Lochbroom Folk

Lochbroom's Sacrifice in the Second World War

Page 25 


John Mackenzie 1887-1959
Robina Mackenzie 1889-1962

It was a catastrophic tragedy that three sons should die during WW2, hence the elaborate memorial to them in Lochbroom Churchyard where they are buried.

John Mackenzie (left) aged 33 (a skilled labourer) of Rose Cottage, Letters, Lochbroom, married Robina Mackenzie, 29, (a domestic servant) also of Letters, on 26th March 1919 at The Free Church, Dingwall. 


John Mackenzie (left), and the Mackenzie boys (right)
Photos Courtesy of Ullapool Museum Trust

On the right, in the back row, left to right, are Roddy and Finlay who were twins.  In the front row are Ian and Duncan

The first to die was Ian.

Aircraftman 2nd Class 1361427
Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve
281 Squadron
Died on 8th November 1942 aged 21

No.281 Squadron was formed on 29th March 1942 at RAF Ouston as an air-sea rescue squadron that served all around the British coast in a large number of detachments.  It was equipped with Boulton Paul Defiants.

Ian died of Pulmonary Tuberculosis and Tuberculous Meningitis in Bangour Hospital, Broxburn. West Lothian.

Able Seaman R238782
HM Tug Samsonia
Died on 21st April 1943 aged 20

Roderick was born on 27th July 1924.

HM Tug Samsonia

HM Tug Samsonia: 14th  September 1942 - completed and commissioned
6th October 1942 - sailed from Methil (Fife, Scotland) in Convoy EN 146/2, 
Arrived Loch Ewe 9th October 1942
1943 – the tug was based at Campbeltown as a Convoy Rescue Tug
24th February 1943 - taking over from HM Tug NIMBLE towed ss ARIGUANI from Gibraltar to Greenock and then to the Tyne arriving 22nd March 1943.

Roderick died at the Royal Naval Hospital, Haslar, Portsmouth of Status Epilepticus. 

Able Seaman, R238781
H.M. Rescue Tug Director
Died on 16th January 1945 aged 21
                          Tribute to Finlay at Lochbroom Churchyard.                       
                           Photo Clare Church

Finlay was born on 1st January 1923.

Photo courtesy of Imperial War Museum.

HM Tug Director (W137) was launched on 28th December 1943.

The Director was towing a floating dock from the River Clyde round the north of Scotland to Invergordon.  They ran into a storm in the Pentland Firth.  The hawser snapped which struck Finlay on the head and he died immediately.

Return to Contents
Terms & Conditions     © Ross and Cromarty Heritage