Kilmuir and Logie Easter Places

Balnagown Castle  [Photo courtesy of Tain Museum Trust]


Kings' Causeway
The route or bridal path taken by royal visitors King James IV and V when on pilgrimages to the shrine of St Duthac chapel in Tain. This part of the causeway was built with stones over a peat bog as the royal pilgrims were approaching in bare feet. Vestiges of the original route still exist. [Photo courtesy of Tain Museum Trust]


Churches         Click to view

Commercial     Click to view

Features            Click to view

Public                 Click to view
     

Kilmuir and Logie Easter Places of Interest


Balnagown Bridge

Built mid seventeen century. General Roy's maps of 1750 show three main roads in the region between Dingwall and Tain, these stone bridges indicate a regular well used route along north shore of Cromarty firth, but until the parliamentary act of 1669 creating the statute Labour system there was no method of maintaining such roads. 1999 sees Balnagown road bridge completely renewed to modern structional standards.
[Photo courtesy of Tain Museum Trust]


King James IV bridge
Within site of Balnagown castle is the graceful hump back bridge fording the river of that name. Restored by Baron David Ross early 17th century, once it carried the main road to Tain and got its name from the regular pilgrimages across it by King James IV on his way to the shrine of St Duthas at Tain.  [Photo courtesy of Tain Museum Trust]

Dalrannich House

Mrs Catherine Mackay or Munro bought a piece of land in Scotsburn from Sir Charles Henry Augustus Frederick Lockhart Ross of Balnagowan, a Baronet, for the sum of £300 in 1918. She converted Dalrannich which was just a croft house and byre into a house "like the gentry's" cica 1922 after the death of her husband. She inherited about £250,000 from her brother who had made his fortune in corned mutton in Australia in 1921.
She lived in the house with her niece and they had a chauffeur/handyman called Davey Forbes. The niece married Davey who was much younger than her and the Aunt built the bungalow next door for them. On her death they lived in Dalrannich which was then called Scotsburn Villa. On the niece's death Davey had life rent of the house and of the bungalow. The rent for the bungalow was set at £2 per week.
The house was empty for 7 years from 1967 until the Wilkersons bought it in 1974. They consulted Watson's place names of Ross and Cromarty and called the house Dalrannich (the place of the bracken).
The house changed hands again in November 1997 to the present owners.
A picture of Catherine also known as Greeting Kate is proudly displayed in Dalrannich House today.
Cost of building in stone in 1922 was £800.  Cost of building the stone wall round the perimeter of the croft was £1000.  Under the wallpaper in the bathroom there are the names of the workmen who did the conversions on the house in 1922.  These names were added to by the workmen carrying out work in 1997.
Lou Wilkerson furnished us with all this wonderful history when we bought the house in 1997.
The Morrison Family
Dalrannich House
May 2000


 Marybank Lodge
This 18th century building, situated on an open position at the edge of the steep slope to the river and fish farm buildings below. Swiss Cottage and the castle are viewed across the river to the south; the driveway entrance is from the Marybank-Lamington road, one mile from Kildary. Modern flats are incorporated into the shooting lodge for inclusive use of the sporting clients of the estate.   [Photo courtesy of Tain Museum Trust]
Terms & Conditions     © Ross and Cromarty Heritage