Muir of Ord Places

Harper's Cairn, at the entrance to the car park in the centre of Muir of Ord.

The plaque on Harper's Cairn.  It reads:  "The original site of the cairn is reputed to have been in the garden of the adjacent schoolhouse.
The Chlarsair, or harper, according to local legend, was slain by Iain Dubh Ghiuthais to prevent disclosure of the theft of millstones, of which he was unfortunate to be spectator."

Muir of Ord Features


Muir of Ord War Memorial.

The Monument is a circular, truncated cone, about 7.5m (25 feet) in diameter at the base, and about the same in height.  Construction is of large stones cemented together. It stands about 100 metres back from the road, on a small hilly slope in a pleasant setting of trees (holly etc) and rhododendrons. Entrance to the grounds is via a metal gate about 100 metres along the west side of Corrie Road which comes off the A862 just west of the railway bridge. The map reference is NH527502 on OS Sheet 26.

The 1939-1945 War names are on a harp-shaped slab of red granite fixed on the lower front of the 1914 monument.

MAIRIDH AN RLIU GU BRATH

On the side of the monument is a bronze plate with the words:  PLACED BY PEOPLE OF
MUIR OF ORD IN COMMEMORATION OF 50th ANNIVERSARY V E DAY 8th MAY 1995.

Return to home page
Terms & Conditions     © Ross and Cromarty Heritage