Gairloch Places

Gairloch Community Collage
Browsers are reminded that the photographs in this section were taken some years ago and the details are not necessarily accurate at this time of reloading to the Internet (2015)

Browsers should also note that the "story" is in our title - Ross and Cromarty Heritage Society.

Gairloch Commercial Buildings

Amazon Seafoods

Badachro Inn.  Built about 1840 and frequented by fishermen using the jetty and the small harbour between it and the Inn.

Farquhar Macrae's shop, Melvaig.  The fittings from the shop are now in Gairloch Heritage Museum.

Gairloch Seafoods

The Harbour Centre, Gairloch.  When this photograph was taken the building contained a cafe and pottery.  At that time the cafe was owned and run by Mr and Mrs Whall and the pottery was owned and run by Mr and Mrs Howard.

Chandlery, Gairloch Pier
The chandlery and booking office was built in 1990 after the realignment of the road in connection with the development of Gairloch Harbour. Built by Mr John Mackenzie (Johnny Occo), who used it in connection with nautical activities such as boating, sea-angling, and passenger cruises round the bay.

The business offers a wide range of activities. The shop sells marine chandlery, knitwear, footwear, clothing, gifts and ice-creams.

Honeysuckle Cottage and Shop, Badachro
Owned by Roddie McLean who kept a very well stocked shop. It was popular with children from the school opposite who went there for their sweeties. The little front garden was full of rose bushes.

Bank of Scotland, Gairloch
The present office was opened in 1974. The Bank of Scotland took over the business of the Caledonian Bank on 17th. August, 1907. The Caledonian Bank was established in Charlestown in 1865, with Mr. Alexander Burgess as Agent/Manager. When the Bank was taken over by the Bank of Scotland Mr. Burgess continued as Manager until his death in 1915.

The Bookshop, Gairloch
Opened in June 1992 by Miss Irene Duffy. Situated on the foreshore of Strath. A wide selection of books is available; also cards, music tapes, C.D.'s, and paintings. A tea-room is also within. The shop closed in September, 1999.
The Bookshop Interior 1
Photograph of part of the front and back rooms of the Bookshop showing well-stocked shelves. To the left of the back window is a display of greeting cards.
The Bookshop Interior 2
The tea-room area of the bookshop. Paintings for sale are also displayed in this room.

Kerry Boat Charters

Fish Shop, Gairloch
The Fish Shop situated at Achtercairn and belonging to Mr. Donald Macrae. The building also houses a Fish and Chip Shop.  Behind the counter is Mrs Barbara Grainger, the shop assistant. Miss Janette French, Curator of the Gairloch Heritage Museum, stands in front of the display unit.

MacRae's Seafood, Gairloch
Seafood processing factory opened in January, 1996. Managed by Donald MacRae and his son, also Donald MacRae. The family run business deals in all kinds of fish and shellfish and specialises in a range of cooked products.

Millcroft Hotel, Gairloch
Owned and run by Mr and Mrs. Gino. Specialises in Italian food.

The Main Post Office, Gairloch - Exterior
Here the mail for the parish of Gairloch is sorted and distributed. Irene Lamb, the present postmistress, also runs the adjacent art gallery, with her artist husband, Les.
(Second photo) Pictured, are Irene Lamb, postmistress and the postal deliverers, Roddie MacKenzie (Port Henderson), Jamie Johnson (South Erradale) and Alison Campbell (Opinan).

Myrtle Bank Hotel, Gairloch.  Owned and run by Mr and Mrs Maclean.  Recently refurbished.  Scottish Tourist Board award of three stars.

Old Inn, Gairloch

Post Office, Badachro
Mr. Dingwall, jr., who was the local postman, used this corrugated iron building, next to the road. It had previously been the tailor's shop.  The building, at the head of the bay, was the Post Office much used by fishermen from visiting boats to send telegrams regarding their catches. Earlier it had been the smiddy.

The Old Store, Badachro
Built about 1860 by a Mr McCallum who came from the original clachan to the East of the village. Used as a shop below and dwelling house above. The shop was in use until 1950 and its account books show that it was much used by visiting fishing boats and for victualling local boats as well as by people from as far distant as Melvaig who would go there by sea.

Old Post Office and Steading, Opinan
The post office was attached to the end of the house. The last postmistress was Mrs Isobel Macpherson who took over from her father Mr Hector MacKenzie. She retired c.1949.  Mr. Hector MacKenzie ran a co-operative from the house and supplied oatmeal, flour, clothing and flannel to make clothes.  (Maggie MacKenzie, Sunnyside, Gairloch.)

Post Office, Melvaig
The Post Office is run from the home of the Post Mistress Ann Nash.

Post Office, Opinan
Post Mistress, Mrs Alison Campbell. The Post Office is open Monday to Thursday from 4-5 pm. This building has served as the local post office since 1949 and was at that time run by Alison's father, John MacKenzie, until his retirement.

Petrol Station and Garage, Gairloch.  Owned and run by Mr Murdo Mackenzie.

Sail Gairloch
"Sail Gairloch" run by Ian and Ann Birks, Strath, Gairloch. The BBC Wildlife magazine, 1994, recorded the Minch as the most favourable habitat for cetaceans in the seas around Britain. After many years of studying them, Ian and Ann decided to formalise their work by establishing the Marine Life Survey of all local sightings of whales, dolphins and porpoises, and to liaise with the National Sea Watch Foundation (1994). During that year, between April and October, Ian sighted 1081 cetaceans, but his interests and observations cover all wildlife - otters, sea-birds and seals.

Mace store

Old drill hall, Opinan

Return to home page
Terms & Conditions     © Ross and Cromarty Heritage