Maryburgh History

Maryburgh Community Collage

Past industries in Maryburgh



Ussie Mill, Maryburgh, taken from the air, 1952.

Map of Maryburgh showing the Ussie Mill and dam

Map showing location of Mill in centre left.













Valuation Roll for Parish of Fodderty
The Fodderty Parish Valuation Roll with the Carden Mill and Land listed


 



Snuff and Lint Mill


Map showing location of Snuff and Lint Mill (1787)
The location of the SNUFF and LINT MILL is shown on an ESTATE MAP dated 1787, but there is no evidence to be seen of its exact location today.



 
Maryburgh bricks used in construction of old properties in Maryburgh
Maryburgh bricks used in construction of old properties in Maryburgh

Ussie Mill



This Corn and Meal mill was in operation during the second half of the 18th century.


The mill lade and dam can still be seen today and the water continues to flow along the lade into the dam. The mill is totally demolished.



CARDEN MILL


The CARDEN MILL is possibly of the same period as the USSIE MILL but, although the lade can be identified, only the outline ruins of the building foundation can be seen.

Site of remains of the foundations of the Carden Mill
Site of remains of the foundations of the Carden Mill.

Photo where the millwheel once stood.

This is the section of the Carden mill lade where the millwheel once stood.


Brick and Tile Works

On a later map, dated 1847, a brick and tile works is shown as being in production on a site immediately below the old road bridge at the north-east end of the village and probably continued in operation to a much later date. In fact, the modernisation of some old properties in Maryburgh has revealed the use of MARYBURGH BRICKS.


Maryburgh brick used in the construction of Hill Cottage, Proby St.
Maryburgh brick used in the construction of Hill Cottage, Proby St.
Terms & Conditions     © Ross and Cromarty Heritage