Gairloch Places

Gairloch Transport

Gairloch Pier
Gairloch Pier with three fishing boats anchored alongside. In the background are the Torridon Mountains, with the peaks of Baosbheinn and Ben Alligin left and right.

Badachro jetty.  Build about 1840 in association with Badachro House (a former merchant's house).


Jetties in front of Aird House
The jetties, apart from their normal use in loading and unloading goods, were used on Sundays to enable people from Port Henderson, Opinan and so on to embark on the boat taking them across Gairloch to church when the tide prevented the use of the main jetty beside Badachro Inn.


Port na Moine, Badachro
Originally the port for handling peat. This with its large jetty and associated house was the property of the Stornoway Fishing Co., built in the late 1800's at the time of the herring boom.


Road from Melvaig to Rhu Reidh lighthouse.  The last house in Melvaig can be seen on the left of the photograph.

Return to home page
Terms & Conditions     © Ross and Cromarty Heritage