Dingwall Heritage

Major General Sir Hector Archibald Macdonald, KCB, DSO


Frederick Walter Urquhart, photographer.

Many old photographs of people and places bear the inscription "Urquhart, Dingwall".

F W Urquhart, at one time a Bailie and Senior Magistrate of Dingwall, served a photographic apprenticeship in the town before establishing his studio in Harper's Court in 1896.  He was a gunner in the Royal Artillery during WW1 and the last man to fire cannons situated at the Macdonald Monument on Armistice Day.

He worked from his studio until 1947 when his son-in-law, Mr Ian Sutherland, took over the business and continued to operate from this small building until vandals torched it (1960s/1970s?), thus erasing much of Ross-shire's history.
                




Dingwall's Famous People

Major General Sir Hector Macdonald, KCB, DSO

Although born at Mulbuie, on the Black Isle, Hector Macdonald was greatly revered by the people of Dingwall and on 11 May 1899 awarded him the Freedom of the town. The photographs which follow are in the ownership of Ross and Cromarty Heritage Society.


General Sir Hector Macdonald.  Photograph may have been taken at Lemlair House.


On 13 May 1899 Sior Hector Macdonald was awarded the Freedom of Dingwall.  The town was thronged for the occasion.  This photograph is thought to have been taken outside the Masonic Hall (later the Picture House) and the building facing is the gable end of what is now Deas' tearoom.


Inside the Masonic Hall for luncheon following the Freedom ceremony.
 l-r:  The Provost(?), Sir Hector, Lady Macdonald, and ?

Dingwall Museum holds a considerable number of artefacts associated with Sir Hector, including the Freedom casket.  Email:  enquiries@dingwallmuseum.co.uk

Return to home page
Terms & Conditions     © Ross and Cromarty Heritage