the larger guns had a 30 ft. barrel and could cover the Moray Firth down to Lossiemouth.


Adjacent, smaller, gun emplacement (2008)


Allan Kilpatrick of RCAHMS in the pit of the second large gun emplacement (2008). The tip of the South Sutor can be seen in the background.



Observation post overlooking Moray Firth.


Yet another relic of WW1 fortifications on Nigg hill.  [All photos RCHS]

Return to home page
Terms & Conditions     © Ross and Cromarty Heritage