Maryburgh Places

Maryburgh Community Collage

The photographs which follow were included in the Millennium Exhibition of 2000 and cover only a small part of properties in the village.

A short video "Birth and Growth of Maryburgh" was also produced for the Millennium Exhibition.


A tour round the village


Winter view from Dunglass Road.

Albert Place is a small row of terraced cottages at the entrance to the village from the direction of Dingwall.  The white gable end is that of the "other" village shop (now a private dwelling).


Proby Street looking west from Albert Place.


Proby Street looking east from entrance to Seaforth Place.


Proby Place is a small row of houses leading off from Proby Street.


The entrance to Mackenzie Place.


Some of the 30-plus houses in Mackenzie Place.


Seaforth Place is a crescent containing mainly traditional red sandstone cottages with a few wooden clad Swedish style houses built in the 1950s.


The wooden clad Swedish style houses.

Wrightfield Park is an estate of 50 houses built at the western end of the village between the railway bridge and the Conon bridge. The design of the estate won architectural awards at the time of construction.


The west end of Wrightfield Park after crossing the Conon bridge.


Some of the Wrightfield Park houses showing the landscaped bank between the houses and the main road.

The Macrae Estate.  This is a large estate of 100-plus houses, mostly detached, built by Macrae in 1968-72.  There are four streets in the estate: Rosshill Drive, Grant Crescent, Stuarthill Drive and Muirden Road.


Rosshill Drive.


Grant Crescent.




Birch Drive has been developed in stages.  The entrance to the estate is at the top of Hood Street, past the football field.


Hood Street looking up the hill from Proby Street.

Maryburgh Residential

Aerial photograph of Maryburgh taken on 16 August 1963, reproduced by kind permission of Mrs Rosemary Henderson, Maryburgh.

Map of Maryburgh in 1972 (Mrs Rosemary Henderson)

Old buildings of Maryburgh


The Tollhouse.
This octagonal building is situated at the Maryburgh end of  Thomas Telford's bridge (demolished and replaced by the "new" bridge) and was extended in the 1960s by its then owner, Robert Dougal, using stone from the demolished ice house adjacent to the property.


Sunnyholm (1828)


Drewellis (at one time the village inn)


Laburnum


Peartree Cottage (1824) the oldest house in the village.


Farm steading on Hood Street (adjacent to Peartree Cottage)


Glencanisp


Next to Glencanisp is Hermanville, outside which stood the village pump where residents would gather to fill buckets and have a "bleather".


Ussie Mills


Return to home page
Terms & Conditions     © Ross and Cromarty Heritage