Lochbroom Folk

Lochbroom's Sacrifice in the Second World War

Page 09


4th Battalion Seaforth Highlanders

Twenty four 4th Battalion, Seaforth Highlanders are buried in Mareuil-Caubert Communal Cemetery, situated 6 kilometres south of Abbeville along the D503 (Rue de Genéral Leclerc).  


Photo:  Clare Church
The Battalion suffered heavy casualties including seven men from the Ullapool and surrounding area.  Those whose bodies were not recovered nor identified are commemorated on the Dunkirk Memorial.

Those killed on 4th June are:
Major Simon Keith Fraser, MC, 30436
Private Kenneth Angus Macdonald, 2822663
Private Kenneth Charles Mackenzie, 2822670
Private William Mackenzie, 2820637
Private Colin Charles Macleod, 29822655
Corporal John Macmillan, 2822379

Private John Macaulay, 2822847 died of injuries on 7th June 1940
Major 30436
Killed in action on 4th June 1940 aged 42

Simon was born on 18th August 1897 at Thorpville, Old Rayne, Aberdeenshire, son of James Wilson Fraser, landed proprietor and Army Captain, and Edith (née Knowles).  They had married on 24th June 1891 at St Peter’s Church, Swinton, Manchester.

In 1901 the family was living at Errogie, Dores, near Inverness with Edith aged 31 as Head of House, Army Major’s wife, with children Andrew K (8), John (6), Isobel M (5) Simon K (3) Elizabeth (1) and 4 servants.  Simon is not with his family in 1911 but at Cargilfield Preparatory School at Cramond, Midlothian.

In WW1 Simon served with the 9th Battalion, the Seaforth Highlanders (B Company), which was raised at Fort George in October 1914.  After initial training in Scotland the Battalion moved to Aldershot in November.  The London Gazette records that he was promoted to Temporary 2nd Lieutenant on 26th November 1914.  On 3rd December the Battalion joined the 9th (Scottish) Division.  It became a Pioneer Battalion in early 1915 and proceeded to France, landing at Boulogne on 10th May 1915 with 27 officers and 859 other ranks.  The Medal Index Roll (below) confirms that Simon’s first Theatre of War was in France, commencing on 11th May 1915.  
Terms & Conditions     © Ross and Cromarty Heritage