Conon Bridge Places

Conon Bridge Community Collage

Conon Bridge Locations

CONON BRIDGE in the Highlands of Scotland in the late 1950s

Photograph of the Conon Bridge in the Easter Ross village of the same name in the late 1950s when it was still a temporary structure built over the original which had been damaged by heavy tanks using it during wartime. Crossing the bridge, on the old main A9 road between Dingwall and Inverness, is VGB 645 which was a Ford Prefect of 1958, being hotly pursued by a Highland Omnibuses Guy Arab on service from Dingwall to Inverness. Like so many other buses in this fleet it had an interesting pedigree, having originally operated as a double decker with London Transport during World War 2. The SMT group, of which 'Highland' was a member, purchased a number of these vehicles in 1952, rebuilt them in their workshops at Portobello to single deck specification as seen, and re-registered them, this one becoming JWS 124. Behind the bus at the end of the bridge on the left may be seen the garage premises where Frank Menzies built his famous vehicles.

Return to home page
Terms & Conditions     © Ross and Cromarty Heritage